Black Friday and Other Great Deals

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:22 pm

One Christmas I got ALL of the Pee-Wee's Playhouse toys. Pee-Wee (obviously), Reba, Chairy, Miss Yvonne, Ricardo, Conky, Jambi, Terry.. literally all of them. The kicker (and the last thing I opened) was the Playhouse itself. I was **** pumped.

Years later I learned that the Pee-Wee toys and specifically the Playhouse play-set were extremely hard to find. My mom called every person she knew and had them on the look out for them. Obviously this is pre-eBay. My Playhouse came from Kansas from a cousin, a couple figures were found in Columbus. Friends and family were apparently searching everywhere for these and mailing them to my mom when they found something new. I loved those toys when I got them as a kid, but I truly appreciated the gifts when I learned how much love went into getting them for me.
Had you not received the playhouse, and maybe a few of the other figures, would you have melted down? I think C2I and myself are talking about how a child would meltdown to the point of their Christmas being ruined if you DONT BUY THAT GIFT AT ALL COSTS.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Also, with your play-set story... you were spoiled. Sorry. BUT, and this is a huge but... there's a difference between being spoiled and being a spoiled brat.
I think this is an important distinction. Being spoiled doesn't mean you're necessarily a brat or a bad kid. I'm sure there are a lot of kids who were given everything they could've wanted and were still pleasant and grew up well. And I'm sure there are kids who weren't spoiled who still ended up being brats.

I think this is where parenting is paramount

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Is the child melting down because he/she thinks Santa didn't bring it, or because the parents didn't get it?

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Also, with your play-set story... you were spoiled. Sorry. BUT, and this is a huge but... there's a difference between being spoiled and being a spoiled brat.
I think this is an important distinction. Being spoiled doesn't mean you're necessarily a brat or a bad kid. I'm sure there are a lot of kids who were given everything they could've wanted and were still pleasant and grew up well. And I'm sure there are kids who weren't spoiled who still ended up being brats.

I think this is where parenting is paramount
I think that you've surpassed @NAN on the adult scale. :fist:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Is the child melting down because he/she thinks Santa didn't bring it, or because the parents didn't get it?
Does it matter? I mean the main way I found out that Santa wasn't real was there was this brat/a-hole/dodint of a kid in my class that would tell us all about all the awesome stuff he'd get for Christmas, and I started thinking... why would Santa bring him all this stuff and not me or anyone else in the class who were really nice and polite all year? It just didn't make sense. But it didn't cause me to melt down in any way because I was raised in a manner that made me realize life isn't about presents and things.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:14 pm

I made my kid cry last year because Santa wrote him a note and said he was on the naughty list and things were not looking good. Miraculously, his attitude immediately changed and was a pleasure to be around all holiday season. I will do whatever I can for my kids, but that doesn't involve paying $100 for something that is normally $25 (those people that buy them and sell them are a different rant all together) and my kids fully understand that. When we were at Disney recently over Halloween, we had to explain how tough it was going to be to do the trick or treat thing because it's like an extra $100 per person on top of everything else. They were like, why would someone spend $100 to go trick or treating, that's dumb. They all got extra hugs.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Also, my kids write a list to Santa and he brings them 1 present each. Family gets the other. My mom and dad never told me Santa was not real and I still get a gift from him every year.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:43 pm

I'm 28 and my gift tags still come from Santa.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:52 pm

I still give my mom, stepdad, sister, and now my sister's dog all items tagged from Santa.

Christmas spirit, n'at.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Domino's has 50% off pizza. I was able to order lunch for 30 people for 80 bucks

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Yeah, but you had to eat Domino's, soooo...yeah.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:50 pm

1) i didnt have to eat it
2) dont complain about a free lunch

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm

Still better than Pizza Hut.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 pm

False.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:55 pm

No, YOU'RE false.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:04 pm

False.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:15 pm

And Little Caesar's, which is the go-to place for cheap feeding of large groups of people in these parts, because of the $5.00 large cheese or pepperoni pizzas. Do they do that everywhere? Is it a SC thing?

It's garbage. Tombstone tastes better than those pizzas.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Honestly, given the choice between free Dominos and paying for my lunch, I'd take the latter.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:16 pm

And Little Caesar's, which is the go-to place for cheap feeding of large groups of people in these parts, because of the $5.00 large cheese or pepperoni pizzas. Do they do that everywhere? Is it a SC thing?

They do it here, too. And I have to admit, Little Caesar's is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:18 pm

$5 lunch combo is tits.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Love Little Sleazers when I was in high school. Found it years later when I was working in Fayettenam and was not a fan.

Thinking it was a one-off, I tried it again when I found out we had one in Carnegie. The breadsticks were good, but as DigitalGypsy66 mentioned, the pizza is below Tombstone quality. Even for $5, I'll pass.

I'll save the favorite local pizza joint for another thread, but as far as chain pizzas go:

Papa John's (getting the nod because of the garlic sauce and breadsticks)
Domino's
Pizza Hut (too greasy)
no pizza at all
going to Walmart, grabbing a frozen Totino's and eating it right from the package.
Little Caesar's

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Love Little Sleazers when I was in high school. Found it years later when I was working in Fayettenam and was not a fan.

Thinking it was a one-off, I tried it again when I found out we had one in Carnegie. The breadsticks were good, but as DigitalGypsy66 mentioned, the pizza is below Tombstone quality. Even for $5, I'll pass.

I'll save the favorite local pizza joint for another thread, but as far as chain pizzas go:

Papa John's (getting the nod because of the garlic sauce and breadsticks)
Domino's
Pizza Hut (too greasy)
no pizza at all
going to Walmart, grabbing a frozen Totino's and eating it right from the package.
Little Caesar's
Could just be a case of 'location by location'. The one near me is pretty good, but the one near my parents is so-so at best. My list would look like yours if you just bumped Little Caesar's to the top of the list.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:11 pm

As far as chains go, I enjoy Vocelli's.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:13 pm

do you guys really hate the chains that much?

I definitely prefer two of our local spots and 90% of our pizza comes from those two, but I like Hut/Dominos/Papa Johns/Caesers well enough.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Little Caesar's is clearly not food. The others you can characterize as food...that's the only distinction I make...