Game of Thrones Discussion

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 am

I had read through the leaks on reddit for season 8. I am glad to know that they aren't accurate. They were for season 7, I wonder if they rewrote the season? The biggest divergence from the leaked script was they had Theon dying, or getting captured saving Yara, I forget which.

Aside from the stream of reunions, I thought the episode was good. It's still definitely setting up for a lord of the rings type battle in episode three with the WW attacking winterfell, which has basically been predicted by every GOT fan.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 am

I get that Arya was defending her family, but what was with saying Sansa is the smartest person she has ever met? I have not got that at all from Sansa and didn't they have a big falling out just last season?

I cannot stand when mother of dragons pulls the but I'm the Queen line.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 am

also what are the chances that the leader of the golf company is Jaqen?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:15 am

also what are the chances that the leader of the golf company is Jaqen?
oh man that would be awesome

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:20 am

I get that Arya was defending her family, but what was with saying Sansa is the smartest person she has ever met? I have not got that at all from Sansa and didn't they have a big falling out just last season?

I cannot stand when mother of dragons pulls the but I'm the Queen line.
I imagine it was because Sansa was the first to really outmanuever littlefinger.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 am

speaking of the night king the schematic arya gave gendry sets her up to take down the night king?
or maybe it is going to be larger in scale and take down the ice dragon. I'm thinking Jaime takes down the Night King.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:25 am

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 am

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 am

No Red Woman either
thank god
She was headed to Volantis per a season 7 conversation with Varys.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 am

speaking of the night king the schematic arya gave gendry sets her up to take down the night king?
or maybe it is going to be larger in scale and take down the ice dragon. I'm thinking Jaime takes down the Night King.
Surely Bronn is not going to become a baddie in Season 7, no? I am guessing he has second thoughts after he miraculously makes it to Winterfell in three days and becomes another noble dude.

I didn't like the Cersei stuff last night. She's become a caricature.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 am

Aside from the stream of reunions, I thought the episode was good.
why though? the reunions were satisfying and the plot has its own inertia at this point. but what was "good" about how the episode was executed?

it was a bunch of political exposition that whitewashes over the dire situation outlined in the last 2 episodes of S07. ok...well, we're gonna all die in a few days. let's talk about how to feed armies, and whether or not the 50 soldiers from around the north are gonna stick around, even though we don't even need them anymore. and also, make sure that every piece of dialogue is a funny little quip, and that emilia clarke is now playing the character emilia clarke, and that arya makes a smug, self-satisfying face in every scene. there's no character depth left, and motives and insights are drawn out of a hat.

this is now a marvel movie that used to be a thoughtful tv show. i guess it'll be fun enough to see how the dominos fall, but i wouldn't have watched this show if THIS is how it was made from the beginning.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am

Aside from the stream of reunions, I thought the episode was good.
why though? the reunions were satisfying and the plot has its own inertia at this point. but what was "good" about how the episode was executed?

it was a bunch of political exposition that whitewashes over the dire situation outlined in the last 2 episodes of S07. ok...well, we're gonna all die in a few days. let's talk about how to feed armies, and whether or not the 50 soldiers from around the north are gonna stick around, even though we don't even need them anymore. and also, make sure that every piece of dialogue is a funny little quip, and that emilia clarke is now playing the character emilia clarke, and that arya makes a smug, self-satisfying face in every scene. there's no character depth left, and motives and insights are drawn out of a hat.

this is now a marvel movie that used to be a thoughtful tv show. i guess it'll be fun enough to see how the dominos fall, but i wouldn't have watched this show if THIS is how it was made from the beginning.
The reunion stuff makes the show seem like fanfic at this juncture.

In terms of "good", basically any divergence from the zombie story makes the show more enjoyable for me. I wish they would just have someone kill the night king to destroy all the zombies, and then just get back to fighting with cersei.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 am

The reunion stuff makes the show seem like fanfic at this juncture.
they save the reunions for the 11th hour, and revelations and confessions that should take entire, drawn out scenes are condensed into 1 or 2 lines of dialogue. so arya isn't going to tell jon that she was at assassin sleepaway camp? sansa and tyrion are just going to exchange clever quips, even though they had seemingly a deep connection in the past that neither of them has really violated in the time since? jon and bran aren't going to talk about like...anything whatsoever? lots of crazy **** happening. lots of crazy **** has happened. no time for all that. we gotta make a poorly done CGI dragon race instead.

these dudes are doing us a favor by cutting this to 14 episodes over the last 2 seasons, i think

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 am

I thought it was a good episode. I enjoy the reunions, though I do think they could feel a bit more meaningful than just getting everyone back together. Having 10 episodes instead of 6 would be a benefit.

