Game of Thrones Discussion

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:52 pm

I saw this on freefolk today and it made me chuckle
Arya was my favorite character in the first like 6 seasons, then she goes to Braavos, has her ego almost assassinated, has her life almost assassinated, has to kill more people, then goes back to Westeros and she's suddenly Boss dodint strutting around everywhere like she **** owns the place. Where is her trauma? This is a literal child who in the span of a few months has half a dozen friends murdered, is separated from all of her family, witnesses her father executed, is kidnapped by a man she wants to kill, lives under the constant threat of rape, is dragged around like a prize pony at auction, witnesses her brother's decapitated body paraded around by what were his own allies, goes to bed at night repeating names of people she harbors a homicidal rage for, is seduced into enrolling in Murder High School, then she gets back on a boat and wham bam she's over it bro I came here to **** Gendry and kill the night king, and I've already **** Gendry

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:16 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-r-r-m ... 00168.html
HBO's hit series "Game of Thrones" came to an end in 2019 with two shortened seasons, which brought the total to eight seasons and 73 episodes. But the story's original creator, the author George R.R. Martin, pushed for up to 10 seasons and 100 total episodes, according to a new book.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 am

Everyone except for D+D wanted it to go longer. Given how it turned out, I kinda wish HBO had fired them instead.

I don't hate everything about the last couple seasons, but there were a lot of "missing scenes" that could have improved certain plot points a lot... And of course some things that were just dumb and nothing was going to save them.

It is wild how the show was at the forefront of popular culture and they dropped the ball so bad that it has pretty much completely disappeared.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 am

Is that new book The Winds of Winter because otherwise Martin can STFO.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:39 am

HBO should have 100% fired them. Allowed them to inadvertently completely destroy the IP. I’ll be stunned if the spin-offs last for any significant length of time.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:53 am

Somebody figured it out. Just make more got content, just don’t call it got

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:05 pm

8/21 House of the Dragon

Woo?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:04 pm

Fart noise.

I’m sure Georgie is super hard at work on the books.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:16 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 05, 2022 11:19 am

I have no interest in it. the original series had a soulfulness to it (at least in the beginning, it absolutely went down the shitter towards the end) but now it all feels like it's going through the endless money grab cycle that Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc are going through

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 05, 2022 11:51 am

I read the books that are based off the House of the Dragon. Hopefully they do a better job telling the story in the show than they did in the books.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 06, 2022 1:53 pm

As someone who hadn't read the books (still) but had an interest in the series, I remember when the first trailer (which was hilariously bad) for GOT came out. Lots of young and unknown faces and character shots for the readers, but the entire thing was carried by Sean Bean (who is a powerhouse and added immediate legitimacy) and boosted by "Hey! That dude was in the Heath Ledger jousting movie", "Is that the queen from 300?", "That dude was in Stargate: Atlantis!", "**** Tommy Carcetti", and Peter Dinklage.

Now that's obviously a personal perspective based on other things I had watched, but I don't think Paddy Considine, Matt Smith's dumb face, Rhys Ifans, or Graham McTavish are adding any weight or legitimacy to this show like the cast of the original series did. Top it off with GOT having hype and expectations vs. this show trying to build off the shattered dreams of a destroyed and now maligned series.... I just don't give a ****. Maybe if the internet tells me it's good or if Olivia Cooke gets naked, then sure I might give it a watch. I just really don't give a **** at this point.

Part of it, to tie MIMH's comment into this, but this definitely feels different than GOT. Even things like how awesome the dragon reveal was or finally seeing the dragons in combat after years of waiting.... and now we're just going to get dragons shoved up our asses on a weekly basis. Meh.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 06, 2022 4:11 pm

As someone who hadn't read the books (still) but had an interest in the series, I remember when the first trailer (which was hilariously bad) for GOT came out. Lots of young and unknown faces and character shots for the readers, but the entire thing was carried by Sean Bean (who is a powerhouse and added immediate legitimacy) and boosted by "Hey! That dude was in the Heath Ledger jousting movie", "Is that the queen from 300?", "That dude was in Stargate: Atlantis!", "**** Tommy Carcetti", and Peter Dinklage.

