Game of Thrones Discussion

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:11 am

I'm way behind, but I just finished up HOTD. I enjoyed it more than the last 2 seasons of GOT, but that's a low bar.

I had mixed feeling overall. It was a beautiful show to watch and very well acted, but the time jumps made it hard to form much of an emotional connection. Huge, life changing events happened to characters and then the next ep, or sometimes the next scene, it was like they were forgotten about. Characters came and went without us getting to know them at all. It all so rushed. The first 7 episodes felt like a history book, where we had to be shown certain events so we'd understand the context in the future, but there was no heart to them. It was all, "just the facts ma'am."

That said, it did come together in episode 8 and the last couple eps were riveting.
I haven't watched the show, but the bolded is exactly how the book was written. The style wasn't my cup of tea. GRRM would put unverified "facts" in there -such and such may have happened, but it may have also happened this way - all throughout the book. It didn't add to the story or give him reason for a plot twist, it was just his way of making it read like a history book with missing or unverified information. It's fiction buddy, all of the details are open to interpretation because it comes out of your brain.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:32 am

Just finished a game of thrones rewatch

1. The show rules
2. The pacing on the earlier seasons is faster than I remember. So much stuff is always happening
3. Tried to go into the final seasons with an open mind this time, but it really does just crumble. I remember thinking it was the north of the wall excursion where it turns, but actually it’s just when Jon snow meets danaerys. Just absurd and completely contrived.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:55 am

Was looking for something to watch last night after my wife passed out and realized I still have an episode of HOTD left. I know what happens, but at this point I'll probably wait until before S2 comes out NEXT **** SUMMER and just re-watch all of S1 before then. Having to wait years between seasons of a 10ish episode seasons of shows is starting to annoy me.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:27 am

Was looking for something to watch last night after my wife passed out and realized I still have an episode of HOTD left. I know what happens, but at this point I'll probably wait until before S2 comes out NEXT **** SUMMER and just re-watch all of S1 before then. Having to wait years between seasons of a 10ish episode seasons of shows is starting to annoy me.
This is one of the perks of being a cheapo like me. I sub to Netflix DVD and that's it. I'm on my mom's Netflix and Disney plan, so those can fill the time between disks in the mail. I just wait until a series is over before watching. I think the OG GOT we back watched all the way up to the last season. Timed it perfectly so we finished the second to last season as the last season was airing, then subbed to a free one month trial of HBO to catch up on the missed episodes and watch the last two live. Cancelled before we had to pay a dime.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:45 am

My son is watching GoT through for the first time. He stopped watching for a while, but I happened to ask him where he was in the series - Rains of Castamere (season 3, episode 9). So I sat down with him and watched it, and he had quite the reaction to the Red Wedding. Just like the rest of us.

Man, I forgot about the last scene where the Frey guardsman comes in off screen for the jugular slice on Catelyn Stark.

By the way, I was shocked to see that episode aired almost 10 years ago. As such, I'm not spoilering anything. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:30 am

Looks like it'll be 8 episodes.
It has been reported that House of the Dragon’s creative team had envisioned the series running for three or four seasons. I hear executive producer-showrunner Ryan Condal, working with author/executive producer George R.R. Martin, took a step back as Season 2 was being put together to take a big-picture view of the series, which follows Martin’s Fire & Blood, and figure out the overall narrative flow, including how to break up the stories season-to-season and what battles to include and when.

...With a portion of the plot originally intended for Season 2, including a major battle, moving to Season 3, I hear it is now more likely that the series would run for four seasons, but that has not been determined as Condal and Martin continue to go back-and-forth on the number of seasons (three or four) that would be optimal to tell the full story, sources said.
On one hand, I love that they're plotting everything out. This, along with the source material actually being complete, should avoid the GOT seasons 7&8 issues. That said, a 10 episode season, a 2 year break, followed by an 8 episode season is bunk. At this pace, we'll get the final season (4) in 2028.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:00 pm

HOTD S2 started production today, so I guess that'll be out in like 2025. Also,
The “Game of Thrones” prequel based on George R.R. Martin’s “Dunk and Egg” books is officially moving forward at HBO.

