Game of Thrones Discussion

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:52 am

Very well done, Paddy C crushed it, good stuff.

The re-casting continues to be distracting for me. Aemond is supposed to be the younger brother of Aegon and yet dude looks like he's closer to Matt Smith's age :lol:

I think my biggest criticism at this point is the continual time-jumps make the episodes feel extremely individualistic in nature. So while some are objectively well-made, it doesn't carry the satisfaction that comes from a seamless narrative with one ep flowing into the next.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:04 am

man this shows good. Really superb characters and the acting is top notch all around

really my only “complaints” at this point are where they sometimes lean on the GOT formula rather than sticking to their own. “Bend the knee” became such a tired phrase after the second time it was said in GOT and I wince whenever I hear it on HOTD. Also the “shock” and bordering on comical deaths like
Lord Beesbury
. It just felt so out of place for a show that’s otherwise supreme quality

the scene where Larys uh…”appreciates” Alicent’s feet was one of the best moments of acting I’ve ever seen. He mentions that she’s being spied on and in reply to something she says, he glances over slightly to his right and says “eh”. It was a “holy ****” kind of acting moment because of how subtle yet precise it was

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:53 am

While I thoroughly enjoy watching this show, I do have some things that just seem off.
How does this whole entire episode happen without Rhaenrya or Daemon? Are they just completely isolated and Hightower can just mobilize and do whatever he wants and the only opposition are stragglers that he can just execute or Alicent being like "please don't make me murder my friend"?

Lile, obviously I just want to see the Hightowers flayed, sooner than later, and I want to see Daemon go off on the dodints. But I feel like those two are more just bit players and exercise no influence, all they did was pay some guy to murder his lover so that they can marry. Her kids are just absolbe little dodints that just get abused physically and mentally every scene they have with Alicent's sons.

Guess I'm just sick of Hightower and Criston being basically the only characters able to influence anything with everyone else just getting pushed around like dodints.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:36 am

While I thoroughly enjoy watching this show, I do have some things that just seem off.
How does this whole entire episode happen without Rhaenrya or Daemon? Are they just completely isolated and Hightower can just mobilize and do whatever he wants and the only opposition are stragglers that he can just execute or Alicent being like "please don't make me murder my friend"?

Lile, obviously I just want to see the Hightowers flayed, sooner than later, and I want to see Daemon go off on the dodints. But I feel like those two are more just bit players and exercise no influence, all they did was pay some guy to murder his lover so that they can marry. Her kids are just absolbe little dodints that just get abused physically and mentally every scene they have with Alicent's sons.

Guess I'm just sick of Hightower and Criston being basically the only characters able to influence anything with everyone else just getting pushed around like dodints.
Haven't seen the episode yet, but from my understanding of previous wiki readings...
Pretty much yes. Daemon and Rhaenrya aren't on the council and have **** off to Dragonstone. Pretty sure at this point they don't even know Viserys is dead as The Leg kept it secret for as long as possible to the point that Viserys was just left rotting away in his chambers while dirty dealings were going on.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:39 pm

Haven't seen the episode yet, but from my understanding of previous wiki readings...
Pretty much yes. Daemon and Rhaenrya aren't on the council and have **** off to Dragonstone. Pretty sure at this point they don't even know Viserys is dead as The Leg kept it secret for as long as possible to the point that Viserys was just left rotting away in his chambers while dirty dealings were going on.
Yes, in the aftershow/behind the scenes thing, one of the producers say that Daemon and Rhaenyra don't even know the King is dead yet at the time of the coronation.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:41 pm

it’s like Queen Elizabeth in the real world. how long do you think she was dead until it was announced to the world? Politics is all about controlling the narrative and making sure you use your positioning to your advantage

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:59 pm

This show is so damn good. My biggest complaint is I don’t feel a super strong connection to any of the characters yet. In contrast to season 1 of GOT, by the time of the penultimate episode when Ned Stark is killed, I was so attached to Ned and his family. In HOD, I wouldn’t have had that emotional response to any character’s death.

