home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:50 am

I just went through all of my TiVo season passes, and god damn do I have a lot on Science Channel. It would be a real bummer to lose out on that. I may sign up for a trial of YouTube TV to see if we like it before we make any decisions.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 am

I like how it handles DVR. You basically tell it what shows/events you want and it just starts building a library as the shows air. Maybe all the new streaming services do that, but the recordings are kept nice and neat, organized by season. If there are duplicates you get a drop down and can pick which one you want to watch, and any VOD items are automatically populated.

My prior experience was with DirectTV which had a much clunkier UI so I very much enjoy this. I'll often tag something, wait a few months, and the whole series will be there due to re-airings.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:00 am

I like how it handles DVR. You basically tell it what shows/events you want and it just starts building a library as the shows air. Maybe all the new streaming services do that, but the recordings are kept nice and neat, organized by season. If there are duplicates you get a drop down and can pick which one you want to watch, and any VOD items are automatically populated.

My prior experience was with DirectTV which had a much clunkier UI so I very much enjoy this. I'll often tag something, wait a few months, and the whole series will be there due to re-airings.
I'm interested in seeing it in action, because I love everything about TiVo, so it's probably going to be a dramatic shift for me. It would be hard giving those up, but since they all have Lifetime service, I'd probably make a few hundred selling them on eBay. If I do decide to switch, I'll send you a PM for the YouTube TV referral if you want it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:04 am

I have one more question that is probably an obvious answer: say you have a recording on Fox for a TV show, but the baseball game before it goes long. Does YouTube TV still capture the show in full, or is it like traditional cable, etc. where it will just record the timeframe, so part of the show is cut off?

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:09 am

Can't speak for YTTV, but with Hulu, it records the show block, not the time, so it will push it back. I'm sure it's similar with YTTV too.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 am

That would be a nice upgrade. Looking at eBay, I may be able to get anywhere from $485-$550 for my three TiVos thanks to Lifetime subscriptions on them.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:21 am

I have one more question that is probably an obvious answer: say you have a recording on Fox for a TV show, but the baseball game before it goes long. Does YouTube TV still capture the show in full, or is it like traditional cable, etc. where it will just record the timeframe, so part of the show is cut off?
It will extend the broadcast. There a hiccups here in there, like sportscar racing on CBSSN being preempted by volleyball or whatever, but with NFL or hockey they just push the recording out to like 10 minutes past the live action. It also records on all networks, so stuff like MNF will capture across all networks (Manningcast, ABC, ESPN, etc.)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:40 pm

I just checked, and apparently I no longer get Science Channel on FiOS, so this is looking more like a done deal. So long as the YTTV interface isn't garbage, I cannot justify spending $50/mo keeping what I have. I'll give the trial a shot once I get back from vacation.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:20 pm

We added a show from CNN to our YTTV DVR. On playback, it prompted an ad break containing 14 ads, some of which were individually 90 seconds in length. Each episode had between 4 and 6 of these breaks interstitially.

No thank you. I guess we'll never know what prompted Rudy Giuliani's fall from grace.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm

That's what happens when you play from VOD. If you play from a 'recording' you can ffwd through the ad breaks. When you put a show in the library for the first time it will populate with VOD offerings. As the shows air live and is captured you'll have the option to play the 'recording.'

Sometimes when I watch a series I haven't seen in a while I'll pick the oldest recording so I can ffwd through older commercials I've forgotten about.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:32 pm

Ah, so you still get ads on YTTV? Kinda sucks, but so long as you can fast forward through them, cool by me.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:35 pm

Well, yeah, it's still network TV.

Some of the networks are broke as **** and don't even have ads, just the commercial breaks. :lol:

Looking at you, TasteMade.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:39 pm

Yeah, we just skip through the DVR recording. No biggie.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:37 am

For YTTV, if you go to record an episode of something, does it always just record all episodes? I want to test this out and it appears to just record all.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:41 am

Yes, I haven't played with settings (because we want it to record all) but if you add a show to your watchlist, it records everything. Including reruns, when those occur.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:58 am

Yeah. You're basically tagging a series when you add it to your library. If you untag the series it will stop recording but retain the series until the recordings expire.

They won't stay on your Home/Library main screen for that long, though. Eventually they'll drop into the 'Shows' category and you'll have to hunt for them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:10 am

Hmm, that’s interesting. And it marks which ones you’ve watched? I only played around a little so far, so I’m sure I’ll be able to figure some of this stuff out. Quality for most channels seemed fine, but hgtv was definitely softer than fios.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:17 am

It marks which ones you've watched by embedding a red line underneath the episode thumbnail, similar to Youtube.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:06 pm

Wife doesn't seem to be a big fan of the interface. Little things that keep adding up, like no page up/down function scrolling through channels, no last channel function when switching between two shows, etc. I'm testing the DVR functionality for some shows scheduled to record on Monday, so I'll see how that goes. I'm not really a fan of it capturing everything, personally, but with unlimited space I guess it's not a huge deal.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:15 pm

I also noticed that some channels only showed 720p on YTTV, while FiOS got them in 1080p60.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:21 pm

What are the fast forward and rewind options like for YTTV? Is it similar to FiOS? Also, if you watch something on your DVR without finishing it, can you pick up where you left off?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:10 pm

I don’t have FiOS STBs, so I can only compare against TiVo. FF/Rwd seems like it’s one speed in either direction. If you go back to a show, it does show the red line like YouTube videos showing your progress on that show and you go right where you left off.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm

What are the fast forward and rewind options like for YTTV? Is it similar to FiOS? Also, if you watch something on your DVR without finishing it, can you pick up where you left off?
Yes, it will pick up where you left off. Also, it tends to remember where you were on a streaming live show and pick up back there. Or Comedy Central always has The Office on. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:54 pm

My wife has already started using TiVo instead of YTTV, lol. I'm going to give it a few more days before I decide.,

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:24 pm

Yes, it will pick up where you left off. Also, it tends to remember where you were on a streaming live show and pick up back there. Or Comedy Central always has The Office on. :lol:
It's either that, South Park, or Seinfeld. :lol: