Science and Technology Thread

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:01 pm

What are you doing, science?

https://www.livescience.com/amp/first-m ... china.html
A team of researchers generated the pig-primate creatures by injecting monkey stem cells into fertilized pig embryos and then implanting them into surrogate sows, according to a piece by New Scientist. Two of the resulting piglets developed into interspecies animals known as chimeras, meaning that they contained DNA from two distinct individuals — in this case, a pig and a monkey.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 pm

:lol: My first thought, as well.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Not as cool as the spider goats

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:18 pm

I was reading something today about the Steamboat Geyser at Yellowstone erupting at record levels, and found my way to this column that I thought was a pretty interesting read. Definitely was news to me, as I thought Yellowstone was the biggest volcanic threat in the US.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ro ... ll-us-all/
The overall threat score is determined by multiplying the sum of the hazard factors by the sum of the exposure factors. The top three volcanoes, in order, are Kilauea (Hawaii), Mount St. Helens (Washington), and Mount Rainier (Washington). A general categorization was also introduced – "very high threat," "high threat," "moderate threat," "low threat," and "very low threat."In 2005, Yellowstone was ranked #21 in the threat assessment.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Considering Yellowstone only erupts every 150,000 years or so, it's not much of a threat. When it does blow though...look out.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:32 pm

Just saw this today. The level of individual information you can get access to these days is mind-blowing!

The Contribution of High-Skilled Immigrants to
Innovation in the United States

Shai Bernstein, Rebecca Diamond, Timothy McQuade and Beatriz Pousada⇤
January 22, 2020

Abstract
We characterize the contribution of immigrants to US innovation, both through their direct
productivity as well as through their indirect spillover effects on their native collaborators. To
do so, we link patent records to a database containing the first five digits of more than 230
million of Social Security Numbers (SSN). By combining this part of the SSN together with
year of birth, we identify whether individuals are immigrants based on the age at which their
Social Security Number is assigned. We find that over the course of their careers, immigrants
are more productive than natives, as measured by number of patents, patent citations, and
the economic value of these patents. Immigrant inventors are more likely to rely on foreign
technologies, to collaborate with foreign inventors, and to be cited in foreign markets, thus
contributing to the importation and diffusion of ideas across borders. Using an identification
strategy that exploits premature inventor deaths, we find that immigrants collaborators create
especially strong positive externalities on the innovation production of their collaborators, while
natives have a much weaker impact. We identify a key mechanism driving these differences:
unique knowledge backgrounds of immigrants. A simple decomposition of aggregate innovation
since 1976 illustrates the disproportionate contribution of immigrants, and the importance of
indirect spillover effects between immigrants and natives.

⇤Shai Bernstein is with Stanford University GSB, and NBER, Rebecca Diamond is with Stanford University GSB,
and NBER, Timothy McQuade is with Stanford University GSB, and Beatriz Pousada is with Stanford University.
The authors have obtained IRB approval from Stanford University before conducting the analysis.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Please post this in the PDT.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Please post this in the PDT.
What's PDT?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 pm

The shitshow politics thread.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:58 am

Science! :)

Brains or beauty? Causal evidence on the returns to education and attractiveness in the online dating market

Abstract

We study partner preferences for education and attractiveness by conducting a field experiment in a large online dating market. Fictitious profiles with manipulated levels of education and photo attractiveness send random invitations for a serious relationship to real online daters. We find that men and women prefer attractive over unattractive profiles, regardless of own attractiveness. We also find that high-educated men prefer low-educated over high-educated profiles as much as high-educated women prefer high-educated over low-educated profiles. With preferences similar for attractiveness but opposite for education, two groups are more likely to stay single: unattractive, low-educated men and unattractive, high-educated women.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2721000086

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 am

Science! :D

Nose size indicates maximum penile length

Hiroshi Ikegaya, Motofumi Suzuki, Hiroki Kondou, Taketo Kawai, Yusuke Sato, Tadaichi Kitamura & Haruki Kume

Basic and Clinical Andrology volume 31, Article number: 3 (2021) Cite this article

14k Accesses

253 Altmetric

Abstract
Background
In a previous report, we investigated whether the size of male genitalia similarly exposed to serum testosterone during aging could change with age and found that penile length almost stopped increasing during adolescence and decreased in older males. In this report, to determine what factors other than age are related to penile length, we performed a multivariate analysis of the relationships between stretched penile length (SPL) and other measurements of genital organs, nose size, height and body weight in 126 adults in their 30s–50s.

Results
The most highly correlated factor with SPL was flaccid penile length (r = 0.565, P < 0.0001). The next highest correlation was nose size (r = 0.564, P < 0.0001). The penile stretched rate correlated with FPL (r = − 0.690, P < 0.0001) but not with SPL or penile circumference.

Conclusions
The fact that nose size is related to SPL indicates that penile length may not be determined by age, height or body weight but has already been determined before birth.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/04/snout-clo ... tudy-says/

https://bacandrology.biomedcentral.com/ ... 21-00121-z

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 am

Really nice video... I know it focuses on COVID-19, but it's a good message for most of science and technology.

