Black Friday and Other Great Deals

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:20 am

I am not. We've never put cars in a garage. And I have a shed in the back with the lawn mower and other gardening equipment. I would like to utilize it as a workspace for whatever needs worked on. I suppose we could clear it out and use it for car storage in the winter, but we've never done that in the past so we don't really know what we're missing in that respect. Plus, it's only a one car garage. There are two of us. We can't be spoiling just the one of us. ;)

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am

I got my garage mostly cleaned up a few weeks ago, and now need to set up my echo studio. Then it's just a matter of using the garage. What to do, what to do.... set up a home gym? build something? brew some beer? The options are limitless.
You aren't going to park your cars in there? I feel like this very thing was discussed recently. It's mystifies me that people don't use their garages for cars first and everything else second. I mean I store my lawn equipment in mine and other random stuff, but it's always used for my car first. You live near state college too right, so especially in the winter I can't imagine not putting my car in there.
Last edited by skullman80 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:26 am

The reason I asked is because I was going to recommend the Rubbermaid FastTrack system for storing your stuff. I don't have a big shed out back, so that has saved me. Kinda wish I did have a big, walk in shed, though...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 am

I am not. We've never put cars in a garage. And I have a shed in the back with the lawn mower and other gardening equipment. I would like to utilize it as a workspace for whatever needs worked on. I suppose we could clear it out and use it for car storage in the winter, but we've never done that in the past so we don't really know what we're missing in that respect. Plus, it's only a one car garage. There are two of us. We can't be spoiling just the one of us. ;)
Do your cars have remote start? That's absolutely vital in winter months if no garage, imo.

I have my Jeep stored in my garage, and my truck outside, but with remote start, it kind of negates the need for a garage.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 am

The reason I asked is because I was going to recommend the Rubbermaid FastTrack system for storing your stuff. I don't have a big shed out back, so that has saved me. Kinda wish I did have a big, walk in shed, though...
I need to look into this just to get all the boxes and stuff off the ground and things organized.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:32 am

No remote start, no cars in the garage. I'm a barbarian, I know.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:37 am

I need to look into this just to get all the boxes and stuff off the ground and things organized.
The FastTrack system is great. All of our garden tools, ladders, etc are hanging on the walls. Definitely plan on adding to it in the future. Also, we don’t yet have the need, but our neighbors have this overhead storage rack from Costco and it’s awesome.

https://www.costco.com/saferacks-overhe ... 33736.html

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:40 am

I have probably a dozen of them throughout my entire garage, and love the system. This is an older photo, but I also have our bikes hanging from bike hooks on the system now, too.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:40 am

lol I took it as a rite of passage, when we bought our second house that we would use the garages cars first because neither of ours had remote start.

Then remote start kind of weakened everything. In this age - it won't matter as much because it's not like I leave the house anymore anyways for the most part, but that stinks, no remote, no garage use.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:41 am

The FastTrack system is great. All of our garden tools, ladders, etc are hanging on the walls. Definitely plan on adding to it in the future. Also, we don’t yet have the need, but our neighbors have this overhead storage rack from Costco and it’s awesome.

That kind of system has been on my list for a while. I'm still trying to figure out how to justify it since I can't think of anything else to put there...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:41 am

Ohh that looks like what I need for my boxes and such.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:45 am

I have probably a dozen of them throughout my entire garage, and love the system. This is an older photo, but I also have our bikes hanging from bike hooks on the system now, too.

Paint the garage floor but not the walls? C’mon son. Or are you just a fan of drywall tape?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:48 am

Do those things work on Concrete walls to??... the back wall of the garage, and the far side wall are exposed concrete, only the one wall nearest the door is drywall.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am

Paint the garage floor but not the walls? C’mon son. Or are you just a fan of drywall tape?
lol, that's an epoxy floor, and yeah, I haven't gotten around to painting it yet. I was thinking about doing it in the spring, actually.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am

lol I took it as a rite of passage, when we bought our second house that we would use the garages cars first because neither of ours had remote start.

