Game of Thrones Discussion

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:36 am

The cinematography was top notch as was the score, agree 100% there. Also agree that it felt like GOT without it seeming like a cosplay.

After being 100% turned off by how the last season went of GOT, they roped me back into this world again and it feels good to be there. Excited to have appointment television and see how this plays out.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:19 am

Based on the books, they better figure out the CGI soon bc there will be a lot of dragon action in this series.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:57 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:57 pm

Appointment television man. I missed it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:52 pm

On Monday, Warner Bros. Discovery revealed that 9.986 million viewers across linear and HBO Max platforms tuned in to watch the first episode of the prequel series Sunday night. This is the largest audience of any new original series in the history of HBO, the company said.
HBO also said Sunday viewers are typically 20% to 40% of total episode viewers. Season 7 averaged 10.26MM and S8 was at 11.99MM. No idea if that is total viewers or Sunday night. Regardless, they seem to have Godfather Part 3 "pull me back in" memed everyone so far.

In further comparison, S1 averaged 2.52MM and the series premiere had 2.22MM. Wonder what viewership levels the cost cutting, movie cancelling CEO will deem acceptable for a S2. My guess is this easily ends up as HBO's most viewed content.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:34 pm

Better Call Saul had a massive rating for its first episode of the series and then it dropped to half of that for episode 2. BCS was a pretty damn good and popular show and HOD could only hope to be similar, quality-wise. But I think the idea of a spin off show is much more attractive to the average viewer than the spin off itself. Also, people probably go in with unrealistic expectations that the show will begin at the same intensity as the original show had at its peak, not realizing that the first episode will be slower or more expositionary because they have to introduce so many characters and threads

I would bet the farm that HOD will be the same. In no way indicative of the show’s quality, but I can’t imagine that the viewership will be remotely close to the first episode’s number

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:35 pm

also, streaming completely messes with that number as well. I’m sure a lot of BCS watchers saw the premiere of the first episode and then decided to stream the other episodes

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:40 pm

It’ll be interesting to see how HOD plays the balance of call backs to GOT but also separating itself with not just unique characters but also production in general. BCS was successful because it was inherently a different kind of show than BB (slower paced and less gigantic set pieces)

One of my wishes for HOD is that they’d come up with their own theme song, separate from the classic/very iconic GOT theme. It doesn’t seem like they did, which is fine, but I think it’s something that could’ve separated HOD from GOT in a very good way. And I’m not saying that they should avoid the GOT theme altogether but now’s an opportunity for new musical motifs, especially since we’ll probably hear a lot of the Targaryen theme

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:18 am

I fully expect a unique HOD theme next week when the intro is added.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:19 am

Ah did they announce something about the intro?

I thought the narration and lack of intro was an interesting choice for ep 1

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:59 am

Yeah they announced that there would be an intro starting with episode 2. IIRC, the GOT pilot didn’t include the intro either.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:28 am

Source of the post Better Call Saul had a massive rating for its first episode of the series and then it dropped to half of that for episode 2
Better Call Saul had a viewership of 6.8m for the premiere. A huge number, definitely. The best in cable history at the time, and maybe still I'm not sure. HOD had 3 million more than that. Even if viewership is cut in half for episode 2, they're only slightly less than the Saul premiere. And by the way, that 9.9m number is US only. The House of the Dragon premiere is absolutely massive and just proves that the whole "Game of Thrones is a dead brand" thing is and always has been stupid. What is dead will never die.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:32 am

HBO needs more eyes on HoD, as I'm sure it's far more expensive to produce than BCS for AMC.

FWIW, I didn't want HoD to be good, but *****, they've sucked me back in. I really enjoyed it.

Speaking of cost, Breaking Bad was supposed to take place in the Inland Empire of central California. But Sony or AMC found huge tax breaks to film in ABQ. I can't imagine the shows taking place anywhere else. New Mexico is a character tbh.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:02 am

Agree with the sentiment here. They sucked me back in and it was great to be back in this world. I know there will be a time jump this season, but having a Wikipedia overview of The Dance of Dragons, I'm intrigued as to how they're going to make this work/how many season they're planning. We're like three decades from **** hitting the fan.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Also, my biggest criticism of the first episode is how cheap it felt. The cinematography felt much lower quality than that of GOT. And each HOD has a budget of $20 million while GOT never got more costly than $15 million. The CGI in particular was poor. I never felt like the dragons in GOT were bad but the HOD dragons were laughably bad imo.

I’m hoping it’s just pilot episode complexity and the quality will improve over each iteration but it was upsetting to see at first

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:07 pm

Hmm I don’t agree with that assessment at all. I thought it looked great and better than anything else on tv/streaming right now.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:51 pm

Cinematography was top notch IMO.

Agree on the cgi being a bit weak overall

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:51 pm

Hmm I don’t agree with that assessment at all. I thought it looked great and better than anything else on tv/streaming right now.
Agreed. It looked great, as most HBO stuff does. Genre to genere, compare this to The Wheel of Time, which looked like absolute garbage. There was definitely a different feel to some of it versus GOT, specifically interior wide shots that were definitely CGI but weren't necessarily noticeably so. The dragons aren't great, but it is what it is. Every production seems to be having CGI issues lately, with the MCU being Exhibit A as their CGI has gotten worse over time despite the insane budgets their movies and shows have.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:52 pm

I concede that it’s very subjective, particularly when I can’t articulate my criticisms more descriptively, but it just felt daytime tv-ish to me. Lighting felt off or something, idk

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:58 pm

This was def me. More the first episode than the trailer but the sentiment is the same.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:17 am

Every production seems to be having CGI issues lately, with the MCU being Exhibit A as their CGI has gotten worse over time despite the insane budgets their movies and shows have.
The industry as a whole is currently overworked and underpaid.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:16 am

After watching the first episode, I got to thinking. If this prequel does a good job and brings the audience back in, HBO really really needs to consider a redo of seasons 6 and 7. I think it would be one of the first times that a “redo” of a monumental series was done but people would really be into it. They can even bring in the same actors, most aren’t doing anything anyways

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:26 am

If by re-do, you mean "re-write" then absolutely (and I know you mean seasons 7 and 8).

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:30 am

I'd rather them move on and tell new stories. What's done is done.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:02 pm

I'd be fine with them righting whatever wrongs through the Jon Snow north of the wall spin-off that's being worked on.