Colossal TV Show thread

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:31 pm

How about Clark Gregg as the cuddle rapist? That drove Dutch to strange a **** cat in the next episode.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:41 pm

I hate commercials, but I won’t lie - the Geico commercial with Tag Team is **** awesome.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:48 pm

Not Gilroy, the captain in SWAT - Patrick St Esprit

I remember that dude. One of my favorite “hey it’s that guy!” moments on a rewatch was Bert Kreischer as a peeping tom cuck watching his wife take in some BBC programming.
:lol:

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:59 am

At one point I did a deep dive into the events that inspired The Shield. Rampart scandal, CRASH unit, etc. Pretty crazy stuff with bank robberies and cops that grew up with Suge and did his bidding. Show was even originally called RAMPART before the LAPD asked them to change it.
You can ask Woody Harrelson about Rampart.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:55 pm

:lol:

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:15 pm

I hate commercials, but I won’t lie - the Geico commercial with Tag Team is **** awesome.
Mrs Tif and I have taken to doing the foot bump dance thing. :lol:

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 pm

Bert Kreischer as a peeping tom cuck watching his wife take in some BBC programming.
My brain auto corrected this sentence to "watching his wife take in some BBC", which is a somewhat different visual.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Bert Kreischer as a peeping tom cuck watching his wife take in some BBC programming.
My brain auto corrected this sentence to "watching his wife take in some BBC", which is a somewhat different visual.
That’s exactly what she was doing...

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:26 pm

Hey now

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:27 pm

I already miss that damn show and I just finished it.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:39 pm

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:46 pm

Just keep the theme and I'll be happy.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Oh **** am I going to have to subscribe to Starz?

‘Party Down’ Limited Series in Development at Starz
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/party- ... 234921901/

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:50 pm

I was going to say that sounds like a bad all-synth version of the Hill Street Blues theme. Had to Google and yep, both are Mike Post.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Mike Post is the champ.

Also Stephen Bochco is the creator.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:02 pm

I feel like Doogie Houser and Coach were on back to back when I was a kid. I miss being a kid sometimes.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 pm

After starting The Expanse last year, getting side tracking in Season 3 and then deciding to restart the series, I have finally made it through Season 5...
I **** love this show. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close. As a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, this show spiritually feels like as close as I'll ever get to a live action Mass Effect show.

Season 1: I think this is a perfect world building season while also giving us Miller's noir murder mystery until our story takes a page out of a Johnny Gossamer novel and both cases are tied together. I love the contentious universe this series takes place in and the measures taken to add a significant level of realism. Thomas Jane is a complete scene stealer while Errinwright has the most punchable face.

Season 2: Loved the addition of Bobbie and giving us a Martian perspective on the universe, which continues to expand as we're introduced to places like Ganymede. Shohreh Aghdashloo carries a ton of weight in political scenes.

Season 3: Lots of shitty people finally get their due in this season, while the obvious transition between books felt a little wonky to me. Drummer grew into a favorite while David Strathairn was a hell of an addition to the cast. So glad this wasn't the end of the series.

Season 4: At times S2 and S3 felt like they could be an episode or two shorter, while I wish this season was an episode or two longer. Obvious budget upgrade from Amazon, but probably my least favorite season. While we get glimpses of the greater universe with Avasarala, Drummer/Ashford, and Bobbie playing black market with some actors getting paid scale, I thought too much time was spent on Ilus. For the first time in this show the universe felt small, which was weird since they were on a new planet in a different system. Loved the expanded, and still not answered, mystery of what the hell is going on with the protomolecule and whatever tried to destroy it and Murtry was a great antagonist.

Season 5: At the outset of this season I was a little perturbed by our crew being split up, and while it sucked that we'll never truly see them together again, I thought it worked well for the story and made the universe feel expansive again. Since S1 Amos quickly became my favorite crew member and it was great to learn more about him and watch him and Peaches play out their own version of The Road. Alex (second favorite crew member) and Bobbie was a great pairing and I loved them working together. The attack on Earth was fantastic and the surprise attack on Tycho Station was a complete surprise to me. I didn't think Holden had a ton to do this season but was okay with that. I thought Marco Inaros was a fantastic villain and his teenage kid is an annoying ****, so mission accomplished. I could have done with a bit less captive Naomi and the broken family, but thought her post escape struggles were fantastically done. Drummer is awesome.

I can't believe S4 is the last time getting to see Alex do cool **** with the Roci. I really liked the character and thought they handled his re-written death as good as could be expected given the situation. The character went out heroically trying to save a member of his family. Cas Anvar can **** off for his actions. Monica was less annoying that when she was being a documentary minx in S3 and I grew to really like Peaches and look forward to seeing her with the crew (Amos "convincing" Holden to bring her on was hilarious). I'm super excited for S6 but also can't believe the end is near and wonder how they're going to fit everything into what will likely be a 10 episode season again. Marco Inaros needs to be dealt with, the Laconians are out there waiting to cause trouble, and lots of protomolecule stuff still needs explained.

Season rankings: 1, 5, 3, 2, 4

Random musing: The guest casting on this show cracks me up at times. Thomas Jane was **** awesome and I'm glad he made appearances post-protomolecule obliteration. Same goes for David Strathairn and Burn Gorman. On the flip side, they paid decently well known actor Jay Hernandez to show up for half of S1 and do nothing. Elizabeth Mitchell's character could have been played by anyone and it wouldn't have made a difference. Jared Harris is in the show for like 30 seconds. Tim DeKay did nothing but die. Weird stuff.
Couldn’t agree more with all of this. S06 can’t come soon enough. Funny that you mention Jay Hernandez, because he was literally the reason I started watching this show.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:37 pm

Listening Wes and Ty’s podcast, they’ve tried to get Harris back, and he would love to come back, but he’s very busy these days post-Chernobyl.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:43 am

Pacific rim anime series coming this week to Netflix and it looks great. Looking forward to this one.
Did you start this yet? I watched episode 1 last night.
Turns dark pretty damn quickly.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 am

What was the last good show HBO put out?

Chernobyl?

I scroll through their channels and have a hard time finding anything.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:53 am

Hard to top Chernobyl so maybe they just gave up.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:00 am

The Flight Attendant was good.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:05 am

Watchmen was better than anything.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:08 am

Still haven't watched Chernobyl, but the talk about the HBO show did send me down a YouTube rabbit hole with documentaries on the subject. Yup, that s**t was pretty terrifying.

And having a better understanding of the realities of the situation gives more layers of engagement in playing Modern Warfare in the 'All Ghillied Up' and 'One Shot One Kill' levels as you scramble around Pripyat. Obviously not the intent of the documentarians, but is a nice side benefit.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:35 am

Pacific rim anime series coming this week to Netflix and it looks great. Looking forward to this one.
Did you start this yet? I watched episode 1 last night.
Turns dark pretty damn quickly.
Not yet, might give it a go tonight