Game of Thrones Discussion

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:23 pm

I do agree with others, I went from being content to have the show as canon to desperately wanting GRRM to release the books again.

Did anyone else see that interview with Ian McElenny (Barristan Selmy actor) saying that GRRM had finished both books but had an agreement with D&D not to release them until after the show was complete?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm

I do agree with others, I went from being content to have the show as canon to desperately wanting GRRM to release the books again.

Did anyone else see that interview with Ian McElenny (Barristan Selmy actor) saying that GRRM had finished both books but had an agreement with D&D not to release them until after the show was complete?
https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/ ... my_saying/

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm

That would be a brilliant move. I just don't see that being true. I'd actually go back and try to read the last one again (maybe)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:42 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/ ... my_saying/
I can't imagine the actor lying about something like that, but I also can't believe it's true :shrug:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Episode 3: Dany risks her life to help save all of Westeros from the Army of the Dead.
Episode 4: Dany is upset.
Episode 5: Dany massacres a half million men, women, and children
Episode 6: Dany is killed.

lol

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon May 13, 2019 12:50 pm

That would be a brilliant move. I just don't see that being true. I'd actually go back and try to read the last one again (maybe)
Really? When I brought it up a couple weeks ago I was told it was impossible, stupid, and ridiculous....

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Episode 3: Dany risks her life to help save all of Westeros from the Army of the Dead.
Episode 4: Dany is upset.
Episode 5: Dany massacres a half million men, women, and children
Episode 6: Dany is killed.

lol

Actions of someone who is...mad...wouldn’t you say??

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon May 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I don't believe for a minute that Dany would have gone to Westeros if she thought the north could defeat the Army of the Dead on their own. She went to save the rest of the realm because she wanted to rule them. If everyone's a deadite, there' no one around to feed her ego.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Really? When I brought it up a couple weeks ago I was told it was impossible, stupid, and ridiculous....
not sure man, don't remember saying anything about before this.

spoiler for books, do we do this?
Didn't all the "new" characters die in the last book anyway? I don't think Jon or the night watch was even in it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 pm

i wasn't completely sober last night on first view, so i skimmed through a couple scenes during lunch.

so...tyrion. hates his sister and wants to see his brother survive. so naturally he devises a plan for jaime to go on a suicide mission to rescue cersei. ****ing what? like for real?

cersei saying, "not like this" as she's about to die. well, how exactly, then? because this seems pretty optimal all things considered. nobody got the satisfaction of seeing it. she was with jaime. it was probably over quickly. i actually like jaime's arc here. he's a conflicted guy. he loves what he loves. but i had a vested interest in seeing cersei suffer. she needed a knife in her gut, while staring at the eyes of whoever did it. this was not sufficient.

but dany turning crazy like that. nuh uh. that's not how it works. there's a reason we didn't get a single closeup shot of dany during her freakout. it's because the only way to perform that scene is to look completely batshit crazy, laughing maniacally as your eyes start spinning around in their sockets like the Christopher Lloyd in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. She would have had to spend hours mowing down women and children. we're really supposed to buy that?

i like her arc. and i think this heel turn is a great way to end the series. but they didn't earn it. this blows more, now that i know there was an interesting story to be told. and they just skipped to the end. barf.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:09 pm

FUN FACT: Go back and watch Rhaegal get shot in the neck again. As he starts to fall to the water, have your volume up.

It is 100% someone drinking the remnants of a Coke through a McDonald's straw.

Seriously. Listen to it.
Not convinced that it was Coke. My money is on Fruitopia.
Nah, Dragonfruit

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Source of the post
but dany turning crazy like that. nuh uh. that's not how it works. there's a reason we didn't get a single closeup shot of dany during her freakout. it's because the only way to perform that scene is to look completely batshit crazy, laughing maniacally as your eyes start spinning around in their sockets like the Christopher Lloyd in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. She would have had to spend hours mowing down women and children. we're really supposed to buy that?
she's been talking about it since the beginning. Her advisors always stopped her. It's always been there, it's just like everything else this season being so rushed and onto the next thing that it didn't feel right even though those seeds have been planted since the beginning.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8RyKrRE ... u.be&t=244[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... NdSMv64pUY[/youtube]

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thron ... -eastwatch

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 pm

I thought this was a great writeup for the episode

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/05/13 ... -the-bells

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 pm

she's been talking about it since the beginning.
nope. she talked about the first part. where she would win the war by using her nuke. she didn't talk about slaughtering the entire city after the war was over. that was improv. she "yes and'ed" the **** out of that day.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Source of the post Nikolaj Coster-Waldau pretty much calls out the trash, rushed writing in a recent interview: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... -interview
“We’re used to having a whole season to get to a point. Now suddenly, a lot of things happen very quickly.” The actor says he has to fill in a lot of the details for himself: "Trying to connect the dots between the scenes was a little complicated because you invest so much time, so many years in these characters..."
this quote pretty much sums up every issue I've had with this season.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm

not sure man, don't remember saying anything about before this.

spoiler for books, do we do this?
Didn't all the "new" characters die in the last book anyway? I don't think Jon or the night watch was even in it.
You didn't. :lol:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 pm

And I believe the last book finished up right around when Jon "died". Feast for Crows was just the southern characters.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon May 13, 2019 1:36 pm

This

Now I'm back on the book train...

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon May 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Since they announced there would only be 6 episodes this season, you knew it would be rushed. Not saying it's right or wrong, but they have to wrap all this crap up in 6 hours. Wish it could have been a full season.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 pm

nope. she talked about the first part. where she would win the war by using her nuke. she didn't talk about slaughtering the entire city after the war was over. that was improv. she "yes and'ed" the **** out of that day.
in the clips above, she literally says
"When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!"
she has family issues and the people of KL never ended up fighting for her when she was told they were. She was already going off the deep end and she lost it sitting there looking at the keep that her family built.

Like I said, it's been coming, but the way they rushed to it didn't make it feel like how it was supposed to happen.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Since they announced there would only be 6 episodes this season, you knew it would be rushed. Not saying it's right or wrong, but they have to wrap all this crap up in 6 hours. Wish it could have been a full season.
Blame D&D. They stopped giving a sht about the show several years ago.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 13, 2019 1:47 pm

in the clips above, she literally says
"When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!"
she has family issues and the people of KL never ended up fighting for her when she was told they were. She was already going off the deep end and she lost it sitting there looking at the keep that her family built.

Like I said, it's been coming, but the way they rushed to it didn't make it feel like how it was supposed to happen.
she literally just did the worst thing that anyone has ever done during the entire course of human history. this was not the intent of her quote - and it certainly wasn't intentional foreshadowing. she legit had a psychotic break last night. there wasn't even any cause whatsoever for Varys or Tyrion to be worried about an incident like this. THAT'S how batshit it was.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 13, 2019 1:48 pm

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:52 pm

agree. I think most people have made completely valid arguments and a lot of these issues were discussing comes from the simple fact that they are rushing and getting to the point because of this. not ideal, but that's what it is.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 13, 2019 1:59 pm

I thought this was a great writeup for the episode

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/05/13 ... -the-bells
There was definitely a satisfying conclusion to the story of Euron Greyjoy
this is emblematic of the article as a whole.

2/10. would not read again.