home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am

Got my new TV...arrived with the bottom corner of the screen shattered...dummmmmmmmmmmbbbbbbbbb...
Replacement: After five (!) attempts to deliver it to a person who works during the day, I finally convinced FedEx (as opposed to UPS who broke the first one) to just leave it at a location close to me instead of trying infinity times to deliver it (those were fun conversations...they even tried to deliver one Saturday at 10:57 pm...come on, mas puta...you know I'm not home then either, I have a ****** life...)

Anywho, they leave it, I swing by and grab it. I open it up, and this screen is also cracked. So, I called Best Buy and said "I want nothing to do with either of these, cancel the order, I want my money back, come pick both these TVs up...as you never got the first one from two, three weeks ago...I'm not home during the day, so I'm not going to re-arrange my life for you to pick up damaged equipment, so figure it out...bye."

So ******* dumb...can't I just receive a non-broken TV? Is that so hard?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:18 am

Why not just have it delivered to the store and pick it up yourself?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:23 am

Can't Best Buy just deliver it? They delivered my 65" Sony on Sunday morning - no problems.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

I want things delivered directly to me. I am a young, sexy consumer, I want to consume things without putting in any work at all.

This will have to be an exception I suppose...because of these no-talent ass clowns...

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

Why not just have it delivered to the store and pick it up yourself?
Something tells me mikey doesn't own a car.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 am

Well, you were going to pick it up at the hub anyway. I order lots of stuff from Amazon and similar sites, but something as fragile as a TV I'm not entrusting to 8-10 sets of hands along the delivery path.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:29 am

I do not. I forgo the car thing and put that money towards rent so that I'm already at everything at all times.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am

There are truck/van specific app-share services, and Turo. Make it happen already.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:32 am

I do not. I forgo the car thing and put that money towards rent so that I'm already at everything at all times.
I suspected as much. Your tales of living in the city seemed to never involve a vehicle of your own.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am

To his point, it really isn't difficult to deliver a TV.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 am

So I think I'm going to do the cord-cutting thing.
I have comcast now, so this is the plan.

End Cable, keep the internet.. although I'm not sure there is a minimum internet connection needed - we pretty much only have 1 TV on at all, (nothing in the bedrooms)... maybe in a year or two we will put a second one downstairs when the basement is finished and the kids are older. I think I have extreme pro or performance pro as part of a package, but I think I can downgrade that.

We have netflix and amazon, and the only thing I was thinking of adding is Youtube.TV
Seems to have all the channels we would watch, and though a bit more expensive... seems pretty easy.

Hockey wise - I'll follow the suggestions here, but I'll probably just stream via my laptop or something since most of the time my wife doesn't want to watch hockey anyway.

Sound about right?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm

I made this decision last week and found this comparative channel guide very helpful: https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-now-vs-y ... -compared/

I ultimately determined that PS Vue had the best channel offering for the money. You might want to compare it directly to Youtube TV before making a decision.

My biggest loss in channels is Comedy Central; it's not available on Vue or YTV. Sad.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:11 pm

So I think I'm going to do the cord-cutting thing.
I have comcast now, so this is the plan.

End Cable, keep the internet.. although I'm not sure there is a minimum internet connection needed - we pretty much only have 1 TV on at all, (nothing in the bedrooms)... maybe in a year or two we will put a second one downstairs when the basement is finished and the kids are older. I think I have extreme pro or performance pro as part of a package, but I think I can downgrade that.

We have netflix and amazon, and the only thing I was thinking of adding is Youtube.TV
Seems to have all the channels we would watch, and though a bit more expensive... seems pretty easy.

Hockey wise - I'll follow the suggestions here, but I'll probably just stream via my laptop or something since most of the time my wife doesn't want to watch hockey anyway.

Sound about right?
Yep, just went through all of this last week.

Upgraded my internet to Zoom III with Armstrong. 400 download and 25 upload speed.

Have HuluTV, Philo, Netflix and Prime. (Already had Netflix and Prime).

Getting NHL.tv for Pens and yonder.tv to block the blackout.

