home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:09 pm

I actually found the mic (surprised even myself). Hooked it up, ran a test. No noise coming from the sub.

I ordered a new cable. Will have it around Monday. After that, shrug.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:54 pm

Worked as an A/V and sound-reinforcement tech in college. When something isn't working, first thing is to check all of the cables and connections. That solved the problem about 90% of the time. Connectors can oxidize over time, so just repeatedly plugging and unplugging and twisting the connectors around was always the first thing to try.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm

Well, I received my new cable for my subwoofer. Hooked it up and ran set up. Still no noise coming from the sub. Balls.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Maybe the cable is plugged in backwards?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:28 pm

lol, dick.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Funny guy.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 pm

I normally have my desktop act as my media machine...it HDMI's into a television as it's ordinary monitor. Sometimes in loops through a stereo receiver - but not now.

I'm now connecting the same machine to a different TV, in a different room, and it's not playing sound through the TV...it's playing it through the desktop in the other room. I pursued the obvious steps of going to the playback devices, even clicked "show disabled" or whatever devices and the TV just isn't obviously a choice...

There's something called "digital video recorder" which has those red, yellow, white (or whatever) cables as the icon...when I test that, the volume perks up on screen, but nothing makes a sound anywhere regardless of TV or computer volume. The only successful sound I can get is out the PC speakers...

What am I missing here...? This seems like such an obvious thing to accomplish...
I did some more testing here. I swapped out my old HDMI cord for this new one and it worked - video and audio. So, I know the cord is capable. But for some reason when I hook it up to my Samsung TV (instead of the Toshiba I have in my office) it only sends video. My computer recognizes the "device" Samsung TV, but there's no HDMI audio output to hook to.

I tried to force Realtek drivers and I just got the "device cannot start (code 10)"

I don't even know what the next step is to solve this, to be honest...should I buy...something...? Like, this isn't hard...HDMI from PC to TV, how do I even introduce another element to this...? ****** nuts to this man...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:17 pm

My sub had two knobs. One for sensitivity (gain?) and one for 'volume.' I just fiddle with the sensitivity one until it kicks on during movies. That said I haven't actually hooked it up since I moved.
This is the back of the one I have.

The only thing I'm sure of is what the volume knob and power switch do. The low pass and fade I just fiddle with till it sounds good.

This is by far Mrs. F's least favorite thing I have ever purchased. :lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Does anyone else use Fubotv? I was on the 7 day free trial to watch the Pens on ATTsports, and the stream quality seemed to be fuzzy and pooh.

I'm trying to decide if I should sign up and get rid of the NHL.tv/Yondertv work around for the games. But the quality of stream is mediocre at best. Not sure if anyone else has the same issue.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Everyone sign up for FuboTV for a week. I need to drop their stock...

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:56 pm

I have used it via a friend...stream seemed generally fine in my usage, but it was during baseball season, so nothing else was going on and baseball is too slow of a game for it to matter...I don't recall seeing a hockey with it...

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Does it have a DVR feature? I remember it was about $60 a month which is why I didn't opt-in for the Pens. I already have a dedicated core streaming platform in YoutubeTV so I don't need a second just for the Pens.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm

I need a vpn to watch pens games on espn+. Any recommendations?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:10 pm

I need a vpn to watch pens games on espn+. Any recommendations?
Whatever you choose, make sure there's a trial period and you test it out with ESPN+. They have some VPN protection and a lot of providers don't work.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:14 pm

I use Express VPN and it's been rock solid for me.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Which Youtube video and/or podcast did you use a promo code from to sign up for that?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:18 pm

I don't know much about VPNs but in my little bit of research I did, I saw that Express VPN was recently purchased by a sketchy looking company called Kape Technologies.
Kape Technologies started as “Crossrider,” which was known for distributing adware products in browser extensions or other software programs.

