Game of Thrones Discussion

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Mon May 27, 2019 4:12 pm

There was a lot in that documentary dedicated to that Stark soldier extra.
I think that credit scene was supposed to be funny but I found it pretty depressing.
I know what you mean. Had a little bit of that vibe too.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:47 pm

Kit Harington is in rehab for exhaustion and alcohol issues :cry:

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/28/kit-hari ... ssion=true

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Kit Harington is in rehab for exhaustion and alcohol issues :cry:

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/28/kit-hari ... ssion=true
Ah keeled muh kwaheen

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 28, 2019 7:55 pm

heh

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue May 28, 2019 8:04 pm

I once suffered from exhaustion and alcohol issues. I called it "law school."

Heyoo!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 pm

Hope you enjoyed luxury rehab.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Clegane Bowl - with lightsabers and Star Wars score!

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm

For all the wrong, Clegane bowl was done right.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 29, 2019 3:02 pm

For all the wrong, Clegane bowl was done right.
i think the fight was great. but it had no stakes attached to it whatsoever. which really made it meaningless - particularly since the hound didn't even get more than 5 seconds while falling into a fireball to even acknowledge what happened. if the mountain just went, "ok lol. see you at the family reunion" and just proceeded to nope out of that stairway, then the story ends in the exact same place.

there should have been something/someone on the line. it's another one of their complete bumblings, imo

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed May 29, 2019 3:27 pm

The staircase shot with the dragon flying past though...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:33 pm

i think the fight was great. but it had no stakes attached to it whatsoever.
Action has to have a beginning-middle-end structure that's not really different from the narrative storytelling. In short terms, you as a viewer should be able to know what's going on in the scene - what is at stake - just by the setup and visuals. You should not require context. The club scene in the first John Wick movie is an excellent example: You don't need to know the back story of the beagle puppy or the stolen car, but it's clear early on that Neo is right pissed at the guy in the hotub, and he's going to murder-death-kill his way through a whole bunch of people to get at him.

I've only watched the lightsaber version of this bowl thingy, but once the Terminator lady peaces out, I have no idea why anything happens the way it does. Magical armor that easily deflects the strongest broad blows, but can be stabby stabbed; brain pierced, not dead (zombie?); suicide!, I don't get it. There are sort of hints in the dialog, but I'm only hoping there was additional stuff in the source material that was cut our for this remake that clarifies things a bit better.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm only hoping there was additional stuff in the source material
Only like 8 seasons worth

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed May 29, 2019 3:44 pm

I have to say, watching tif try to figure out wtf is going on in GOT by reading articles and watching satire clips is hilarious.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:44 pm

No I mean in the scene itself. It has to be self-sufficient without requiring familiarity with 60 hours of backstory. Backstory adds weight, not motivation.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 29, 2019 3:46 pm

I'm only hoping there was additional stuff in the source material
Only like 8 seasons worth
The source material establishes motive. Not stakes. There was literally no consequence to that fight. Even the emotional stakes were stripped out by making it a murder/suicide with neither party given a chance to process what happened.

Also - to tif’s point, the mortality of the bigger one has never been established over 8 seasons. There was no indication prior to the fight if he could die. Or even be injured. There wasn’t even an acknowledgement that he knew who he was or his brother was.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 pm

Source of the post Backstory adds weight, not motivation.
Source of the post The source material establishes motive. Not stakes.
Now wait a minute.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed May 29, 2019 3:54 pm

There were no stakes not because of a failing by the writers (and there were plenty of those) but because there were literally no stakes. The Hound wanted to kill his brother and die trying because he wanted vengeance. In this instance, I feel like adding stakes (for example, the Hound has to defeat the Mountain so Arya can get to Cersei and kill her) would have been forced. This was a pointless, stupid suicide mission that's been building for basically the entire series.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 29, 2019 4:04 pm

There were no stakes not because of a failing by the writers (and there were plenty of those) but because there were literally no stakes. The Hound wanted to kill his brother and die trying because he wanted vengeance. In this instance, I feel like adding stakes (for example, the Hound has to defeat the Mountain so Arya can get to Cersei and kill her) would have been forced. This was a pointless, stupid suicide mission that's been building for basically the entire series.
stakes could easily be applied by the writers. arya runs ahead, the hound chases her. the mountain has her by the throat. the hound saves her. there you go. she lives because he fights. the fight now matters.

...but they did this other thing instead where they stripped arya of a character arc and had 2 guys who were going to die anyways kill each other.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm

...but they did this other thing instead where they stripped arya of a character arc and had 2 guys who were going to die anyways kill each other.
But that was Arya's character arc. She grew and abandoned her suicide mission. The Hound did not. They were two sides of the same coin but she changed and lived while he did not and died.

I know other options would have been more viscerally rewarding to the audience, but I think that time the writers got it right.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 pm

but it wasn't earned. lol. but seriously i agree and like that she abandoned her list but it felt out of the blue thus dumb. the hound gives a little speech and all the sudden she's got child eyes and is like aw shucks good advice thanks hound and proceeds to head back into the dangerous firestorm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

but it wasn't earned. lol. but seriously i agree and like that she abandoned her list but it felt out of the blue thus dumb. the hound gives a little speech and all the sudden she's got child eyes and is like aw shucks good advice thanks hound and proceeds to head back into the dangerous firestorm
I don't think it was out the blue, just rushed to the extreme like everything else this season (and much of last.)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 29, 2019 4:45 pm

But that was Arya's character arc. She grew and abandoned her suicide mission. The Hound did not. They were two sides of the same coin but she changed and lived while he did not and died.

I know other options would have been more viscerally rewarding to the audience, but I think that time the writers got it right.
I always like seeing your opinions in this thread. A lot of the complaints about character decisions just seem like jaded fans whereas you approach the situation as someone who has actually created stories and needed to conclude character arcs. It's a nice variance.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 29, 2019 4:46 pm

I have a trip coming up with lots of long train rides, flights, and evenings on my own. A co-worker of mine has all the seasons downloaded and I'll be starting from the beginning with absolutely zero idea of the plot or any info about this show. I know there are dragons, I know there's nudity, and I know a bunch of people die, so I'm looking forward to it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 29, 2019 4:51 pm

FYI don't have any favorite characters.