Jerry Sandusky Scandal

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 07, 2016 1:44 pm

There aren't a bunch of websites devoted to proving Paterno's guilt though.
Does it shock you that there are more in number and more passionate people defending him/trying to clear his name than there are for going after the dude, especially considering he's dead? I mean, there was one poll that 45% of the American adults polled thought Joe Paterno was active in molesting kids at Penn State... not covering it up, actively molesting/raping them.

Viva la Ben

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Viva la Ben » Sat May 07, 2016 2:15 pm

No, just that on this issue only one side can be construed as "wacko"-the side who claims Paterno is completely innocent.

Kaiser

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Kaiser » Sat May 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Being long tenured doesnt mean your coaches are allowed to f*** the kids

dodint

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby dodint » Sat May 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Well, not in every case...

relantel

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby relantel » Sun May 08, 2016 1:02 pm

PSU President Eric Barron speaks out, no basis in settlements for any Paterno or assistance coaches allegation...
http://news.psu.edu/story/409338/2016/0 ... ing-recent

"First, the allegations related to Penn State are simply not established fact. The two allegations related to knowledge by Coach Paterno are unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim. They date from the 1970s. Coach Paterno is not alive to refute them. His family has denied them.

"Second, we cannot find any evidence, related to a settlement or otherwise, that an alleged early assault was communicated to Coach Paterno. This raises considerable credibility issues as to this press report. Others cite assistant coaches that were witnesses or had knowledge – stating it as fact in headlines and text – even in the face of a denial and clear failure to corroborate from the individuals allegedly involved. Other stories are clearly incredulous, and should be difficult for any reasonable person to believe. We should not be rendering judgments about the actions of Coach Paterno or any other former employees of Penn State based on incomplete, sensationalized media accounts."

(complete letter behind the spoiler)
Dear Friends:

Over the past few days, allegations have surfaced from individuals who claim to be Sandusky victims and from unidentified individuals about the alleged knowledge of former University employees. None of these allegations about the supposed knowledge of University employees has been substantiated in a court of law or in any other process to test their veracity.

I want you to know I am appalled by the rumor, innuendo and rush to judgment that have accompanied the media stories surrounding these allegations. All too often in our society, people are convicted in the court of public opinion, only to find a different outcome when all the facts are presented.

In contrast, over the last two days we have worked to be diligent in reanalyzing the record of reports and depositions to ensure that our reactions and comments are both responsible and trustworthy.

First, the allegations related to Penn State are simply not established fact. The two allegations related to knowledge by Coach Paterno are unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim. They date from the 1970s. Coach Paterno is not alive to refute them. His family has denied them.

Second, we cannot find any evidence, related to a settlement or otherwise, that an alleged early assault was communicated to Coach Paterno. This raises considerable credibility issues as to this press report. Others cite assistant coaches that were witnesses or had knowledge – stating it as fact in headlines and text – even in the face of a denial and clear failure to corroborate from the individuals allegedly involved. Other stories are clearly incredulous, and should be difficult for any reasonable person to believe. We should not be rendering judgments about the actions of Coach Paterno or any other former employees of Penn State based on incomplete, sensationalized media accounts.

I can think of few crimes as heinous as the sexual assault of a child. We are, as individuals and as an institution, appalled by Sandusky’s actions, and unified in our commitment to prevention, treatment and education. I encourage you to visit this link for information on Penn State’s commitment.

Unfortunately, we can’t control the 24/7 news cycle, and the tendency of some individuals in social media and the blogosphere to rush to judgment. But I have had enough of the continued trial of the institution in various media. We have all had enough. And while Penn State cannot always comment on allegations that emanate from legal proceedings, I thought it was important to let you know my reaction to the media frenzy that has ensued over the past few days. I am appalled.

Sincerely,

Eric Barron
President

Troy Loney

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 08, 2016 1:10 pm

I love that "no reasonable person" would think the accusations are credible.

