Game of Thrones Discussion

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:03 pm

:lol:

@dickie dunn brought up a great point, I really liked seeing the layout of Winterfell because it was impossible up until now to really get an idea for how the castle was laid out. For example, I thought that the heartwood tree was outside the castle walls, somewhere out in the woods. I didn't realize it was basically an extension of the fortified area.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 pm

:lol:

@dickie dunn brought up a great point, I really liked seeing the layout of Winterfell because it was impossible up until now to really get an idea for how the castle was laid out. For example, I thought that the heartwood tree was outside the castle walls, somewhere out in the woods. I didn't realize it was basically an extension of the fortified area.
Dude, that's probably the first thing I noticed. All this time I thought they were hiking their ass out beyond the castle walls to get to that tree.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Sansa made a snow castle version of it in season 4 that showed the tree inside the walls...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm

I have also enjoyed the ongoing saga of this extra. Pretty cool gig :lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Is that Kurtwood Smith?

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:34 pm

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Everyone on this show is deeply flawed and unlikable

I think that's the point
Tormund and Brienne.

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Everyone on this show is deeply flawed and unlikable

I think that's the point
Tormund and Brienne.
Everyone other than those two

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Maybe I missed something last night with this, but when Theon got his sister and then they cut to another scene with them and 2 other ships, how did they get away from the fleet? Wasn't the fleet there with the golden company?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Maybe I missed something last night with this, but when Theon got his sister and then they cut to another scene with them and 2 other ships, how did they get away from the fleet? Wasn't the fleet there with the golden company?
That was definitely a conveniently easy rescue. Why even have Euron capture Yara if that's the payoff?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 pm

That was definitely a conveniently easy rescue. Why even have Euron capture Yara if that's the payoff?
Because he needed someone to talk to.

obhave

Postby obhave » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm

I actually liked Sam and Jon's interaction.

And #teamsansa

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

I actually liked Sam and Jon's interaction.

And #teamsansa
I forgot about this debate from a few years ago :lol:

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Interesting theory I just saw...
If only Targaryens can ride dragons, the Night King was/is a Targaryen.

Or do Zombie dragons not follow that rule?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Interesting theory, but I don't see the show fleshing out the Night King's character much more.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Interesting theory, but I don't see the show fleshing out the Night King's character much more.
I don’t know if I saw it here or elsewhere, but Targaryen aren’t the only dragon riders. Non-Targ dragon riders participated in a Targaryen civil war or some ****.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Bullshit Snow hopping on the dragon because short season. No bonding, just Dany telling him he’ll get laid.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:26 am

I don’t know if I saw it here or elsewhere, but Targaryen aren’t the only dragon riders. Non-Targ dragon riders participated in a Targaryen civil war or some ****.
Correct. There were several other Valyrian families that rode dragons. Velaryons chief among them.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:47 am

Some thoughts...

1. The rings in the astrolabe were noticeably different in the opening credits. At first, I thought these were callbacks to previous events/lore. I thought the first may have been the dragons burning Slavers Bay or possibly the caravan from Highgarden last season. The second seemed like an obvious homage to the Red Wedding. The last I thought was some sort reference to the red comet in the sky and the birth of Dany's dragons.

Some are now saying these are actually foreshadowing future events. If you look closely at them, the first shows the dragons attacking what may be buildings; some are saying this is an eventual attack on Kings Landing. The second may foreshadow the fate of House Stark as it doesn't depict the Red Wedding, but rather the Starks surrounded by their two current threats - the lion is Cersei and the figure is a white walker. If so, not good. The last - which seems to feature three small dragons and one large dragon - may confirm the legend that there is a dragon or dragon eggs hidden in or below the crypts of Winterfell (or elsewhere), and the three we've seen so far won't be the only dragons we see before this wraps up.

2. Liked the reunions, though this is also why I wished the last two seasons had each been 10 episodes instead of the abbreviated 7 last year and 6 this year. Most of those reunions deserved more time than they got.

