Game of Thrones Discussion

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Source of the post you noping out of this isn't the gotcha that you think it is.
Nah man I'm not trying to gotcha. I just don't need to get into it with you (or anybody) again over a TV show.
What’s the point of this thread then?

I don’t really understand why everyone is so touchy about being challenged. This is pretty low stakes stuff. I can’t really imagine getting pissed or exhausted by this or whatever is making you guys so sensitive over the last 8 days.

Defending your POV isn’t something you’re interested in? Too much work or you can’t articulate beyond “people complain too much”? Did you just want to come here for high 5’s? This discussion isn’t that unpleasant. It’s just...discussion.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon May 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Nobody is pissed. I'm all for discussion. It's the name calling I'm not that into. We were just discussing last time as well before you resorted to the name calling. So, if that's what it's devolving to again, I'm all done. I wouldn't be opposed to high 5's.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 12:08 pm

i think i was called a whiny dodint at one point. i don't recall other name calling.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm

It's nitpicking for nitpicking sake.
not exactly, but close enough.
Same thing as the "Dany would've seen Euron's fleet!" or "Why didn't she fly above the clouds again?!"
#whiteknight. sorry - you're not close on this. these are 2 very fair questions since euron's ability to take down a dragon is dependent on 2 extremely stupid and improbable writing choices. this, folks, is what they call (and say it with me) plot armor. worn by euron. to ensure that he lives and the dragon dies. they did not write a reasonable way to kill dragons. hiding behind a rock and hoping that the wind bends your arrows like i hit golf balls is clown town. it was completely a "we don't know how to stage this. so here's this stupid thing instead" moment.
I'll disgree.

They established last year that the balista bolts could at least injure dragons, as Drogon was injured by one in the battle over the Highgarden loot train. I'd also have to double-check because it's a deeper dive into book lore but I think in the World of Fire & Ice, it was shown in Westerosi/Targaryen history that similar weapons brought down dragons.

If your issue is with the execution of it, I guess I can kind of see the complaint, though what would you have preferred to see? I suppose they could have set something up in advance actually showing Euron planting the ships there to spring the ambush (think Return of the Jedi when we see Palpatine tell Vader to take their fleet to the other side of the sanctuary moon), but you still get the same end with tension build-up rather than the shock of the bolt coming out of nowhere.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 12:22 pm

It's nitpicking for nitpicking sake.
not exactly, but close enough.
Same thing as the "Dany would've seen Euron's fleet!" or "Why didn't she fly above the clouds again?!"
#whiteknight. sorry - you're not close on this. these are 2 very fair questions since euron's ability to take down a dragon is dependent on 2 extremely stupid and improbable writing choices. this, folks, is what they call (and say it with me) plot armor. worn by euron. to ensure that he lives and the dragon dies. they did not write a reasonable way to kill dragons. hiding behind a rock and hoping that the wind bends your arrows like i hit golf balls is clown town. it was completely a "we don't know how to stage this. so here's this stupid thing instead" moment.
I'll disgree.

They established last year that the balista bolts could at least injure dragons, as Drogon was injured by one in the battle over the Highgarden loot train. I'd also have to double-check because it's a deeper dive into book lore but I think in the World of Fire & Ice, it was shown in Westerosi/Targaryen history that similar weapons brought down dragons.

If your issue is with the execution of it, I guess I can kind of see the complaint, though what would you have preferred to see? I suppose they could have set something up in advance actually showing Euron planting the ships there to spring the ambush (think Return of the Jedi when we see Palpatine tell Vader to take their fleet to the other side of the sanctuary moon), but you still get the same end with tension build-up rather than the shock of the bolt coming out of nowhere.
i think the balista is a completely legitimate weapon against dragons, and actually highlights a flaw in the source material. so it's a win for the show, IMO. "bigger arrows" should have been a tactic employed during the old days - it doesn't seem like this would be new technology or anything.

the issue at hand is that Dany and the generals already knew about balista bolts, and would have been careful to avoid them. so rightfully, the show orchestrated a sneak attack instead. but the entire fleet was hidden behind a rock. you have to pick one or the other here:

a) hide behind large obstacle
b) make direct contact, killing a dragon

you can't have both. so go back to the drawing board and find a better way to play this out. because they literally bent that arrow at something like a 100 degree angle.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:27 pm

With Missandei dying, and Dany (who has been lauded by feminists as a STRONG, INDEPENDENT WOMAN THAT DON'T NEED NO MAN) starting to unravel, I had a feeling that the SJW TV viewing population (and yes, they are vocal) would be irate over Dany starting to be portrayed as heading down a bad path, especially when you already have Cersei as evil. So that isn't unexpected.

