Game of Thrones Discussion

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:30 pm

The Economist with the data:

So the latest season of GoT is on par with the falls of Dexter and House of Cards last seasons. Interesting.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 17, 2019 3:33 pm

that tells a pretty accurate story...except Dexter was always secretly shitty and the Wire season 5 never happened.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:53 pm

I liked the first few seasons of Dexter, with the John Lithgow/Rita season being its peak.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 17, 2019 4:29 pm

i think it was an A+ premise, and A+ lead actor and D- everything else. the lithgow season really saved it from tanking much sooner

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 pm

The Red Wedding is the one fictional event that surpassed my shock at what happened at the end of that Lithgow season. Never saw either event happening...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat May 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Don't eat the help.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Sat May 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Just read the last pages. I regret

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:52 pm

So the latest season of GoT is on par with the falls of Dexter and House of Cards last seasons. Interesting.
I never watched House Of Cards, but I have to wonder how much of that fall off was driven by anti-Spacey sentiment.

During its run I watched a total of two complete episodes of The Sopranos, one being the finale. And with no emotional investment whatsoever in the characters, I still felt cheated. It's a top three worst finale ever for me.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat May 18, 2019 4:22 pm

I liked the first few seasons of Dexter, with the John Lithgow/Rita season being its peak.
That should have been the series finale.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:24 pm

I never watched House Of Cards, but I have to wonder how much of that fall off was driven by anti-Spacey sentiment.

During its run I watched a total of two complete episodes of The Sopranos, one being the finale. And with no emotional investment whatsoever in the characters, I still felt cheated. It's a top three worst finale ever for me.
I’m not sure it’s anti-Spacey so much as Pro-Spacey. He was so good, the show without him was a tremendous joke.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 pm

I’m not sure it’s anti-Spacey so much as Pro-Spacey. He was so good, the show without him was a tremendous joke.
And also, the plausibility of what was going on in HoC, which started in Season 2, went into absurd territory around that time.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 pm

I think blackjack is correct. People stopped giving a sht about HoC when Spacey was gone.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 19, 2019 2:16 pm

TIL Aaron Rodgers was in last week's episode. TIL the band playing at the Red Wedding were Sigur Rós.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sun May 19, 2019 2:18 pm

who dies? who sits on the throne? What do you got?

Dead: Dany, Jon, Greyworm.

Throne: I keep going back and forth between Sonsa and Tyrion, but I think I'm going with Tyrion.

Also, Vegas has Bran as the favorite to sit on the throne...
Dead: Grey Worm, Dany, and somehow Drogon

Throne: After a final battle, the Iron Throne ceases to exist. Kings Landing is destroyed.

The remaining Houses of Westeros agree to change the structure of rule in Westeros, deciding to exist independently and peacefully. Yara rules as Queen of the Iron Islands. Gendry Baratheon rules the Stormlands as Lord of Storm's End. Dorne is ruled by whatever prince they mentioned a couple of episodes ago. Bronn, in saving Tyrion's lift in the finale, is made Lord of Highgarden and gets his wish to eventually die in his own castle, drinking his own wine from his own vineyard (can't remember if this was in the books or show). The Vale is ruled by someone, either Bronze Yohn Royce or Robyn Arryn, if that pi$$ant is still around.

Tyrion survives and either becomes a Lord in the Riverlands - either from Riverrun if Edmure Tully didn't survive or from The Twins - or he heads back to The North to serve as Hand of the Queen to Sansa.

Sansa becomes Queen of the North with either Tyrion or Davos serving as her Hand and Brienne serving as her Queensguard.

Arya heads out on her own adventures; she spoke at one point of wanting to sail west of Westeros, so maybe she heads that way. I'd love to see her reunite with Nymeria one more time. Maybe Hot Pie, too.

Jon heads back North but decides to go back beyond the Wall to rejoin Tormund and the Wildlings. With no more wars to fight, he finally gets to do what he always wanted - serve as a range free beyond the Wall. I'd love for the last shot of Jon to be something reminiscent of Shawshank Redemption, a shot of Tormund and Ghost watching him approach Tormund's Wildling camp.

I honestly have no idea what happens to Bran. Maybe it ends with him waking up and we realize this was all a vision or dream. Maybe he morphs into the Weirwood Tree in Winterfell and becomes the next Three Eyed Raven.

Truthfully, I have no idea how this all ends. Maybe everyone dies and we're left with a dragon and a few direwolves. Maybe Drogon dies but we get a closing shot of a few dragon eggs somewhere else in the lands starting to hatch. Maybe it closes on a shot of the lands far beyond the Wall and the creation of another Night King, and the stories of thousands of years ago begin to repeat themselves again.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:32 pm

If GOT ends as some democracy I will forever feel like I have wasted my time with this show. The way this season had gone though it wouldn't surprise me.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Largely agree with stoosh, except I think Jon doesn’t survive and Tyrion gets Casterly Rock.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 pm

All aboard the Stoosh train for me.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 19, 2019 4:34 pm

What, if anything, happens to the Blackfish in the books?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 19, 2019 4:41 pm

On the show, we never see his death, we're only told he died fighting. Maybe D&D were unsure whether or not they'duse him again?

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sun May 19, 2019 4:56 pm

If GOT ends as some democracy I will forever feel like I have wasted my time with this show. The way this season had gone though it wouldn't surprise me.
Based on what I’ve heard from a few friends who saw the Reddit spoilers that are believed to be legitimate, I’m prepared to be disappointed but I’m honestly not sure what happens,

My prediction was based off some speculation/rumors that GRRM used The Wars of the Roses as some inspiration for the ending he told Benioff & Weiss that he planned.

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if (almost) everyone dies. If any show were to end this way, I’d put my money on Game of Thrones. Plus, I always wondered if Valar Morghulis was really the over-arching theme all along.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 19, 2019 5:59 pm

On the show, we never see his death, we're only told he died fighting. Maybe D&D were unsure whether or not they'duse him again?
He’s with Howland Reed in the Keep of Whocares.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:28 pm

He’s with Howland Reed in the Keep of Whocares.
Heh... "Maybe Howland Reed shows up this episode!"

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Let’s do this!

Opening my last package of GoT Oreos!

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Welp... Expecting to be disappointed tonight. I'll set the bar low.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Um....