Black Friday and Other Great Deals

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:25 am

So just about all the major Black Friday ads have been leaked including the big Wal-Mart ad today.

www.bfads.net has them all.

My question for those that may know. Is $59 for a Fitbit Flex a good deal? Thinking about two for the wife and I this year.

Should I get a different model?

Walmart has a 55" curved Samsung 4K tv for $998. I paid more than that for my 46" Samsung LCD from 6 years ago. Crazy.

What are you shopping for this holiday season?

I know a few were looking for gaming systems. They are all over these ads.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:42 am

Best Buy has that 7" Amazon Fire Tablet for 39.99 which wouldnt be that bad.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:53 am

Walmart has a 70" Vizio LCD for $898, but it's their E series. Seems like all the good deals for TVs on black friday are for the budget model or models made specifically for Black Friday...

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:05 am

My question for those that may know. Is $59 for a Fitbit Flex a good deal? Thinking about two for the wife and I this year.

it really depends on what you want from the Fitbit. I had the Flex and it was a fine fitness tracker......until all of the newer models came out. I upgraded to the Charge HR, mainly for the heart rate monitoring. it took a few weeks for it to calibrate correctly but it reads my HR fairly accurately now. for instance, last night at hockey practice it read my max HR as 162 and an average of 132. using these readings it has me burning 700 calories in 90 minutes. their iOS app is excellent. my gf has one with an Android app and I have to say, I think their Android app needs some work.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:29 am

sams club has a 65" vizio M series i am considering.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:40 am

it really depends on what you want from the Fitbit. I had the Flex and it was a fine fitness tracker......until all of the newer models came out. I upgraded to the Charge HR, mainly for the heart rate monitoring. it took a few weeks for it to calibrate correctly but it reads my HR fairly accurately now. for instance, last night at hockey practice it read my max HR as 162 and an average of 132. using these readings it has me burning 700 calories in 90 minutes. their iOS app is excellent. my gf has one with an Android app and I have to say, I think their Android app needs some work.
Good input. Thanks.

We are an Apple family so the bit about iOS is particularly helpful.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:56 am

Last year was particularly good for me on BF:

Amazon Fire HD 6 (wifi, 8gb) for $79
$50 in Amazon gift cards, with a $10 Amazon eGift card coming right back to me (had my wife do it, too)
10% off Target gift cards up to $300 (again, both my wife and I did this, since we shop a lot at Target)

In 2012, I built my saltwater fish tank using BF discounts and saved over $1k on everything. I haven't needed to purchase anything big for it lately, but do restock my supplies every November because of the deals.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:18 am

The M series is what I've been doing research on and it looks like a winner, but everything I saw from Sams club said it was the "D" series and I couldn't find anything out about a D series?

this one I'm assuming you saw? A 65-inch Vizio D65u-D2 4K UHD Smart TV for $998

found this at http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-f ... nuals.html

seems like it's their 2016 step down series from the current M series...

D65u-D2 - Video

Screen Size65"
Screen Size (Diag.)65"
ProcessorV6 Six-core processor: Quad-core GPU + Dual-core CPU
Backlight TypeFull-Array LED
Local DimmingYes, Active LED Zones™ x16
ResolutionUltra HD - 3840 x 2160
Effective Refresh Rate120Hz
Clear Action240
Active Pixel TuningYes
Aspect Ratio16:9
Dynamic Contrast Ratio20 million to 1
Viewable Angle (H/V)178°/178°
Number of Colors1.07B
OSD LanguageEnglish, Spanish, French

M65-C1 Video

Screen Size65" Class
Screen Size (Diag.)64.50”
Panel TypeVA
ProcessorV6 Six-core processor: Quad-core GPU + Dual-core CPU
HD to UHD Upscale EngineSpatial Scaling Engine
Backlight TypeFull-Array LED
Local DimmingYes, Active LED Zones™ x32
Resolution3840x2160
Effective Refresh Rate240Hz
Clear Action720
Active Pixel TuningYes
Aspect Ratio16:9
Dynamic Contrast Ratio20 million to 1
Viewable Angle (H/V)178°/178°
Number of Colors10.7B
OSD LanguageEnglish, Spanish, French

and even a dedicated thread to this sale here

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/197-lcd-f ... -sale.html
Last edited by eddy on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:28 am

I would consider a TV (to hook up to my computer for streaming purposes, I don't have cable) and a Windows laptop...any tricks to this BF thing? Anything I should be aware of where I might get swindled into an inferior product...?

I see the mention of "E" series and the like...I see those Wal-Mart prices on 40" LED TVs for $200 and Win10 laptops for $200...am I getting what I'm paying for or is there really, really good deals like that abound...?

