Colossal TV Show thread

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:18 am

I've enjoyed the terribleness of You. Gossip Girl XOXO as the lead creeps me out because no adult male should be that skinny. S1 was actually on Lifetime and was pretty bad. Season 2 and 3 were okayish and at the worst worthy of a hate watch. Wife wanted to started S4 last week and we've both fallen asleep multiple times during the first episode. Ridiculousness has apparently been replaced with boredom.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:32 am

Nate's storyline is great. He's damaged because of his father (just like Jamie) and in the beginning you think Ted's going to bring out his inner hero and Tart is irredeemable. But as the show goes along we learn that Nate's so insecure that he needs constant validation whereas Jamie matures into bearable pretty boy. I love how it sets up this final season.
Absolutely agree. I believe in today's internet culture they call it the "nice guy syndrome". The idea of being nice and putting in your time entitles you to women bowing down at your feet, people showering you with constant compliments and praise, and everything you want being given to you simply because you played the nice guy long enough. Forget the fact that the only reason you played the nice guy was because you had ill motives.

I also can see in the coming season: Ted continues to be Ted toward Nate. Give him the same love he did before Nate blew up, and not back down a bit. It's going to play the same mind games like it was for Jamie and Roy and Rebecca, but in the case of Nate, it'll go the other way.

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am

Nate's storyline is great. He's damaged because of his father (just like Jamie) and in the beginning you think Ted's going to bring out his inner hero and Tart is irredeemable. But as the show goes along we learn that Nate's so insecure that he needs constant validation whereas Jamie matures into bearable pretty boy. I love how it sets up this final season.
Absolutely agree. I believe in today's internet culture they call it the "nice guy syndrome". The idea of being nice and putting in your time entitles you to women bowing down at your feet, people showering you with constant compliments and praise, and everything you want being given to you simply because you played the nice guy long enough. Forget the fact that the only reason you played the nice guy was because you had ill motives.

I also can see in the coming season: Ted continues to be Ted toward Nate. Give him the same love he did before Nate blew up, and not back down a bit. It's going to play the same mind games like it was for Jamie and Roy and Rebecca, but in the case of Nate, it'll go the other way.
AGREED! I'm rooting for their not being a redemption arc for Nate at all, and that it teaches Ted that sometimes no matter how much you show love to a person, they have to be right with themselves before they can really accept it. It'll push him further and further into Rupert's circle and when West Ham slips up on his watch and Rupert throws him to the dogs he'll be left alone. I predict a few Dr. Sharon episodes of Ted trying to understand that.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:07 pm

No huge surprise, but apparently Mindhunter is officially over. :(

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/n ... rever.html

Edit: I also call BS on Fincher putting all of the blame on Netflix. It was pretty clear he wanted to move on to other projects. Jerk.

Gabe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gabe » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:15 pm

The final season of A Million Little Things has started, BTW.
I remember trying to watch that when it first came on...which seems like ages ago, but bailed half way through the first season. It felt like a cheap-o version of This is Us even if it wasn't. I was surprised when I saw a commercial showing it was still on and entering its final season.
Stuck with it. Good show overall. The ensemble characters are good and they gave them enough depth to be somewhat antiheros at times. With that said, i like them ending it now. No need to drag it on.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:48 pm

My parents got my teenagers into Outer Banks during a visit a couple of years ago. My youngest is particularly fond of it, and it's filmed near where my parents live (despite it being set in NC - couldn't get the tax credits to film there) and he finally convinced my wife to watch it. I watched over her shoulder off and on this weekend...and it is probably Lifetime/Hallmark level acting with some of the most contrived, bullshit plots on TV. I assumed it was just a CW teen drama, but then there's a treasure hunt thing on top of it? And some sort of deserted island? Next, there'll be a plane crash and polar bears. :lol:

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:54 pm

Yeah, it sucks. Enjoyed the ferry ride to Raleigh though.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:06 pm

A Netflix show running too long? I didn't think that was possible. :lol:
Netflix just ordered the 7th season of "Somebody Feed Phil", tying it for the longest-running series on the platform. :lol:

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:02 am

I love watching old SNL guys talk about that Seagal episode.

mac5155

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:28 pm

I just finished season 4 of peaky blinders. I know I'm behind the times with that show but man, it's good.
legitimately DID NOT see that ending coming with Arthur after the boxing match. Every time you wonder how Tommy is going to squeak them out of it and he always does. Can't wait to see what he does as a politician lol

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:28 am

Reacher season 2 has wrapped filming. Can’t wait for that one.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:04 am

anyone check out the consultant on prime with christoph waltz?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:08 am

I love every second of this intro, and can't stop watching it.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:52 am

Decided to give Station Eleven a go. Read the book when it came out and enjoyed it. I wasn't sure I'd want to watch a show about a pandemic...after our own pandemic, so I waited. Good so far, through 3 episodes. Apparently, it was filmed before, during, and after COVD shutdowns etc. That must have been strange.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:03 am

Damian Lewis is back for 6 episodes of Billions season 7. Good. It felt strange without him last season

https://apple.news/Au33LJNwtQw-anKUK_xRr-Q

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:24 am

gonna be hard for me to want to get back in to billions

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:33 am

Show lost its way with the weird “I’m an s&m freak” speech giamatti gave to save his campaign

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:46 am

I trailed off shortly after he was defending his farm with canons. Or something.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:17 am

I wonder if the writers room has fully turned over since the beginning. The show used to be pretty good at explaining investment jargon stuff in a digestible way. Granted, mostly it's Axe being the smartest guy ever essentially being the vehicle for telling the story by schooling someone else, but you would still absorb what was going on.

But that finale last year with the crypto and the weird orb like thingees, and not paying taxes on crypto gains? That **** made no sense.

LITT

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:25 am

i only made it two episodes in the post-lewis era. mike prince is not compelling as a lead

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:31 pm

Mayor of Kingstown has been incredibly weak this season. No real plot/story, short episodes, a noticeable decline in the quality of dialogue. I won't be surprised if it gets canceled at this rate, especially considering Renner's accident.

I'm starting to really dislike Taylor Sheridan. His shows start off really solid then run out of seem and devolve into meandering messes. Well except for Tulsa King, that sucked from the get go He either needs to cut back on the amount shows he's working on (won't happen) or get a better support staff to keep these shows going when he loses interest.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:11 pm

we started watching succession. good show. all characters are pretty easily unlikable. clever writing and good acting
I’m 5 episodes in and I wouldn’t continue if it wasn’t for my wife liking it. I don’t care about the characters because they’re all dadholes. I don’t care about their business because why would I? The Culkin fella is the most annoying, in character, performance, and writing. The characters who aren’t dadholes are portrayed as morons. I need something or someone to latch onto and there’s nothing for me yet.
It's on my list due to the high praise, but my wife absolutely hated the first episode and that'll likely be the extent of our viewing. Had no desire to see rich dadholes be bad at doing business.
season 2 has been much better than season 1. my wife wanted to bail after the first episode. im strangely captivated by it
Absolutely. Season 2 completely redeems the series.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:25 pm

Came across this on Prime:

Will be fun to see if Christoph Waltz can carry a show.

RonnieFranchise

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:49 am

YESSSSSSSSSS

I have it on DVD, but still... great show. Started Bruce Willis' superstar career and Cybill Shepherd... wowzers. Great soundtrack, too.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:17 am

I think the soundtrack was the hangup on streaming, right? Was it ever syndicated?