My company recently asked that I put together a once a month presentation about one of our customers... who they are, what they do, how we help their measurements and what that means to the rest of the world. A lot of the areas that I speak on are outside of my area of expertise, and I try my hardest to stay accurate yet keep it fun. It's difficult to do correctly.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:51 pm

That's an interesting watch. The "I F**KING LOVE SCIENCE" people are largely annoying, and the ironic thing is that so much of that stuff that is shared is filled with inaccuracies. I genuinely love the sciences and try to be as well-read as possible, but you can do that without being obnoxious about it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 11, 2021 1:24 pm

The problem is that people spend lifetimes... literally their entire life studying one particular thing. And it's not as though that one thing is super broad like chemistry or biology. Nor is it a sub category of that broad thing like organic chemistry or nano chemistry. It's a subset within a subset of a thing. And when they publish their incredible findings, it gets released in a press release if it has a potential coolness factor. Then that press release is read by someone who publishes their own article. That article is then read by the folks at "I F**CKING LOVE SCIENCE" who make their own thing, and it's like that game of telephone back in kindergarten. Things get twisted and changed each time along the communication line.

As an example... a lab mate of mine in grad school discovered diamond nanothreads. Here's my PhD advisor talking about them:

It went from "these are light and strong" to articles like this:

https://www.cnet.com/news/new-diamond-n ... a-reality/

They even quote John in the article:
"One of our wildest dreams for the nanomaterials we are developing is that they could be used to make the super-strong, lightweight cables that would make possible the construction of a 'space elevator' which so far has existed only as a science-fiction idea," Badding said.
How did it go from "One of our wildest dreams" to "may make it a reality"?

Even one of the most popular science presenters on youtube, Kurzgesagt - In a Nutshell, mentions them in one of his presentation (~3:30 mark):

Luckily, Kurzgesagt spends a good amount of time explaining the issues involved with making a space elevator.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Really nice video... I know it focuses on COVID-19, but it's a good message for most of science and technology.

My company recently asked that I put together a once a month presentation about one of our customers... who they are, what they do, how we help their measurements and what that means to the rest of the world. A lot of the areas that I speak on are outside of my area of expertise, and I try my hardest to stay accurate yet keep it fun. It's difficult to do correctly.

Welcome to my life!! :D

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

Explains where all those imminent cures for cancer went.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 11, 2021 4:00 pm

Explains where all those imminent cures for cancer went.
100%... not only that, but as was stated in the video, it was the problem with COVID news. People were interested in the pandemic so it got clicks, but most of it was just false. See: HCQ

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu May 20, 2021 6:47 pm

Science!! :D
The Value of a Slender Spouse: Couples Agree that Keeping the Wife Svelte is more Valuable than Keeping the Husband Fit -- by Kristjana Baldursdottir, Paul McNamee, Edward C. Norton, Tinna Laufey Asgeirsdóttir

According to the World Health Organization, obesity is one of the greatest public-health challenges of the 21st century. Body weight is also known to affect individuals’ self-esteem and interpersonal relationships, including romantic ones. We estimate “utility-maximizing” Body Mass Index (BMI) and calculate the implied monetary value of changes in both individual and spousal BMI, using the compensating income variation method and data from the Swiss Household Panel. Two-stage least squares models are estimated for women and men separately, with mother’s education as an instrument to account for the potential endogeneity in income. Results suggest that the optimal own BMI is 27.4 and 22.7 for men and women, respectively. The annual value of reaching optimal weight ranges from $3,235 for underweight women to $32,378 for obese women and from $19,088 for underweight men to $43,175 for obese men. Women on average value changes in their own BMI about three times higher than changes in their spouse’s BMI. Men, on the other hand, value a reduction in their spouse’s BMI almost twice as much compared to a reduction in their own BMI. Married couples therefore agree on one thing, that keeping the wife svelte is even more valuable than keeping the husband fit.
in just a few days after posting morphed into:
LIFE SATISFACTION AND BODY MASS INDEX:ESTIMATING THE MONETARY VALUE OF ACHIEVING OPTIMAL BODY WEIGHTKristjana BaldursdottirPaul McNameeEdward C. NortonTinna Laufey AsgeirsdóttirWorking Paper 28791http://www.nber.org/papers/w28791NATIONAL BUREAU OF ECONOMIC RESEARCH1050 Massachusetts AvenueCambridge, MA 02138May 2021A previous version of this paper circulated under another title. The authors apologize for the insensitivityof the earlier title to concerns associated with body weight, gender, and related issues.

According to the World Health Organization, obesity is one of the greatest public-health challengesof the 21st century. Body weight is also known to affect individuals’ self-esteem and interpersonalrelationships, including romantic ones. We estimate “utility-maximizing” Body Mass Index (BMI)and calculate the implied monetary value of changes in both individual and spousal BMI, using thecompensating income variation method and data from the Swiss Household Panel. Two-stage leastsquares models are estimated for women and men separately, with mother’s education as an instrumentto account for the potential endogeneity in income. Results suggest that the optimal own BMI is 27.4and 22.7 for men and women, respectively. The annual value of reaching optimal weight ranges from$3,235 for underweight women to $32,378 for obese women and from $19,088 for underweight mento $43,175 for obese men. Women on average value changes in their own BMI about three times higherthan changes in their spouse’s BMI. Men, on the other hand, value a reduction in their spouse’s BMIalmost twice as much compared to a reduction in their own BMI.
https://www.nber.org/papers/w28791.pdf

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri May 21, 2021 7:22 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:31 am

Guess they gave up on their covid vaccine.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri May 21, 2021 4:29 pm

They did. IIRC, early Phase 1 tests showed that the Pitt candidate vaccine wouldn't be very effective, so they dropped it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:08 am

Made for some super useful b-roll and repetitive news stories for local news, though. Channel 4 talked about the Pitt vaccine every single night for months.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:27 pm

I love Kurzgesagt - In a Nutshell.... cool video today:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 am

Couldn't figure out the best place to put this, but this is great stuff from Woz