Game of Thrones Discussion

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sun May 05, 2019 11:03 am

This is where not having the books completed and just having a rough outline hurts. I think in particular, Tyrion and Varys have suffered greatly, especially the latter. Varys has been more or less completely useless since the end of Season 6 (that was when he teleported back and forth across the sea to set up alliances with Dorne and Highgarden right?) and Tyrion is a far cry from his earlier witty self.

There is also the issue that certain characters have a specific purpose for still being alive, but being a tv show, you can't just leave them out for 3 episodes until it's time for that whereas in the books, a character can vanish for multiple chapters without raising an eyebrow, particularly because of the POV style... you can just have those characters not be around the POV charater.

This also means that the "anyone can die at any time" has been lost, which certainly hurts... but I don't see the books being any different in those regards. At some point, you have to bring the story back together and bring it to a conclusion, and characters just aren't as expendable while still maintaining the story.

All that said, the scope of what they are attempting to do and still delivering a product that so many people are tuning in to see (or pirating) is quite impressive.

If the books had been finished up front, they probably could have planned things out a bit better... left certain story lines out or not dragged their feet as much on others while now plowing through one plot after another at the speed of light... but it is what it is.

I still enjoy the show and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. Some people will dodint about anything and everything... that is the nature of the internets.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 05, 2019 11:38 am

This is where not having the books completed and just having a rough outline hurts. I think in particular, Tyrion and Varys have suffered greatly, especially the latter. Varys has been more or less completely useless since the end of Season 6 (that was when he teleported back and forth across the sea to set up alliances with Dorne and Highgarden right?) and Tyrion is a far cry from his earlier witty self.

There is also the issue that certain characters have a specific purpose for still being alive, but being a tv show, you can't just leave them out for 3 episodes until it's time for that whereas in the books, a character can vanish for multiple chapters without raising an eyebrow, particularly because of the POV style... you can just have those characters not be around the POV charater.

This also means that the "anyone can die at any time" has been lost, which certainly hurts... but I don't see the books being any different in those regards. At some point, you have to bring the story back together and bring it to a conclusion, and characters just aren't as expendable while still maintaining the story.

All that said, the scope of what they are attempting to do and still delivering a product that so many people are tuning in to see (or pirating) is quite impressive.

If the books had been finished up front, they probably could have planned things out a bit better... left certain story lines out or not dragged their feet as much on others while now plowing through one plot after another at the speed of light... but it is what it is.

I still enjoy the show and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. Some people will dodint about anything and everything... that is the nature of the internets.
That last line undercuts your point. Casting the complaints as frivolous just shows that you aren’t interested in understanding their nature.

This episode was explicitly described by D&D as being constructed for effect and for spectacle. It’s objectively unthoughtful - and this is a conceit by the creators.

All the dodinting that’s going on is surrounding this exact point. People came to a degree of peace with the situation they were dealt. That’s why season 7’s arc gets a bit of a pass. But there really isn’t any reason for several key decisions last week beyond “looks cool and is surprising”. You can find literally dozens of superior paths of execution on Reddit right now. They weren’t painted into a corner when they chose to dispatch the Dothraki just so they could have that one shot. Or how they wanted a cool looking formation, so they arranged all their chess pieces backwards. And why they decided to make all the main characters overcome by wights - only to be saved by camera cuts was entirely just for cheap thrills. And why Jon and Dany had no impact on the result whatsoever isn’t one of these GRRM induced quagmires.

Not sure what you’re really referring to. Maybe you saw some really pedantic stuff online by a few stray complainers. But chalking the backlash up to typical internet outrage is tone deaf, imo.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 05, 2019 1:23 pm

After a couple of years reading the books and catching up on the show I am live and can read this thread. LFG

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun May 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Not sure what you’re really referring to. Maybe you saw some really pedantic stuff online by a few stray complainers. But chalking the backlash up to typical internet outrage is tone deaf, imo.
I think everyone understands why people are complaining. The writing is no where near the quality of the early seasons and that's in every regard - plotting, characterization, dialogue, believably, etc. The show has become more "spectacle" oriented the last few seasons and the show suffers as a result.

That said, you (general you) either have to accept it for what it is or watching the final episodes is going to do nothing but piss you off. I reached that point with The Walking Dead. And I stopped watching rather than subject myself to a series where I did nothing but nitpick and find fault in virtually everything I saw. Life's too short. There are plenty of other sources of entertainment than one particular show.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 pm

I think everyone understands why people are complaining. The writing is no where near the quality of the early seasons and that's in every regard - plotting, characterization, dialogue, believably, etc. The show has become more "spectacle" oriented the last few seasons and the show suffers as a result.

That said, you (general you) either have to accept it for what it is or watching the final episodes is going to do nothing but piss you off. I reached that point with The Walking Dead. And I stopped watching rather than subject myself to a series where I did nothing but nitpick and find fault in virtually everything I saw. Life's too short. There are plenty of other sources of entertainment than one particular show.
This is my point at the end of the day. I did the same thing with TWD. I was happier for it, and I'm sure everyone else was too.

This show is pretty far from perfect, but I choose to not get caught up in everything I can find wrong with it and enjoy the show.

Others choose differently. Oh well.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 pm

There’s 3 episodes left out of 73. I think “watch the shitshow through gritted teeth and hope they don’t **** the remainder up” is a pretty reasonable option for people who have read thousands of pages and watched 80 hours of content.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun May 05, 2019 7:30 pm

There’s 3 episodes left out of 73. I think “watch the shitshow through gritted teeth and hope they don’t **** the remainder up” is a pretty reasonable option for people who have read thousands of pages and watched 80 hours of content.
I don't blame you for sticking it out. But at this point, it's not too realistic to expect the ship to be righted.

I do think this season has been better than last. If you could get through that asinine sequence where Snow & company try to kidnap a deadite and get rescued twice from the brink of death, both times being 100% unbelievable, you should be able to get through anything.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun May 05, 2019 7:34 pm

I'm looking forward to tonights episode, hopefully it's a good talkie one. Mother of dragons said ep 5 is the craziest of the season.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:57 pm

I have a feeling the rest of the series is going to be very formulaic. Dany agrees to go-rule with Jon. Jaime kills Cersei. Arya kills Qyburn. Hound kills Mountain. Etc

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Tyrion kills Cersei. He said so.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Dany agreeing to co rule with anyone is as asinine as thinking the books are finished (or so I'm told)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun May 05, 2019 8:24 pm

I still expect Dany to go insane. In her brief interactions with other characters this season she’s come off as very power hungry.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Beric and Jorah both die in the arms of Arya and Dany respectively, with no final words.

Just an observation.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sun May 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Beric and Jorah both die in the arms of Arya and Dany respectively, with no final words.

Just an observation.
Um....

I'm assuming you mean "died"...

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 pm

And Theon too for that matter.

Don’t get all technical on me now PFiDC!

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:52 pm

I stand by my statement that Arya became the wind before reaching the Night King.

That’s some ****!

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Varys heel turn incoming

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:35 pm

The numbers are..... "even", now? Come on

Also, Jon is totally going the Ned Stark route. It won't end well.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 05, 2019 10:07 pm

Eff Euron

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 05, 2019 10:08 pm

It took me a while and Google to understand the Asha/Yarra thing

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun May 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Holy **** what an episode.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Gut wrenching indeed.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Dany is about to lose her sht.

How do the good guys win? Golden Company turning?

More dragons?!

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Cersei is the best.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Holy **** what an episode.
Agreed. Great job setting up next week.

The tension is insane. Then you still have Bronn lurking around. Yeesh.