- I hope they didn't blow the direwolf budget on the new opening credits.
- Thought the flying dragons leading to an overhead view of Winterfell was pretty awesome. Gave an idea for how the place is laid out, which I never really had before.
- Expected a Lyanna and Jorah confrontation.
- Is Winterfell not ADA compliant? Bran seems neglected.
- I liked the dragon riding scene, but it was a bit corny. Is Drogon a creeper or did Bran warg into him?
- I expected Sam to be Captain Cockblock, but I didn't think it would be framed as "she killed my dad and brother, you wouldn't, you're a better ruler." With that, and the preview for Episode 2, I could see the Night King saga ending quicker than expected and the rest of the season being a 3-way battle for the Iron Throne.
- Wasn't expecting the Umber Boy to end up looking like an appetizer.

https://twitter.com/NaturallyKatz/statu ... 3207238657

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:08 am

Martin Starr (Gilfoyle from Silicon Valley) was also one of the arrowed dudes on Euron's ship.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am

Gilfoyle rules

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:17 am

- I expected Sam to be Captain Cockblock, but I didn't think it would be framed as "she killed my dad and brother, you wouldn't, you're a better ruler."
heeyyyy sam, buddy. your family was trying to kill the good guys, k? even Dick-on. let's pipe down with the melodrama.
With that, and the preview for Episode 2, I could see the Night King saga ending quicker than expected and the rest of the season being a 3-way battle for the Iron Throne.
Is next week the battle, or is it prelude to the battle? episode 2 is another < 1hr and episode 3 is > 1 hr.
it's not exactly as if the night king is a developed character or anything, but what was seriously the point of this? "lol those random 12 guys who aren't even on our radar are gonna be SO SCARED!!!!".

i think i hate this show

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:19 am

i learned this was a thing this morning

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

- I expected Sam to be Captain Cockblock, but I didn't think it would be framed as "she killed my dad and brother, you wouldn't, you're a better ruler."
heeyyyy sam, buddy. your family was trying to kill the good guys, k? even Dick-on. let's pipe down with the melodrama.
With that, and the preview for Episode 2, I could see the Night King saga ending quicker than expected and the rest of the season being a 3-way battle for the Iron Throne.
Is next week the battle, or is it prelude to the battle? episode 2 is another < 1hr and episode 3 is > 1 hr.
it's not exactly as if the night king is a developed character or anything, but what was seriously the point of this? "lol those random 12 guys who aren't even on our radar are gonna be SO SCARED!!!!".

i think i hate this show
- He's an emotional dodint.
- Next week is the prelude. Episode 3 is the battle.
- Random 12 guys? Tormund, Edd, and Dondarrion are all pretty well liked characters. I would have liked to see how they survived the wall coming down. Beyond that, the White Walkers have been making weird ass symbols since day one.

S1E1 Prelude:

S3E3:

S6E5:
The more useful explanation for where these designs come from stems back to the ancient Children of the Forest. When Bran journeys through time with the Three-Eyed Raven in Season 6 -- just before Hodor meets his unfortunate end -- there's an overhead shot of the Weirwood tree where the Children created the first White Walker. It's surrounded by stones arranged in that familiar spiral pattern. We later see that same image, covered in snow. There's undeniable significance to the fact that the White Walkers keep returning to this image of the spot where they were born when Children decided to stab a man in the heart in a misguided effort to stop their own slaughter.
And yes, you do hate the show.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am

I understand the symbol. It’s just a silly exercise to plant a jump scare with a handful of randy’s there to stumble upon it...who didn’t even seem to give a ****. The ceremonial part makes sense. The cheap horror movie device didn’t. Picture how that would even be written in the books.

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am

Everyone on this show is deeply flawed and unlikable

I think that's the point

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:38 am

Disagree, Tormund rules.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am

Pretty sure that symbol was also all over the caves at Dragonstone.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:49 am

Everyone on this show is deeply flawed and unlikable

I think that's the point
That’s not what this story is. Fundamentally, it’s about heroes. There haven’t really been shades of grey with the Starks. They’ve made bad choices, but have been well intentioned. Same with basically every good guy except Daenerys. Pretty straightforward. They’re just bungling the characters up now because they need filler to surround the 2-3 big episodes this year.