The announcement was made during Warner Bros. Discovery presentation to press and investors on April 12, in which it was announced that the combined HBO Max and Discovery+ streaming service will be known simply as Max. It also comes a little over two years after Variety exclusively reported that the series was in development.
Martin will serve as writer and executive producer, as will Ira Parker, who was a co-executive producer on Season 1 of “House of the Dragon.” “Game of Thrones” and “House of the Dragon” vets Ryan Condal and Vince Gerardis will serve as executive producers.
Dude hasn't finished the original series, hasn't finished this series, likes to write his fake history books, and is now writing this show. :face:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:37 pm

Good grief. I was at 50% not going to read Winds of Winter, but I doubt we'll see it. Maybe AI will have progressed enough in a couple of years to finish writing it for him. :lol:

Dunk and Egg is good stuff though.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:40 pm

The first Dunk and Egg story was my entry to the ASOIAF world. It was first published in the anthology book Legends, which I bought because it contained the Wheel of Time novella "New Spring" by Robert Jordan and Dark Tower short story "The Little Sisters of Eluria" by Stephen King. I liked "The Hedge Knight" enough that I bought the main books. The same anthology also contained "The Sea and Little Fishes"—a Granny Weatherwax short story by Terry Pratchett—and that led to me buying every Discworld book.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:01 pm

just read that the HotD actors can continue acting because they’re in a different union

that means rather than having to wait 7 years for season 2, we only have to wait 6 years!

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:39 pm

Eeeeeh I doubt that.

U.K. Actors Union Equity to Support SAG-AFTRA Strike by ‘All Lawful Means’
https://variety.com/2023/film/global/eq ... 235669700/

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:12 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:49 pm

just read that the HotD actors can continue acting because they’re in a different union

that means rather than having to wait 7 years for season 2, we only have to wait 6 years!
Eeeeeh I doubt that.

U.K. Actors Union Equity to Support SAG-AFTRA Strike by ‘All Lawful Means’
https://variety.com/2023/film/global/eq ... 235669700/

Finished filming and slated for release next summer, so I guess mimh wins this round.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:36 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:03 pm

I'm realizing now that I have very little memory of season 1. I should probably rewatch that before season 2.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:23 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:08 pm

Those plotlines are what makes GRRM's task of finishing the books close to impossible. Maybe he should lose a few :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:13 pm

the "winter is coming" thing is the one that gets me the most. like I'm watching the early seasons with my gf right now and they talk about how long and brutal the last winter was. does winter just go away because they defeated the white walkers?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:45 pm

The sum total of what I know about this show comes from watching only the most hilarious and gruesome deaths, and from YouTube videos talking about the rudimentary gaffes in plotting/screenwriting that riddled the later seasons. So..... grain of salt.

But I thought in the context of that usage the phrase was a metaphor, like "S**t's about to get real, dawg". (There is also apparently no real rhyme or reason to the seasons of Westeros(is that what it's called?), and people can't rely on a calendar to tell when it'll get brutally cold or oppressively hot. So there is an arbitrary nature to when, in fact, winter comes, which means in that context it can be highly literal.)
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:39 pm

nah, in the early seasons they warn of a literal winter and how the current summer/season has lasted for an abnormally long time and that they expect the next winter to be brutal (references to how many people died in the last winter and how they have to prepare food storage and whatnot for the next one). There’s a little bit of a metaphor that the winter coincides with the invasion of the white walkers but the phrase “winter is coming” is said well before those characters know about the ice zombies

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:44 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:09 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:29 pm

ha that’s cool that they split it up with the greens and blacks

I don’t know a ton of the lore but I think it has a lot of potential. The first season wasn’t bad; just a little odd with the massive time skips but I understand narratively why they did that

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:31 pm

Jon Snow spinoff officially shelved. Kit Harrington interviewed and said they didn't have a story to tell that they loved enough to move forward with.

https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-jon ... -response/