My guess is that has to do with the time jumps and the pacing of the plot so far (which has been swift af). I’m really loving the story but I’m not particularly rooting for anybody.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:41 pm

I agree with that. I feel the same way. I feel like I should be rooting for Rhaenyra, but it’s like we’re still getting to know all the characters and none of them are just completely good, like a ned stark.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:51 pm

I honestly like the idea of not having a character to root for. Ned was fun to root for but the reasons that made him a rootsble also led to his demise. Similarly, the Starks after the Red Wedding were very boring, all good characters

Rhaenyra isn’t exactly a good person in the universe. It’s what I like about HOTD’s story…every character is complicated

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:57 pm

I really like that we hated Alicent for calling into question the legitimacy of Rhaenyra‘s children and their claim to the throne when we loved Ned Stark for doing the same thing. I also like that Alicent went from villain to a much more complicated character in the last few weeks.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:50 pm

all they did was pay some guy to murder his lover so that they can marry.
If you are talking about Ser Qarl killing Laenor, Rhaenyra and Daemon actually arranged it so that it appeared that Laenor was dead, but he actually was alive. He was the one rowing the boat that Qarl jumped into when fleeing Driftmark.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:26 am

If you are talking about Ser Qarl killing Laenor, Rhaenyra and Daemon actually arranged it so that it appeared that Laenor was dead, but he actually was alive. He was the one rowing the boat that Qarl jumped into when fleeing Driftmark.
Oh dear oh dear.

I remember them seeming to make a thing about who was rowing the boat, but was miffed cause I couldn't tell who it was

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:33 am

Oh dear oh dear.

I remember them seeming to make a thing about who was rowing the boat, but was miffed cause I couldn't tell who it was
All of the recasting made it difficult from week to week to learn the characters. I think the children have been recast 2-3x already, and will probably get recast next season. It was easy with Emily Carey/Olivia Cooke and Milly Alcock/Emma D'Arcy because they look like each other and spend more time on screen, but the kids and secondary characters, not so much on both accounts. Shaved head didn't help either.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:08 pm

I was fooled when I first watched it, and didn't realize it until I watched the behind the scenes stuff for the episode.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:29 pm

did she order what’s his face to pretend to kill Laenor or actually kill him? I thought it was the latter and he made an executive decision to run away with Laenor

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:39 pm

Spoiler?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:43 pm

what’s the protocol for that in here? That episode was several weeks ago. I assumed that anything beyond the most recent episode is ok

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Yinz are idiots.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm

My thoughts are spoilers should be expected in series/film specific threads. In the general TV or movies thread, everything should use spoiler tags.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:27 pm

agree with @nocera

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:49 pm

I try to put anything that happened in the most recent episode in spoilers just in case someone hasn’t been able to watch it yet but anything that’s more than one episode old is fair game

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:18 pm

did she order what’s his face to pretend to kill Laenor or actually kill him? I thought it was the latter and he made an executive decision to run away with Laenor
It was to pretend to kill him.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:25 pm

It was to pretend to kill him.
hm that’s annoying. I really hope they don’t try to make her look sympathetic (not that I want her to be bad either but I don’t want a repeat of the Starks where they’re annoyingly good in a world of complicated characters)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:28 pm

also, speaking of last episode

I’ve read a lot of mixed reaction to the last episodes ending. Personally when I watched it, I thought it was fine. People are upset that they tried to make a girl boss moment with Rhaenys killing all the peasants but I saw it as her playing true to the whole theme of the universe: the small folk don’t matter to the nobility. It wasn’t a girl boss moment. It was her trying to act like a girl boss but actually just being a giant piece of **** like everyone else. I hope the show runners didn’t intend for it to be a girl boss moment though

Also people upset that she didn’t kill the greens…it falls under the same reasoning. She shows the greens mercy because she’s “noble” but again, she completely ignored the fact that she murdered thousands of people.

We’ll see how the show digests the scene though

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:37 pm

People are upset she didn’t kill them all? But that would end the show. There would be no more show.