Game of Thrones Discussion

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:37 pm

man I never would’ve guessed this but Rhys Ifans, who plays Otto Hightower, was Nigel Gruff in The Replacements.

I gotta say the acting overall has been very very good. I made the Better Call Saul comparison before and it’s pretty apt…HOD is a much more intentionally paced show than GOT was. Like the time they spent on the sex scene last episode seemed to be much more time than they spent on any sex scene in GOT. And I gotta say I thought it was very well done

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 am

I agree with the acting. The two younger versions of Alicent and Rhaenyra are excellent. The director mentioned in the behind the scenes that she shot the sex scenes from a woman's perspective, which was difficult after being conditioned by all of the male directors she watched over the years. I hadn't thought of it like that before.

Young Alicent was interviewed about her sex scenes with Viserys and how she used an intimacy coach. She mentioned she was 17 when cast and just 18 when they shot those scenes. I know it's acting and all, but that's kind of creepy.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:09 am

Excellent episode. The use of an intimacy coordinator was obvious. Those scenes felt like people having sex and not just some dude rushing through getting a nut out.

I'm surprised to see people who haven't realized Rhys Ifans is Otto (MIMH isn't the first), but regardless he's been excellent. I hated the first screenshot of Matt Smith in his stupid blonde wig, but he's been a powerhouse. Young Rhaenyra has been better than young Lady Alicent and I'm honestly going to be sad to see her go in a couple episodes (though I do look forward to Olivia Cooke). In general, I think they've done an excellent job fleshing out characters and providing nuance despite the source material basically being a text book.

- I hope the kid that was getting bullied and then guts the dude comes back in the next time jump and is a BFD.

- Maybe Viserys should renovate the throne since it's basically killing him.

- Actress rumored to be playing Daemon's wife that he hates so much:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:13 am

Source of the post Those scenes felt like people having sex and not just some dude rushing through getting a nut out.
That's also because they weren't gratuitous. Both sex scenes existed to further the story and show the juxtaposition of Alicent and Rhaenyra's characters. You have one character absolutely hating life, forced into what is believed to be her "duty" while the other is free, completely in charge of the situation, and enjoying it. It was really well done.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:23 am

Agreed

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:35 pm

man I never would’ve guessed this but Rhys Ifans, who plays Otto Hightower, was Nigel Gruff in The Replacements.
One man's "The Leg" is another man's "the friend in Notting Hill."

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:14 pm

Can one of you nerds explain to me why Daenerys was the unburnt but all other Targaryens that we've met so far can be burnt? I used to think that the reason Targaryens could ride dragons was because of the whole unburnt thing but if Jon and Daemon can be burnt that theory goes to ****.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:00 pm

I had the same assumption but about dragon fire specifically. Though I realize now that Dany survived two non-dragon fire episodes

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:42 pm

Completely misc.

Hot Fuzz has to now easily hold the record for most Thrones-verse actors in a single movie with 4 (Paddy Considine, Rory McCann, David Bradley, Kevin Eldon).

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:09 pm

‘House of the Dragon’ Viewership Up 5% With Episode 4
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/house- ... 235371398/

:pop:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:41 pm

Completely misc.

Hot Fuzz has to now easily hold the record for most Thrones-verse actors in a single movie with 4 (Paddy Considine, Rory McCann, David Bradley, Kevin Eldon).
I don't remember if it was Deathly Hallows 1 or 2 or both, but David Bradley, Michelle Fairley, Ciaran Hinds, Jim Broadbent, Natalia Tena, the original Dickon, some Greyjoy, and Rhys Ifans.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:36 pm

Can one of you nerds explain to me why Daenerys was the unburnt but all other Targaryens that we've met so far can be burnt? I used to think that the reason Targaryens could ride dragons was because of the whole unburnt thing but if Jon and Daemon can be burnt that theory goes to ****.

It's not really covered (at least yet) in the books, and the show clearly wanted to steer away from the more "magical" aspects of the story. In the slim change GRRM ever finishes the series, it might get explained.

My general assumption was that Daenerys didn't get burned because she was a "worthy" Targaryen, as opposed to her brother. That's sort of along the lines as the thing where the Iron Throne supposedly cuts people who aren't worthy to be king.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:35 am

Completely misc.

I don't remember if it was Deathly Hallows 1 or 2 or both, but David Bradley, Michelle Fairley, Ciaran Hinds, Jim Broadbent, Natalia Tena, the original Dickon, some Greyjoy, and Rhys Ifans.
That tracks. :thumb: Game of wands.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:38 am

I very randomly watched 5 minutes of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and I saw Matt Smith (Daemon), Lena Headey and Charles Dance (Tywin)

it was weird but also comforting

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:19 pm

Matt Daemon?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:58 pm

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:37 pm

It’s like Matt Damon from Wish.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:55 pm

That was great. I’m not ready to say goodbye to Milly Alcock.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:15 pm

Best episode yet.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:56 pm

finally saw it. that was stupendous. Acting was 14/10.

it’s weird. I know tiny little tidbits about where the story goes (like who dies and how in particular) but it’s just enough to tantalize me to really see how the story goes

Daemon is a wonderful wild card in all this. He felt like the special guest referee from a Attitude Era match

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:58 pm

My brother and I were talking about HOTD vs Rings of Power and I told him how how I have no interest in ROP. While I absolutely adore the LOTR movies, it’s easy to see how sort of shallow most if not all of the characters are in that universe. It doesn’t feel like a humanistic show because it’s just a standard “good vs evil, all characters have straightforward arcs, etc” story

GOT was at its best when it show the many angles of the characters. Jamie being a pompous ******, turning into a babyface with Brienne and then ultimately breaking her heart by not denying his love with Cersei. It’s why I never really cared for the Night King subplot because it was a Sauronic “voiceless and pure evil” villain without any motive other than evil for evil’s sake.

Alicent is my favorite character in HOTD because you can see the dimensions to the character. The main conflict is starting to form and you can see how conflicted Alicent is. This sort of…can you really trust a Targ to not kill your kids? So she’s gonna do what she needs to do to protect them and it’s gonna get fun

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:11 pm

Good but definitely a transition episode. The new actors were great but I can’t help but miss Milly Alcock.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:32 pm

Good but definitely a transition episode. The new actors were great but I can’t help but miss Milly Alcock.
Some of the old actors staying in it confused me at first

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:33 pm

Like apparently Daemon and Ser Criston didn't age a day

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:01 pm

Some of the old actors staying in it confused me at first
Same but I do like how they just threw us into the time jump and let us figure it out as we went.