Also, TIL I learned what "Fridging" is too...that TV Tropes site is annoying.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 pm

The writing has gotten objectively worse as the series has gone on, but that doesn't mean I don't still enjoy the sht out of it. I do find myself rolling my eyes more but all-in-all it is still wildly entertaining. And I really have no idea which way next week is going to go, outside of CleganeBowl.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm

CleganeBowl.
I want this so damn bad.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:55 pm

I thought that it was weird that the negotiating party was standing in a huge desert-looking area outside of the King's Landing gate...I didn't think there was ever an indication that KL was surrounded or bordered by any kind of desert. Sure enough...
I had the same reaction when I saw the gigantic cliff that was like a mile high that Dany and Jon were on at the start of the Battle of Winterfell. Where the F did that come from?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon May 06, 2019 12:57 pm

I thought that it was weird that the negotiating party was standing in a huge desert-looking area outside of the King's Landing gate...I didn't think there was ever an indication that KL was surrounded or bordered by any kind of desert. Sure enough...
I had the same reaction when I saw the gigantic cliff that was like a mile high that Dany and Jon were on at the start of the Battle of Winterfell. Where the F did that come from?
Maybe some kind of outer castle as part of perimeter fortifications? Agree its weird because it looked like Dorne.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Maybe some kind of outer castle as part of perimeter fortifications? Agree its weird because it looked like Dorne.
the dragon pits last year didn't exactly fit the KL aesthetic either.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 pm

One of my friends is complaining about people complaining about how dark and hard to follow the action is in this season. He says it's a TV calibration issue. Which, for a mass medium like television, is an absurd position.

I'll leave you you to your thread now.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 pm

One of my friends is complaining about people complaining about how dark and hard to follow the action is in this season. He says it's a TV calibration issue. Which, for a mass medium like television, is an absurd position.

I'll leave you you to your thread now.
I argued that last week as well. I will say that thanks to suggestions in this thread, I watched last night's episode on HBO Go rather than through DirecTV and it looked MUCH better.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 1:13 pm

One of my friends is complaining about people complaining about how dark and hard to follow the action is in this season. He says it's a TV calibration issue.
the cinematographer for the episode (or whoever is responsible for the aesthetic) also went on record with this take. wild times.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm

I believe the "desert", coupled with a Pittsburgh feeling sky all grey and drab, is supposed to be a result of winter coming. At least that's how I explained it to myself. But that picture...oof. doesn't look like there's a place like that. Unless they removed all the trees for the wood to make war preparations. Even then it wouldn't look like that.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 06, 2019 2:01 pm

I believe the "desert", coupled with a Pittsburgh feeling sky all grey and drab, is supposed to be a result of winter coming. At least that's how I explained it to myself. But that picture...oof. doesn't look like there's a place like that. Unless they removed all the trees for the wood to make war preparations. Even then it wouldn't look like that.
I just assumed that for budgetary issues they just had to reuse parts of the Qarth set.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 2:03 pm

TV logic is ok here, IMO.

The location they picked for KL is spectacular. But it’s also not adjacent to anywhere where a big open field meet up could happen. So id rather they give us this brief confused setting than throw the baby out with the bath water and pick a more versatile (but less awesome) KL.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Mon May 06, 2019 2:06 pm

I knew something seemed off when I saw a big open field in front of KL. Thought it was just a perspective we never got to see until now.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Stuff like this is why I generally dislike RLM, CinemaSins, Honest Trailers, etc. Creating something is extremely difficult and every work of fiction can be considered in some way flawed or reliant on tropes, which like stereotypes tend to exist for a reason. It's pretty easy to **** on other people's work after the fact.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon May 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Stuff like this is why I generally dislike RLM, CinemaSins, Honest Trailers, etc. Creating something is extremely difficult and every work of fiction can be considered in some way flawed or reliant on tropes, which like stereotypes tend to exist for a reason. It's pretty easy to **** on other people's work after the fact.
:thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:25 pm

I distinctly remember a website dedicated to every error in Saving Private Ryan, way back in 1998. I think it was hosted on Geocities or some such. But at any rate, fans suck the life out of a lot of what makes creative arts entertaining. Also worth remembering that fan(s) is derived from fanatic, which has a different connotation.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon May 06, 2019 3:03 pm

My biggest question re: last night's episode: Why didn't Jon let his direwolf stay with Sansa?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 pm

My biggest question re: last night's episode: Why didn't Jon let his direwolf stay with Sansa?
He couldn't even give the goodest doggo a pat on the head. He's the worst.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon May 06, 2019 3:18 pm

They didn't have any more money to spend on token appearances.