Colossal TV Show thread

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:02 am

Watched curb again, that has to be a top 10 episode. I laughed myself to sleep last night thinking about it.
Larry and the MAGA hat was brilliant.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:02 am

Aaron Hernandez series on Netflix is pretty good. Just watched one episode so far, but interesting.
Pouncey Bros show up in episode two. Not a good look for either of them. :lol:
I'm about midway through the second episode. Those two dinguses come off exactly as I expected them to. I think it's been very well done so far. I like that they've incorporated stuff about the general horrors of football, like lining up 18 year olds for their pregame Toradol injection. What a real "worst case scenario" life turned out to be for Hernandez. I'm sure wherever he ended up there would have been some discipline issues and maybe some legal issues, but being drafted by the Patriots put him in the absolute worst place for him to be.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:25 am

Altered Carbon is back February 27.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Finally. I hope that goofy looking **** is as good as the last guy.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:46 pm

Nice, didn't know it was coming back for another season. The first season consists of the best 4K HDR reference streaming I've ever seen.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Spangler » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:57 pm

I binged all 3 seasons of GLOW over the past week. Really good with a great cast who have good chemistry with one another. However, the last 3 or 4 episodes of season 3 started to tank the show hard for me. Many of the characters were starting to become unlikable. There was a fairly big time skip during this time, so it wasn't a great transition for character development. It's too bad because, in the episode before things start to fall apart, they had my second favorite sequence in the entire series. A lot less focus on wrestling overall in season 3.

It might just be me, but season 3 also felt extra 'woke', and that was turning me off.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Anyone check out The Outsider on HBO?
It's fantastic so far. Haven't read the book but those that have are saying it's a really good representation. Feels a lot like the first season of True Detective.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Anyone check out The Outsider on HBO?
It's fantastic so far. Haven't read the book but those that have are saying it's a really good representation. Feels a lot like the first season of True Detective.
I like the sounds of that :thumb:

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:09 pm

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 pm

The Outsider is essentially a scene by scene reimaging of the book and it is great.

Commentary on possible ending:
The book ending kind of flies off into left field and I assume the show will as well, which might hurt it if it does stay faithful which is a really precarious place to be as someone that enjoyed the book and what I have seen from the show so far. The end of The Outsider is kind of similar to the book Desperation, imo.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am

A Fresh Guide to Florence with Fab 5 Freddy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007737

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:59 am

Watched the first Watchmen episode last night. Wow, that was not what I was expecting and I still am not really sure what's going on, but I liked it. I'm not real familiar with the comics, but have seen the movie and noticed those characters in the background on the tv show in the show. Are these all new characters? What's happening here? They showed Dr Manhattan on the TV so I was a little confused.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:13 am

Yeah i felt the same way when I watched it a week ago or so. And i just watched the second episode last night. The world starts coming more into focus. Although i read the comic years ago and watched the movie I'm not sure on some of the characters. The russian dude, the main girl (night) and the dude Glass have to be new characters i think

I keep almost thinking I know what's happening. I think they're showing alternate history past (well just their world's past) and then post comic/movie future. Night seems successor to Nite Owl. The calvalry seem like people incited by rorschach's action at the end of the movie.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

Watched the first Watchmen episode last night. Wow, that was not what I was expecting and I still am not really sure what's going on, but I liked it. I'm not real familiar with the comics, but have seen the movie and noticed those characters in the background on the tv show in the show. Are these all new characters? What's happening here? They showed Dr Manhattan on the TV so I was a little confused.
Spoilered for anyone else who hasn't started watching yet, but nothing related to what will happen in the show....
- The show ties directly into the comic, but seeing the movie is enough. The ONE big difference is that the end of the movie used a fake attack by Dr. Manhattan to unite the world against their common enemy and end the threat of nuclear war. The comic instead uses a fake attack by a telekinetic alien squid that was created and engineered by Adrian Veidt, hence the raining squid situation in the first episode.

- In the comic Dr. Manhattan **** off to Mars to try to create his own version of life. What was shown on the TV in E1 was footage of him dicking around on Mars.