3. Noticed on the second watch that Lord Umber's eyes turn blue and he moves very slightly just before the jump scare. Would've been good to have seen that on the first watch because even though I knew something was coming, I was still pretty much peeling myself off my ceiling after hearing that shriek.

4. Have a feeling Dany's continued insistence on this "bend the knee" garbage is going to prove to be her undoing. I would have thought after seeing the army of the dead for herself, losing a dragon, AND finding out that Viserion is the Night King's shiny new nuclear weapon, it would have sunk in to her that side-eye looks from Sansa can be set aside until we make sure everyone comes out of this alive. Apparently not.

Dany's character is written as stubborn with a fair degree of hubris, and I'm starting to think she'll never be able to differentiate between conqueror and ruler, regardless of the stakes. While I thought Cersei was more inclined to go full Mad Queen given that she has nothing else to lose, I'm more convinced after last week's episode and what may come of the encounter with Jamie that it could be Dany.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 am

Bullshit Snow hopping on the dragon because short season. No bonding, just Dany telling him he’ll get laid.
You’re right. Jon should have taken him out for a nice seafood dinner.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:19 am

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want or need 5 episodes of Jon attempting to climb on a dragon and falling off. Anyway, he's a Targaryen, and it's more about the dragon accepting him than anything else.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 am

Don't feel like attempting to quote on phone so @Stoosh

In regards to Dany, that is a good point. She's unlikely to change if she hasn't already. Wonder when Jon, er Aegon, will break the news to her.

I feel like Jon won't want to be King, but Dany isnt likely to enjoy her new beau being a contender...

And the army of the dead is coming...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 pm

Yeah, the "bend the knee" stuff is tiresome.

I was actually surprised how many people didn't see Little Lord Umber's eyes turn blue. I was downstairs in my basement watching it on our 70 inch, but I guess if I hadn't been looking past Tormund I would have never noticed it either. It kind of ruined the jump scare a bit for me.

One thing's for sure, the crypts of Winterfell are going to be a MAJOR location player in the next few episodes. It will be interesting to see what happens down there.

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I'll be real disappointed if Dany's character doesn't evolve and if she has to die

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want or need 5 episodes of Jon attempting to climb on a dragon and falling off. Anyway, he's a Targaryen, and it's more about the dragon accepting him than anything else.
Same. I'm stealing this from a podcast that discussed concerns with the brevity some things are given. They used the Theon/Arya rescue as an example, but they made the following points.

- Would it have been nice to see some more to that - namely, how did they get there? How did they get away? Sure, I guess.

- That said, had they added more, we would have likely only seen something in terms of length/content along the lines of Yara's first attempt to rescue Theon from Ramsey Bolton, or the battle last season when Euron kidnapped Yara. It would have been 7-8 minutes of the episode rather than 4-5 it felt like the rescue ran (not sure if that's accurate but you get the point), and it wouldn't have added much materially to the story or episode.

- At the end of the day, what we saw was what was materially important about the sequence: Yara was alive, they rescued her, she's heading home to the Iron Islands to provide a potential sanctuary for the Northerners if/when they lose Winterfell, and Euron now has a potential strike against him with Cersei for losing Yara. It also added to Theon's arc - he reinforces his identity as a Greyjoy by getting her back, and now she recognizes why helping the Starks is important to him. No real need for more than that.

I wish we had more time/more episodes so that some of the better parts of the character development and world building that we saw in the first 5-6 seasons could continue. To that end, we also saw how that can go when they did have time (DORNE), and this in the writers' defense, this isn't exclusive to the show; A Clash of Kings was an absolute slog compared to the first three books, and the story itself was always said to be ridiculously difficult to adapt to a show.

I'd love to see more built with these characters, but they still have room for a lot of it. All the major players are really where they need to be, and we know there are only two major conflicts left - the North vs. Cersei and ultimately, the living vs. the dead, with no real idea what happens during/after the battle of Winterfell. They've still got just over 6+ hours in these five remaining episodes - three of which we know little to nothing about - to flesh out the battles and the rest of the story.