Game of Thrones Discussion

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Honestly, might have been the best episode ever.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 7:26 pm

I thought all the gold from Highgarden was looted by Cersei and used to pay the Golden Company or was burned by Dany during the supply train attack
Hmmm. Maybe they gave it back?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:52 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon May 20, 2019 7:53 pm

I'll pretend the last 45 minutes never happened.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon May 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Bronn actually ending up as Lord of Highgarden strikes me as one of the silliest parts of the ending, and it strikes me as dumb that he would actually demand what he did. No one in Highgarden or anywhere else in the Reach would owe him the slightest bit of loyalty. He's a complete outsider and would know it. I know all of the Tyrells were supposed to be killed off, but I guarantee that someone's great-grandma was a Tyrell who married some other lord, and that person would have a claim to be the heir of the house and the rightful lord of Highgarden. Plant a dagger in Bronn's back, or arrange a hunting accident where Bronn falls off his horse and accidentally lands on his own sword 20 or 30 times, or mortgage everything you own to hire a Faceless Man, and whoopsie, that guy who was appointed lord is so tragically dead, and now we need someone else to take over. Taking over like that would paint a giant target on Bronn's back.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon May 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Yea, other than it being another instance of a Lanister always paying his debt, it makes little sense other than to appease fans that wanted to see Bronn get his castle

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:15 pm

Yea, other than it being another instance of a Lanister always paying his debt, it makes little sense other than to appease fans that wanted to see Bronn get his castle
Correct. It was purely for feel good/humor reasons.

Davos, Pod, Brienne, Bronn, Tyrion, etc all miraculously make it to the end.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 pm

The Night King was actually coming to save Westeros.

I thought some kind of sinister gesture from Bran would have been a good way to end things... or set up Season 9.

NSFW - Language: This is probably the best summary of the final season and all of the theories and prophecies and how they were used:

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 pm

For sure though if he writes even one more book I'll go read them all which i haven't done yet

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am

Elizabeth Olsen auditioned for Dany back in the day, claiming it was a “really weird” audition: https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/elizabe ... ition.html

Mahershala Ali auditioned for Zaro Xhoan Daxos, which would have been interesting.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 21, 2019 7:07 am

I’m always up for more naked Elizabeth Olsen, but at this point I can’t picture anyone but Emilia in the role.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:03 am

So in summary, plot points that were not resolved/hashed out/just plain dumb:

-Arya's face changing
-Bran's warging at the Battle of Winterfell
-R + L = J / Aegon Targaryen
-Grey Worm and the rest of the crew somehow not killing Jon after he killed Dany, and the completely inexplicable time jump from Jon killing Dany to Tyrion suddenly showing up in the arena with the whole crew
-Grey Worm somehow being OK with letting Jon Snow ride off into the sunset after killing his queen, before he fcks off to Naath
-That stupid "A Song of Ice and Fire" scene, and the "You're not in there, Tyrion" inserted as some stupid joke by the writers. Why in the F would Tyrion not be in there? He killed Tywin Lannister, basically saved King's Landing during the Battle of Blackwater Bay, was the Hand to the King, etc. Lame attempt at a cheap laugh.
-We serve at your pleasure, Bran the Broken (seriously, at this point a laugh track would not have seemed out of place)
-Jon Snow's character being turned into a mumbling, useless idiot in S8. "YOU ARE MY QUEEN", "I DUN'T WANT ET"
-Jaime's six season redemption arc
-Varys sending out all of those ravens that "Jon Snow is the true heir to the throne". What the **** was the point of that? Where did the ravens go?

Etc etc etc. Damn it this was awful.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 am

SHE'S MUH KWEEN

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 am

R+L=J had distinct impact on the story. I don’t follow this take. It’s the exact reason he couldn’t be with Dany anymore which was the final straw for her going nutso. It wasn’t what people wanted but it mattered.

And Jon was always a mumbly, awkward dude to some extent. He didn’t want to rule. He wanted rest. So I don’t really mind how his social/political game was neutered this season. But he should have fought the NK. Or at least been partly responsible for the victory.

Beyond that, yeah. This show sucks.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 am

Jon was also a dude that earned respect by doing a number of bad ass things. I think the fact that he became so ineffectual upon being reunited with his siblings was bad storytelling.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 am

I don't think people cried this much about Jar-Jar.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Apparently, Bran Is No Longer A Stark...

― he is now part of House Raven.

In the scene where Ser Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie), Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, fills out Jaime Lannister’s (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) page in the Kingsguard White Book, Bran’s new sigil is seen on her breastplate. It appears to be a raven, soaring through the sky.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bran-sig ... 9c18f27ba5

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 am

Bran has the best story, you say. So good, in fact, that they cut him out of an entire season.

This isn’t healing with time.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 am

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Williams shared how she was disappointed that Arya Stark didn’t end up killing Cersei Lannister—even if it meant her character would also die. (Instead, of course, the Hound convinced her to leave the crumbling Red Keep just in time.) She also shared how, as she was reading the script for the penultimate episode, “The Bells,” she kept thinking she was finally going to come across the page where Arya and Cersei crossed paths for the final time.

“I wanted Arya to kill Cersei,” she said. “Even up to the point when Cersei’s with Jaime I thought, ‘He’s going to whip off his face [and reveal its Arya]’ and they’re both going to die. I thought that’s what Arya’s drive has been.”

She wasn’t the only one. Headey also told EW that Cersei’s death wasn’t like how she’d pictured it, and that she’d always thought Cersei would fall at the hands of Arya. “I lived that fantasy until I read the script,” Headey said. “There were chunky scenes and it was nothing that I had dreamt about. It was a bit of come down and you have to accept that it wasn’t to be.”

Headey did note that she thought Cersei’s final scene with Jaime Lannister was “poetic,” even if it wasn’t what she thought was going to happen. Williams also justified the final decision to have Arya leave King’s Landing instead of going after Cersei, even if it wasn’t what she wanted for the character. It showed how Arya had come full circle and found a reason to care about others again, partly thanks to being reunited with her family.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 am

I was watching it like she was reading it. I wanted Jaime to whip off his face, Cersei freaks the **** out that it’s arya, she kills her in a satisfying way, and then we cut to an undressed corpse, face down with a golden hand.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed May 22, 2019 9:42 am

I was watching it like she was reading it. I wanted Jaime to whip off his face, Cersei freaks the **** out that it’s arya, she kills her in a satisfying way, and then we cut to an undressed corpse, face down with a golden hand.
I dig it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

But really. What a loser Jaime turned out to be. Brienne really wove a tale in that book. But he was of no consequence after episode 1 as far as big picture goes. He even sucked as a hostage.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:34 pm

But really. What a loser Jaime turned out to be. Brienne really wove a tale in that book. But he was of no consequence after episode 1 as far as big picture goes. He even sucked as a hostage.
:(

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed May 22, 2019 2:25 pm

Another problem with the ending. It depicts Sam as a maester (I think he's even called the new Grand Maester). But maesters are similar to the Night's Watch in that they give up their lands and titles, must ignore their family ties, and take an oath of celibacy. So for Sam to take that job, he would not only have been required to give up his title as the Lord of House Tarly, he would also have also been required to dump Gilly and abandon the child she was pregnant with.

Same thing sort of goes for Pod. Members of the Kingsguard are forbidden from marrying and are supposed to be celibate (although a lot have broken that rule with mistresses or prostitutes). So he wouldn't be putting his magic willy to much use after that.