Viva la Ben

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Viva la Ben » Sun May 08, 2016 3:13 pm

"First, the allegations related to Penn State are simply not established fact. The two allegations related to knowledge by Coach Paterno are unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim. They date from the 1970s. Coach Paterno is not alive to refute them. His family has denied them.
So don't believe the alleged victim, and believe Paterno's family.

shmenguin

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 08, 2016 4:33 pm

Just stopping by to say the paterno defense squad is still grotesque. Despite what the mods prefer, it's important to continue to point this out.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun May 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Just stopping by to point out that I don't care what you think of me.

dodint

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby dodint » Sun May 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Obviously, to both.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun May 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Morkle

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Morkle » Sun May 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Just stopping by to say the paterno defense squad is still grotesque. Despite what the mods prefer, it's important to continue to point this out.
:thumb:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Kaiser

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Kaiser » Sun May 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Dissolve the program

slappybrown

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby slappybrown » Sun May 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Yikes
Barron said those allegations, and others raised in some news reports in recent days, are “unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim.”

Staggy

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Staggy » Sun May 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Yikes
Barron said those allegations, and others raised in some news reports in recent days, are “unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim.”
I generally stay away from this topic as I'm not nearly educated enough on it, but is that quote just a complete butchering of the below excerpt from Barron's letter?

"First, the allegations related to Penn State are simply not established fact. The two allegations related to knowledge by Coach Paterno are unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim."

He's clearly referring to Paterno's knowledge of the allegations as being unsubstantiated and unsupported, not the allegations of sexual assault. Barron is by all accounts an extremely intelligent and capable President, he's not going to stick his foot in his mouth in a written statement he's had multiple days to prepare.

slappybrown

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby slappybrown » Sun May 08, 2016 11:20 pm

I would agree that if that is lifted from the letter, the subject being Paternos knowledge in 71 or 76 versus whether child abuse did occur, makes for that rephrasing wholly unfair to Barron.

Morkle

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Morkle » Mon May 09, 2016 8:15 am

http://deadspin.com/nbc-as-many-as-six- ... 1775241126
As many as six Joe Paterno assistants personally witnessed Jerry Sandusky abusing children, NBC News revealed today. That report comes on the heels of testimony given in Penn State’s lawsuit against its insurer revealed this week, alleging Paterno knew of Sandusky molesting children as early as 1976.

relantel

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby relantel » Mon May 09, 2016 9:35 am

@morkle - Barron's letter refuted that claim as well. NBC, or deadspin channeling NBC, gets it wrong even without Barron's letter, as the claims coaches witnessed was not from coaches themselves but from alleged victims claiming coaches witnessed.
Others cite assistant coaches that were witnesses or had knowledge – stating it as fact in headlines and text – even in the face of a denial and clear failure to corroborate from the individuals allegedly involved.

Troy Loney

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 09, 2016 9:42 am

Should also be noted that coaches are not going to come out now and say that they witnessed children being raped and did nothing.

We can't just pick and choose which statements we want to believe at this point. I do think that it's very telling that PSU people would choose to belittle the statements made by Sandusky victims when those statements don't align with the PSU alumni authored narrative. I'm getting the notion that sentiment is that victims that come forward are all making cash grabs.

Morkle

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby Morkle » Mon May 09, 2016 9:43 am

Just posting a link. I'm fine with absolving almighty JoePa for 1976, but years later, he got caught enabling a pedophile anyways.

relantel

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby relantel » Mon May 09, 2016 9:48 am

Just posting a link. I'm fine with absolving almighty JoePa for 1976, but years later, he got caught enabling a pedophile anyways.
By caught, you mean cleared by OAG, followed proper procedure, for a guy who was no longer an employee....

relantel

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby relantel » Mon May 09, 2016 9:49 am

Also, is worth noting that the full Board of Trustees was behind Barron's letter. They haven't been unified about much of anything these last several years. But they were for this.

willeyeam

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 am

as the claims coaches witnessed was not from coaches themselves but from alleged victims claiming coaches witnessed.
I don't get this point. We should dismiss these because they're only from alleged victims? I can't say any coaches seem too trustworthy at the moment

relantel

Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Postby relantel » Mon May 09, 2016 9:57 am

as the claims coaches witnessed was not from coaches themselves but from alleged victims claiming coaches witnessed.
I don't get this point. We should dismiss these because they're only from alleged victims? I can't say any coaches seem too trustworthy at the moment
The point is the story states as fact that coaches witnessed. Which is not true. I'm all for investigating whatever allegations have been made, just don't state the allegations as fact without substantiation.