And, to evade its past activities while continuing to benefit from its popularity, they renamed the company, claiming that they wanted to focus on privacy and security.
https://www.makeuseof.com/expressvpn-ka ... ffect-you/

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:58 pm

Does anyone else use Fubotv? I was on the 7 day free trial to watch the Pens on ATTsports, and the stream quality seemed to be fuzzy and pooh.

I'm trying to decide if I should sign up and get rid of the NHL.tv/Yondertv work around for the games. But the quality of stream is mediocre at best. Not sure if anyone else has the same issue.
FUBO is great. And it has DVR @dodint

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:58 pm

Good to know, thanks!

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:01 pm

I actually liked yttv a little better. But they don't have ATTSN. The interface was a little cleaner and the suggested stuff that would come up was pretty nice. But, FUBO does everything I need it to do. So it's whatever

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm

I have Hulu with Live TV as my main source. It's really good as well IMO.

I used NHL.tv and MLB.tv with yondertv as the workaround. Their stream quality was great IMO and it was nice watching every game. The only thing was it was a pain in the ass constantly changing DNS codes because the ESPN app isn't available overseas and so it be blocked if I wanted to watch Pitt Soccer, baseball or something on the ACCNX.

So I was going to get rid of all of that workaround and just go with Fubo for hockey season. The streaming quality just doesn't seem up to NHL.tv or even Hulu. It's not the end of the world, but just wondering if it was just me. I looked up some articles and most did say Fubo doesn't have the same streaming quality as these other sites.

Just need to decide if I'm going with it or sticking with NHL.tv.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:27 am

I normally have my desktop act as my media machine...it HDMI's into a television as it's ordinary monitor. Sometimes in loops through a stereo receiver - but not now.

I'm now connecting the same machine to a different TV, in a different room, and it's not playing sound through the TV...it's playing it through the desktop in the other room. I pursued the obvious steps of going to the playback devices, even clicked "show disabled" or whatever devices and the TV just isn't obviously a choice...

There's something called "digital video recorder" which has those red, yellow, white (or whatever) cables as the icon...when I test that, the volume perks up on screen, but nothing makes a sound anywhere regardless of TV or computer volume. The only successful sound I can get is out the PC speakers...

What am I missing here...? This seems like such an obvious thing to accomplish...
I did some more testing here. I swapped out my old HDMI cord for this new one and it worked - video and audio. So, I know the cord is capable. But for some reason when I hook it up to my Samsung TV (instead of the Toshiba I have in my office) it only sends video. My computer recognizes the "device" Samsung TV, but there's no HDMI audio output to hook to.

I tried to force Realtek drivers and I just got the "device cannot start (code 10)"

I don't even know what the next step is to solve this, to be honest...should I buy...something...? Like, this isn't hard...HDMI from PC to TV, how do I even introduce another element to this...? ****** nuts to this man...
I had one of my friends come over last night who is like an A/V expert - works in a relevant field, blah, blah, blah...he also couldn't figure it out. So, that makes me feel slightly better. What made me feel even better was that he had a next step to solve...he suggested a mini-PC that I could basically stick behind my TV or thereabouts and use that to stream things...

Any experience with mini-PCs to stream via HDMI? Seems like a fairly straightforward, affordable purchase, but is there anything in particular I need to be looking out for...? I definitely need it to be a Windows device, other than that, I don't have any specific reqs off hand...

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 am

Anyone use the Philips hue led lightstrip or sync box? I think they would be incredibly cool for a couch tour or concerts, but have a bad feeling they could be pretty distracting for movies. I currently either go black room or turn on the 6500K bias light behind the tv. Thoughts on these?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:56 pm

What do we think about this:

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/UM700-Windows-Desktop-Computer-Graphics/dp/B08QZFZBZD/ref=psdc_565098_t1_B093BBLB4K?th=1
For use as a dedicated sports streaming device...? Seems plenty fine...

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:58 pm

I will never recommend a computer to you again after the form factor debacle.