- The TV show within the show is essentially the shows version of "Tales of the Black Freighter", which was the comic within the comic. It's called American Hero Story and is essentially a sensationalized version of true events related to the founding of The Minutemen, which was the first superhero group. The show is focusing on Hooded Justice, who was the first masked vigilante.
The main characters of the show are new, but some of the originals will pop up. The only thing I can really encourage is to avoid spoilers and enjoy the ride (especially with Jeremy Irons). The work they put in to unfolding the story and tying everything together is incredible. The entire nine episode run is fantastic, but two of the episodes are honestly top five episodes of television that I've ever watched.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

So anyone watch Picard yet?

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:33 am

The way they cropped that video is infuriating.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:34 am

Spoilered for anyone else who hasn't started watching yet, but nothing related to what will happen in the show....
- The show ties directly into the comic, but seeing the movie is enough. The ONE big difference is that the end of the movie used a fake attack by Dr. Manhattan to unite the world against their common enemy and end the threat of nuclear war. The comic instead uses a fake attack by a telekinetic alien squid that was created and engineered by Adrian Veidt, hence the raining squid situation in the first episode.

- In the comic Dr. Manhattan **** off to Mars to try to create his own version of life. What was shown on the TV in E1 was footage of him dicking around on Mars.

- The TV show within the show is essentially the shows version of "Tales of the Black Freighter", which was the comic within the comic. It's called American Hero Story and is essentially a sensationalized version of true events related to the founding of The Minutemen, which was the first superhero group. The show is focusing on Hooded Justice, who was the first masked vigilante.
The main characters of the show are new, but some of the originals will pop up. The only thing I can really encourage is to avoid spoilers and enjoy the ride (especially with Jeremy Irons). The work they put in to unfolding the story and tying everything together is incredible. The entire nine episode run is fantastic, but two of the episodes are honestly top five episodes of television that I've ever watched.
Thank you, that's incredibly helpful!

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:53 pm

I thought it was very good (didn't know Michael Chabon was one of the writers), but also a little depressing.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:52 pm

I wanted to watch it today since I was home sick, but spent literally the entire day watching The Expanse.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:58 pm

I wanted to watch it today since I was home sick, but spent literally the entire day watching The Expanse.
I'm reading the books now. :thumb:

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Spangler » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:07 pm

Things will become more clear about the Watchmen universe the deeper you go into the series. Each episode explains more of the main plot from the comic.

When the show first came out, it really frustrated me watching the so called "reviews" of the series on Youtube, when the reviewers admitted they didn't watch past the 1st episode. The negative reviews it got were really unfair. The deeper you dive into the show, the more you realize just how insane the efforts were to tie everything together and make reference to the comic.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:15 pm

I thought it was very good (didn't know Michael Chabon was one of the writers), but also a little depressing.
Just watched episode one. I agree with this.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:52 pm

I had to force myself to stop watching The Expanse for a little bit. Non-stop episodes since I woke up, and I need to see what happens next. My family thinks I have a problem.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:33 am

Really enjoyed the first episode of Picard. The production values are unreal, and the show feels "big." Which is good. Definitely has me hooked.

Curb last week was great as well. Seemed to be a few minutes too long, which was a first for me.

Halfway through the latest season of Ray Donovan. It's good, and there are rumors that the show will be ending soon. That's probably a good thing, as I don't know how many jams one person and family can get themselves out of in a lifetime. :lol:

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am

Can't figure out if Medical Police is worth it or not. Each episode is very hit and miss.
Just watched the first one. I'll probably continue with it. But that sounds very much like latter-day Childrens Hospital seasons. Some great mixed in with some blah. The early seasons of that show were just fantastic. I don't think the longer amount of time for episode narratives does that type of humor any favors.

I'll probably keep it going since half-hour comedies are about all I watch these days.
I will say, just finished it and ended up enjoying it more than I thought, on the whole. I think a lot of that is I've always been a big Rob Huebel fan and think he's hilarious.
Once you get into the groove, the back half of the season is stronger than the front half. Provided a lot of good laughs, so that's always a :thumb: for me.