Game of Thrones Discussion

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu May 16, 2019 12:35 pm

He definitely made the biggest impact but part of that was because it was an unexpected swerve. Not to turn this into the pro wrestling thread, but when discussing "earned" heel turns, Rollins isn't a great example. Now, Hogan's heel turn made total sense even in the moment. He had been getting booed for months, even years at that point. Regardless of how hard WCW tried, Hogan was always seen as a WWF guy. So, joining a faction with the WWF invaders who set out to destroy WCW and its fans (who were booing him) was well earned.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2019 12:40 pm

He definitely made the biggest impact but part of that was because it was an unexpected swerve. Not to turn this into the pro wrestling thread, but when discussing "earned" heel turns, Rollins isn't a great example. Now, Hogan's heel turn made total sense even in the moment. He had been getting booed for months, even years at that point. Regardless of how hard WCW tried, Hogan was always seen as a WWF guy. So, joining a faction with the WWF invaders who set out to destroy WCW and its fans (who were booing him) was well earned.
I disagree. Swerve has been a term now to mean something bad but this swerve along with the performer was able to take the odds on favorite to be a baby face and turn him into a heat magnet corporate heel that was able run with the momentum for what a full year without losing steam. (Run on sentence!) This is how a swerve is executed.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 16, 2019 12:43 pm

EW had an interview with Varys:
Were you disappointed not to have a final scene with [Littlefinger actor Aidan Gillen] last year?
I was very bummed to not have a final scene with him. I was bummed not to have any reaction to him dying, if he was my nemesis. That’s been my feeling the last couple seasons, that my character became more peripheral, that they concentrated on others more. That’s fine. It’s the nature of a multi-character show. It was kind of frustrating. As a whole it’s been overwhelmingly positive and brilliant but I suppose the last couple seasons weren’t my favorite.

Is there something else you wish Varys had gotten to do?
It would have been great to have had one more meeting with Littlefinger. I think they tried to make that work and couldn’t. It just felt like after season 6, I kind of dropped off the edge. I can’t complain because it’s six great seasons and I had some great scenes these last two seasons. But that’s when It changed for me a little. There was that Magnificent Seven trek up north to bring a white walker back. It makes total sense that Varys wouldn’t go. But the human in you is like, “I want to go.” It made perfect sense. He’s not a hero, he’s not a fighter. And even when they went back to King’s Landing a couple times they sneaked him in there. They had set it up that he knew the city like the back of his hand so I guess he was just … I dunno. I’m not dissatisfied on the whole. It sounds like I am. But it’s been brilliant.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 pm

I disagree. Swerve has been a term now to mean something bad but this swerve along with the performer was able to take the odds on favorite to be a baby face and turn him into a heat magnet corporate heel that was able run with the momentum for what a full year without losing steam. (Run on sentence!) This is how a swerve is executed.
I honestly love this conversation and that it's taking place in the GOT thread. I completely agree that Seth was a fantastic heel and it was the absolute best decision to have him be the one that turned. But it was only earned after the fact. Coming back to GOT, it'd be like if Dany spent the entirety of the next episode cutting a promo on WHY she turned.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Dany does have the mic chops for that. Lol

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Do you have to be dead for Arya to use your face? Can't remember and I think I've asked already

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Aye, and she has to be the one to do the killin'.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Are you saying she had to kill the face she’s wearing?

If so, objection!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 pm

I thought I remembered reading that - she can only wear faces of those she had killed. Or maybe in the show she's only done that so far? It's been a while since I read the books...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Are you saying she had to kill the face she’s wearing?

If so, objection!
Sustained

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 16, 2019 2:31 pm

I would hope that anyone who intended to wear my face would kill me beforehand.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu May 16, 2019 2:37 pm

I have talked myself into D&D redeeming themselves with the best episode in series history (and one that better contextualizes what I believe to be questionable story-telling decisions to this point in the season).

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 16, 2019 7:29 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks, I hate it.

Also forgot how much I hated Arya yelling that over and over again.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 am

probably one of the worst things ever created by humans

ban gaucho imo

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 17, 2019 9:20 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 am

I have talked myself into D&D redeeming themselves with the best episode in series history (and one that better contextualizes what I believe to be questionable story-telling decisions to this point in the season).

good to see the unearned optimism from your pitt fandom is translating to unearned optimism for GOT

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri May 17, 2019 9:43 am

Thought this was a pretty good article:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/l ... story.html

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 am

Yeah, that was good. I, too, am sick of the Superfan. Yes, they keep shows alive longer - but at what cost to the franchise/intellectual property?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 am

I thought I remembered reading that - she can only wear faces of those she had killed. Or maybe in the show she's only done that so far? It's been a while since I read the books...
Why would they have the "Hall of Faces" if they could only use certain ones?

Did she kill the little girl whose face was used when she kills Meryn Trent?

Did she kill the girl whose face was used when she killed Walder Frey?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am

Did she kill the little girl whose face was used when she kills Meryn Trent?
She gave her the poisoned water.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 am

Thought this was a pretty good article:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/l ... story.html
And as for King’s Landing, well, from the beginning, it has been portrayed as a perfectly dreadful place, the physical embodiment of all sorts of corruption, where nothing good ever happens and no one really wants to go.

The fact that it was extra-full of civilians created the first real moral crisis Daenerys has faced, and she chose what so many have chosen: To commit a horrific act for what she believes is the greater good by establishing herself as queen once and for all.

She did try kindness first, but that didn’t seem to be working out.
"commit a horrific act for what she believes is the greater good by establishing herself as queen once and for all"...she already did that without the horrific act. she won a war by herself. this is a nothing statement.

"She did try kindness first, but that didn’t seem to be working out."...she didn't "try" anything. she went insane literally seconds after winning the war. she had no gauge on how she would be accepted other than a bunch of northerners wanting to keep to themselves...which is their M.O.

it's a mess of an article, i thought. you can either accuse everyone of taking it too seriously and admit it's not making much sense, or you can be one of the miserable people burdened by expectation. you can't, however, make these silly attempts at rationalizing what's clearly a couple of guys who abandoned storytelling at some point over the last 3 years.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 pm

More or less, the story is being driven almost fully by Dany, Jon, Tyrion and Jamie. There really wasn't anything happening with the story beyond those four. Out of the five episodes so far, two were spent almost entirely on battle scenes and episode two was a nothing episode. There's just been so little effort spent on the actions those four took to drive the story to where it is. Jamie and Dany are just zigging and zagging all over the place. Jon and Tyrion really just wander around in the wake of the plot and seem to just be responding to stuff around them.

To me, they picked an ending and then just decided to fill the time to get there. They gave very little thought for an interesting way to get there.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm

who dies? who sits on the throne? What do you got?

Dead: Dany, Jon, Greyworm.

Throne: I keep going back and forth between Sonsa and Tyrion, but I think I'm going with Tyrion.

Also, Vegas has Bran as the favorite to sit on the throne...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri May 17, 2019 2:04 pm

The Waif