Then remote start kind of weakened everything. In this age - it won't matter as much because it's not like I leave the house anymore anyways for the most part, but that stinks, no remote, no garage use.
Even if you have remote start, just keeping your car out of the elements and not having to brush off all the snow and such would be a benefit I would think.

I dunno. I never had a garage at all until this house. My wife's old house that she bought before I came along had a one car garage and she obviously always got that. This will be my first winter that I've had a garage and I want it to snow for once ha.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:52 am

Do those things work on Concrete walls to??... the back wall of the garage, and the far side wall are exposed concrete, only the one wall nearest the door is drywall.
You can use concrete screws to mount them, yes, but you may want to do a dry run with a single screw first. My parents concrete garage is damn near impossible to drill into, even with a powerful electric drill.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 am

You can use concrete screws to mount them, yes, but you may want to do a dry run with a single screw first. My parents concrete garage is damn near impossible to drill into, even with a powerful electric drill.
Fair point. We recently ran electric outside to some new outlets and the drill my wife's cousin used was heavy duty but it got through the wall with some effort so hopefully it's doable.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 am

Even if you have remote start, just keeping your car out of the elements and not having to brush off all the snow and such would be a benefit I would think.

I dunno. I never had a garage at all until this house. My wife's old house that she bought before I came along had a one car garage and she obviously always got that. This will be my first winter that I've had a garage and I want it to snow for once ha.
One of the only benefits of global warming.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 am

lol, that's an epoxy floor, and yeah, I haven't gotten around to painting it yet. I was thinking about doing it in the spring, actually.
How much did that Epoxy floor set you back? Also do you ever worry about your cars leaking anything on it damaging it, or bringing in rain/snow from outside?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:56 am

How much did that Epoxy floor set you back? Also do you ever worry about your cars leaking anything on it damaging it, or bringing in rain/snow from outside?
I have Epoxy floor questions as well, so answer up. I know someone who Nature Stoned his two car garage and it set him back like 4 grand. **** that.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:03 am

I used Floorguard, and pair $2540 for the entire garage (405' ft), including the footers surrounding the entire garage. I had it done last winter, when they offer discounts, so I saved $400 on the timing. One of the main reasons that I had it done was because of snow and rain. There had been some minor cracking in the old garage floor, and now I never have to worry about water with the epoxy. Ever. Rain and snow slide right off it with the help of a squeegee.

As far as contaminants go, you have to watch out for stuff like battery acid, which can etch and ruin the coating. I also know that transfer case oil can stain it, as it has happened under my wife's truck thanks to the lazy **** at Honda. For anything else, it cleans up so damn easily. Came with a 20 year warranty, too.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:06 am

I used Floorguard, and pair $2540 for the entire garage (405' ft), including the footers surrounding the entire garage. I had it done last winter, when they offer discounts, so I saved $400 on the timing. One of the main reasons that I had it done was because of snow and rain. There had been some minor cracking in the old garage floor, and now I never have to worry about water with the epoxy. Ever. Rain and snow slide right off it with the help of a squeegee.

As far as contaminants go, you have to watch out for stuff like battery acid, which can etch and ruin the coating. I also know that transfer case oil can stain it, as it has happened under my wife's truck thanks to the lazy **** at Honda. For anything else, it cleans up so damn easily. Came with a 20 year warranty, too.
Yeah I'd like to protect our floor as well as it has some minor cracking. I honestly don't know how big our garage floor is sq footage wise, but it's probably similar to yours. $2500 isn't outrageous.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 am

They came in and grinded the entire garage, then laid down the epoxy. Some tips if you go this route:

1. Remove everything from the garage possible - otherwise it will get covered in dust. I regret not tarping my cabinets
2. The smell is just awful initially. Keep your garage ventilated for as long as possible by opening the garage door

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:09 am

For reference, here's the before shot:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:12 am

I was planning on building some shelves myself in the garage this winter. But with the price of lumber seeming to rise daily, I may have to look into alternative storage systems. Cost me close to $150 just to build a 4x2x6 shelf in my shed. $50 just for the freaking plywood