Just an FYI, if you are planning on watching football on CBS, CBS doesn't convert streaming to 60fps yet, so when they throw the ball downfield, it gets blurry. They are still streaming at 30fps. So if you watch the Steelers, that may bother you. I'm actually picking up an atenna for like $30 to watch the Steelers until they fix that issue.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm

I made this decision last week and found this comparative channel guide very helpful: https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-now-vs-y ... -compared/

I ultimately determined that PS Vue had the best channel offering for the money. You might want to compare it directly to Youtube TV before making a decision.

My biggest loss in channels is Comedy Central; it's not available on Vue or YTV. Sad.
Depends how much you watch TV if this would be worth it, but Philo TV literally had like every other channel Hulu/YouTube/PSvue doesn't carry (AMC, Hallmark, Comedy Central, Nick, etc) for $20/month. I just signed up for it, and now literally have every channel I watched before and more with cable (minus ATTSports).

Again, may not be worth it if you don't watch a lot of TV. I know you don't have kids so you don't need the Nick channels (unless you like them). But combining Philo with the other main streaming services covers pretty much everything.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 pm

I used this as well. Very handy.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Depends how much you watch TV if this would be worth it, but Philo TV literally had like every other channel Hulu/YouTube/PSvue doesn't carry (AMC, Hallmark, Comedy Central, Nick, etc) for $20/month. I just signed up for it, and now literally have every channel I watched before and more with cable (minus ATTSports).

Again, may not be worth it if you don't watch a lot of TV. I know you don't have kids so you don't need the Nick channels (unless you like them). But combining Philo with the other main streaming services covers pretty much everything.
Smart.

Also, the Firestick 4k I got for half-off yesterday comes with a 2 month 50% off Philo, so it might be worth giving it a shot. Thanks!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:56 pm

This is a Viacom thing. They pulled all their channels off Vue some time ago in a suicide-by-cop exercise of wildly overpricing their content (not sure how they departed other services), and then earlier this year they announced a deal with fuboTV. (Which is weird, because I thought fubo was like 99% sports channels.)

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:59 pm

That CNET article has a Google Sheets link which makes objectively figuring this out pretty easy, so thanks again NAN for the supplemental Philo recommendation. By supplementing the top-tier of PS Vue ($85) with Philo ($20) I get DVR from both services, and Philo gets me the following channels that PS Vue does not have:

A&E
BET
Comedy Central
FYI
History
Lifetime
Lifetime Movie Network
MTV
MTV2
Nickelodeon
Nick Jr.
Nicktoons
Paramount Network
TV Land
VH1
Viceland

That's actually not bad. Comedy Central and the Pawn Stars Channel might be worth the $20 right there. So for $105/mo I'm getting basically everything I had before except for the Pens who I'm happy to stream illegally because they've not provided a market solution. Nice! I currently pay $203/mo for DirecTV satellite.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:05 pm

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:45 am

Do any of you know how to change DNS on a router? I need to do that for yonder.tv. Roku doesn't have it's own DNS and defaults to Google DNS, so you have to change it on your router for it to work (same with the other blackout services).

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:46 am

Just type in your router address into a browser, no? 192.168.1.1 or what have you...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 am

What router do you have? You're either going to be using https://192.168.0.1 or https://192.168.1.1 to access its admin console. Look for a WAN section, and your external DNS servers should be listed there.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 am

What router do you have? You're either going to be using https://192.168.0.1 or https://192.168.1.1 to access its admin console. Look for a WAN section, and your external DNS servers should be listed there.
It's Hitron (provided by Armstrong). The https://192.168.0.1.

So what do I do? Do I go to that, but in the admin name and password, and switch it to whatever yonder.tv tells me to? Do I have to be connected to that router to do so too?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:57 am

So what do I do? Do I go to that, but in the admin name and password, and switch it to whatever yonder.tv tells me to? Do I have to be connected to that router to do so too?
Yes, you'd have to use the DNS IP addresses that Yonder provided you. You don't need to be plugged directly into the router; so long as you can access the admin console through a browser you should be fine.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:05 am

Yes, you'd have to use the DNS IP addresses that Yonder provided you. You don't need to be plugged directly into the router; so long as you can access the admin console through a browser you should be fine.
Thanks. I'm going to give it a shot tonight and test it on Wednesday for the preseason game on ATTsports.

Hopefully this works. Also, hopefully it doesn't mess up my KDKA, WTAE, etc.