#infrequentBFshopper

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:41 am

more on this deal

http://www.product-reviews.net/2015/11/ ... ce-tweaks/
The new Vizio D65U-D2 price will be $998, a saving of $498. There will be a minimum of just 5 of these per Club, and to make life easier, the order number is 652898.
The D Series looks like a super entry level 4k tv. Good price, but specs scare me off compared to the very excellent reviewed M series in same size.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:42 am

I see the mention of "E" series and the like...I see those Wal-Mart prices on 40" LED TVs for $200 and Win10 laptops for $200...am I getting what I'm paying for or is there really, really good deals like that abound...?

#infrequentBFshopper
For televisions you're usually getting what you pay for. Samsung and LG especially, but all the manufacturers to various extents, will ship out "holiday" models specifically for black friday and sell those for the ultra low prices. Usually the normal model numbers are even, like EH7000 or LX5500. The black friday models will be something like EH6001.

They include less features (HDMI ports, internet apps) and have poorer performing panels, so the contrast will be lower and color banding more apparent.

Most of the "normal" televisions will go on sale at Sears and Best Buy on Sunday the 22nd at really good prices.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:47 am

Source of the post any tricks to this BF thing?
If it says 'guaranteed until TIME' you don't have to stand in line with the rest of the weirdos. Just show up during the timeframe and either buy the product or collect your rain check.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:49 am

Source of the post any tricks to this BF thing?
If it says 'guaranteed until TIME' you don't have to stand in line with the rest of the weirdos. Just show up during the timeframe and either buy the product or collect your rain check.
Or do what the smart ones do and buy everything online.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:50 am

Source of the post Most of the "normal" televisions will go on sale at Sears and Best Buy on Sunday the 22nd at really good prices.
good to know, thanks!

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:51 am

Source of the post Or do what the smart ones do and buy everything online.
Well, yeah. I haven't actually been on a BF run since I worked retail. The saddest piece of commercialization hysteria I've ever witnessed was people standing in line at 5:30am at the Latrobe RadioShack for our door busters. Poor souls.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:55 am

#infrequentBFshopper
For televisions you're usually getting what you pay for. Samsung and LG especially, but all the manufacturers to various extents, will ship out "holiday" models specifically for black friday and sell those for the ultra low prices. Usually the normal model numbers are even, like EH7000 or LX5500. The black friday models will be something like EH6001.

They include less features (HDMI ports, internet apps) and have poorer performing panels, so the contrast will be lower and color banding more apparent.

Most of the "normal" televisions will go on sale at Sears and Best Buy on Sunday the 22nd at really good prices.
Great, thanks for this. Very helpful. :thumb:

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:59 am

Did pittsoccer33 come over to FAF? He was always the go to guy for TV stuff.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 am

Amazon will be selling the Fire TV Stick for $25 on BF, and it's well worth it. On top of using it all the time at home, I take ours on vacation with us all the time. It comes in very handy, especially when you sideload Kodi on it.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 am

name changed
Amazon will be selling the Fire TV Stick for $25 on BF, and it's well worth it. On top of using it all the time at home, I take ours on vacation with us all the time. It comes in very handy, especially when you sideload Kodi on it.
How do you make use of Kodi on the stick? What library are you tapping into? I only ask because you're going to be stuck with wifi speeds and the limited codec support.

I bought my sister one last year and put Plex on it. Now she can access my entire library, and my server will convert to something it can read on the fly.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 am

hopefully Amazon's black friday deals are as stellar as their Prime Day deals were

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:13 am

name changed
How do you make use of Kodi on the stick? What library are you tapping into? I only ask because you're going to be stuck with wifi speeds and the limited codec support.

I bought my sister one last year and put Plex on it. Now she can access my entire library, and my server will convert to something it can read on the fly.
I use Pulsar 95% of the time now, switching over from Genesis. I'm using the Pulsar Unofficial Repository 2.0.0 (might have been upgraded recently) with the Pulsar MC providers. This would be for anything that I don't have access to on my Prime account, or movies in general. There have been very few movies I have been unable to play, to be honest.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:13 am

Does thing only make sense if you have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu...? I see these things talked about all the time, but I don't get their use to me...

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:14 am

hopefully Amazon's black friday deals are as stellar as their Prime Day deals were
Oh, man. I forgot about prime day. Need some discontinued duct tape at 5% off retail? They had you covered. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:17 am

Does thing only make sense if you have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu...? I see these things talked about all the time, but I don't get their use to me...
It absolutely does, IMO, because you can access those apps from the Fire TV. While the rest of my family did have Netflix accounts, they dumped it for Prime once I had them all buy Fire TVs. You may want to keep it around if you watch a lot of Netflix's original programming, though.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:20 am

Oh, man. I forgot about prime day. Need some discontinued duct tape at 5% off retail? They had you covered. :lol:
I actually made out quite well on Prime Day (23" LED monitor for my parents' computer, a bunch of DSLR stuff for myself, and more discounted Amazon gift cards). I think the big problem with it was that everyone was expecting some crazy sale where you'd get 80% off everything. They had a lot of really good deals, IMO.