Now that's obviously a personal perspective based on other things I had watched, but I don't think Paddy Considine, Matt Smith's dumb face, Rhys Ifans, or Graham McTavish are adding any weight or legitimacy to this show like the cast of the original series did. Top it off with GOT having hype and expectations vs. this show trying to build off the shattered dreams of a destroyed and now maligned series.... I just don't give a ****. Maybe if the internet tells me it's good or if Olivia Cooke gets naked, then sure I might give it a watch. I just really don't give a **** at this point.

Part of it, to tie MIMH's comment into this, but this definitely feels different than GOT. Even things like how awesome the dragon reveal was or finally seeing the dragons in combat after years of waiting.... and now we're just going to get dragons shoved up our asses on a weekly basis. Meh.
It will definitely be dragons up the wazoo. If the show goes anything like the books, there will be plenty of action but no boobies. Yeah, there's incest but GRRM didn't go into the details like he did with ASOIAF. The TV writers may want to get more viewers so it may be in their interest to add boob.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Sun May 08, 2022 12:56 pm

TIL littlefinger was carcetti. and i watched the wire again after watching GOT

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:17 am

‘Game of Thrones’ Jon Snow Sequel Series in Development at HBO (Exclusive)

www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/ga ... 167415/amp

I'd be excited for this in hopes it was done right.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:25 am

Can’t wait to see him be mopey and dull behind the wall. (Is that where he ended up? I’ve basically forgotten the finale.)

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 am

Yeah he is banished behind the wall. Well, what's left of it anyway. I'm interested because it opens the door to other characters returning and maybe righting some of the wrongs from S7 & 8.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:01 am

I think Arya exploring Not Westeros would be more interesting, but agree that the opportunity to right wrongs intrigues me. They’ll never be able to undo the White Walkers being one episode pussies or Dany setting a world record for going crazy, but I’d be onboard with **** other character ends.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:03 am

I've grown more bitter towards D+D over time. HBO really should have dumped them as soon as they decided that they wanted to race to the end.

There was some dumb stuff that no amount of setup could have fixed but also a lot that was rushed so necessary scenes were left out or characters had to go against everything we had seen so far just to get where they were going faster.

It's still amazing how they managed to reduce the secret of Jon's father down to a simple means of creating tension between him and Dany. I'm sure Martin was thrilled. (of course he has no one to blame but himself for them beating him to the reveal so..)

All this is to say I have no real expectations for the prequels and sequels, but will at least check them out.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:04 am

No, they can't undo anything they did unless they go full scale retcon which I don't see happening. But it does mean that the disappointing season 8 and finale won't be the last we see of these characters so it won't have the weight of that finality anymore. I was actually surprised that it's Jon Snow who got the spinoff and not Arya.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:05 am

No, they can't undo anything they did unless they go full scale retcon which I don't see happening. But it does mean that the disappointing season 8 and finale won't be the last we see of these characters so it won't have the weight of that finality anymore. I was actually surprised that it's Jon Snow who got the spinoff and not Arya.
Could come down to who wanted to do another show as well...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:27 am

None of them really have interesting careers at this point. Kit is a mediocre actor and got minimal screen time in a Marvel movie everyone hated. Dinklage will always be top LP in Hollywood so he can easily refuse. Sansa was a shitty X-Men and played one of the daughters in HBO’s dramatization of The Staircase so she’s not exactly turning down leading roles. Bran sucks. Don’t think I’ve seen Arya in anything other than her awful X-Men spin-off. Other than Dinklage I’m not sure any of the surviving cast is in a place to turn down a truckload of money.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:35 pm

Arya is going to play Pamela Rooke I believe in that new Sex Pistols movie

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:53 pm

Sometimes it takes awhile for actors/actresses to accept their lot and cash in. I recently saw a clip of Maisie Williams on a talk show and I didn't even recognize her... it seems like at least on the surface she may be trying to separate herself from Arya, but who knows.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:38 pm

Sansa is married to one of the Jonas brothers right? She doesn't really need to work if that is the case. She can just sit back and collect that sweet Jonas Bros money.