Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Game of Thrones Discussion

Postby meow » Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am

That’s gold, Jerry. Gold

Although I completely disagree

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 am

So something I really didn't realize until I read the recaps was that Varys was trying to poison Dany, which is why he had a little bird in the kitchen and was asking about if she was eating.

Also, her being hangry is definitely a reason for Dany's descent into madness, imo. :lol:
Jon should've given her his Snickers.

meow

Postby meow » Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 am

Yeah. Stupid old meow missed that too. Upon rewatch, it was quite obvious.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 am

I'm sure this doc will be great, but wtf is this poster?

meow

Postby meow » Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 am

I dig it

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm sure this doc will be great, but wtf is this poster?

It looks similar to some of the artwork that appears on the Wiki of Ice and Fire site.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 pm

after another night to digest this thing...this episode still kills the story as a whole for me. but i'll give it credit in that it was really well executed and was really compelling in ways that the winterfell battle wasn't whatsoever. i think if A) they changed cersei's death and B) they added some connective tissue to Dany going crazy, then we're in business...even though cleganebowl had zero stakes attached to it, tyrion is making himself someone who i'm rooting for to get killed, arya's character is a mess, jon was again completely neutered and the thousand little continuity issues. if they just fixed those 2 things, i'm giving the thumbs up on this episode. it was almost amazing. which makes is worse, in a way

meow

Postby meow » Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm

You are almost there, shmenguin. Keep taking steps to the sane side

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Tue May 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Lolz.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 pm

hilarious timing.

D&D star wars is up next after the skywalker saga

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-star- ... 1834749699

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 pm

after another night to digest this thing...this episode still kills the story as a whole for me. but i'll give it credit in that it was really well executed and was really compelling in ways that the winterfell battle wasn't whatsoever. i think if A) they changed cersei's death and B) they added some connective tissue to Dany going crazy, then we're in business...even though cleganebowl had zero stakes attached to it, tyrion is making himself someone who i'm rooting for to get killed, arya's character is a mess, jon was again completely neutered and the thousand little continuity issues. if they just fixed those 2 things, i'm giving the thumbs up on this episode. it was almost amazing. which makes is worse, in a way
Yeah, I think Varys' death last episode was the only one that served any purpose.

They've just been killing off characters for the sake of killing off characters. None of the deaths serve the plot. I mean, what the hell purpose did it serve to have Cersei and Jamie die that way?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Have never seen an entire episode of this show, but have been following things from a pop culture perspective. It seems that - for whatever reason - the level of 'give a sht' amongst the cast and crew seems to have cratered in the last two years. From haphazard storytelling to glaring continuity errors, the overwhelming impression I'm getting from fans of GOT is that everyone involved with making the show appears to have absolutely phoned it in.

All I see are John Howe and Alan Lee.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue May 14, 2019 1:48 pm

the overwhelming impression I'm getting from fans of GOT is that everyone involved with making the show appears to have absolutely phoned it in.
I think this stems largely from D&D curtailing the show the way they did. Clearly, there was enough material for another 10 episodes, at a minimum, but they must have grown bored with it and wanted to move on to other projects. As someone who writes, I understand that completely, but that decision really hurt the last 2 seasons of the show and the result will change the legacy of GOT into "One of the best dramas of all time" to "A pretty good series with a mediocre ending."

It's a shame because it could have been much, much more if it hadn't been so rushed.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 14, 2019 1:50 pm

I think this is all Martin's fault. He just gave up on ending the story and let the show writers turn Dany bad. Also, the whole Dany/Jon love story is so completely contrived it makes brain convulse. It was some kind of ridiculous "love at first sight" thing, between two people with the most impressive back stories in the show, and where neither of them are ever really introduced to the other, aside from Jon just wandering down there to beg for help. And his somehow prideful groveling was supposed to win over a queen.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Dany's arc was inevitable. The clues have always been there.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm

It seems odd to characterize a production that produced only 70-odd hours of story since 2011 as 'rushed' in any measure, especially considering much of the early going was adaptive as opposed to original. But.... it's not my jam.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 14, 2019 2:01 pm

I agree with that. I just meant that he left it up to them to tell that story, which was done in like three scenes.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 14, 2019 2:02 pm

I agree with that. I just meant that he left it up to them to tell that story, which was done in like three scenes.
Yeah, I think we all agree that the last two seasons were rushed, to say the least.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 14, 2019 2:04 pm

I do think, however, that Cersei's death was perfect and downright poetic.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 14, 2019 2:06 pm

hilarious timing.

I give them some credit for still wanting to do it. Star Wars fans are the absolute **** worst.
the overwhelming impression I'm getting from fans of GOT is that everyone involved with making the show appears to have absolutely phoned it in.
I think this stems largely from D&D curtailing the show the way they did. Clearly, there was enough material for another 10 episodes, at a minimum, but they must have grown bored with it and wanted to move on to other projects. As someone who writes, I understand that completely, but that decision really hurt the last 2 seasons of the show and the result will change the legacy of GOT into "One of the best dramas of all time" to "A pretty good series with a mediocre ending."

It's a shame because it could have been much, much more if it hadn't been so rushed.
I don't know if they grew bored with it or went full "we signed up to adapt the story, not finish the story", but either way television unfortunately does not offer the same "I'm tired of trying to finish this story, let's write fake world building history books and give pretend progress updates" leeway that writing the books does.
I think this is all Martin's fault. He just gave up on ending the story and let the show writers turn Dany bad.
Not that the books will ever be finished, but this is 100% Martin's move. GRRM told D&D three "holy **** moments" that he had planned: Shireen going extra crispy, Hodor, and one that would happen at the end. The path to getting there would be different and laid out better, but Dany becoming the big bad is that final moment. Edit: Saw your comments above and get your point better.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Tue May 14, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:07 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 pm

hilarious timing.

I give them so credit for still wanting to do it. Star Wars fans are the absolute **** worst.
Seriously. If they thought the backlash from GOT nerds has been rough, wait til they piss off Star Wars nerds. And it's so easy to piss them off, too, all you have to do is include a female character in a prominent role. Bonus points if she's not white. White male Star Wars hate not seeing themselves represented on screen in every single character.