Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:28 am

I've never seen HIMYM

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:34 am

HIMYM is a show that was strong for a bit, but decided to continue on to the point that loyal fans were aggravated by it. We watch Big Bang Theory, but only when there's nothing else on TiVo, and that's only because we've watched from the beginning. Might as well finish it out at this point.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:36 am

HIMYM is a show that was strong for a bit, but decided to continue on to the point that loyal fans were aggravated by it.
Perfect. :thumb: If they'd have given him his damn wife in season 6, it would have been a good payoff.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:37 am

It's been six years since I've watched it, but I do recall a lingering season that centered around a train station or something. *yawn*

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:48 pm

TBBT is so bad that when people say they think it's hilarious or that they are fans, I actually think just a little less of them.

And my God NP... normally you're my boy Blue but you are on your own here.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:50 pm

lol

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Lot to unpack there.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:47 pm

TBBT is so bad that when people say they think it's hilarious or that they are fans, I actually think just a little less of them.

I understand not liking the show, but it seems like a lot of the hate for Big Bang comes from the fact that it's popular. I'm not calling you out specifically, but the overwhelming attitude from people who dislike BBT is superiority over those who like it. So they celebrate the ending of the show as if they somehow won something.
:pop: Case in point.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Nope. I actually tried to give it a fair shake. Saw maybe 15 or so episodes in reruns. The characters suck, the laugh track sucks, the stupid catchphrases suck

mikey

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mikey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Just finished Season 6 of Orange is the New Black...

*spoilers*

Pretty underwhelming season insofar that nothing happens...at all. And the whole thing is kind of a mess and they didn't leave themselves a lot of good outs it doesn't seem like. Time is a weird thing in this show. Season 5 was basically like a day and a half or something...Piper's sentence is like a year or whatever...but yet references keep getting made to today's news...and then they forcibly and hamhandedly accelerated right into the next soft reboot of this thing - immigration policy. This seems undesirable and too far outside of the show's trestles to be meaningfully supportable.

While the show has a loose grip on timing, it had no trouble accelerating character development far beyond the governor that they had put on low-level characters early on. For instance, Doggett, the indistinguishable, meth-addled Appalachian, had one IQ point for every tooth left in that lipless c*ck holster of hers in the early seasons...she suddenly morphs into this street-wise, prison escape artist who is now able to successfully make deals with high-end executives for cushy cell block placement after escaping from God damn prison...she even had a come-to-Jesus moment to put herself back in jail. I don't mind character development, certainly...but this bit character is suddenly punching three rungs above her weight class and it's not believable nor is it interesting.

The mysterious Blanca, who spoke almost no English in the first five seasons as I recall, has grown into a primary focal point while making English her primary language in season 6. While formerly closed-off and standoffish, Blanca becomes much more engaged and engaging. There was a lot of meat left on the bone for her based on her usage earlier in the series, so this development is both believable and likable...though, I do wish there was a little more mystery left to her. In typical OITNB fashion, a very likable character offers up a punch to the gut after a long lead-up. Instead of a success story, she's used as a pawn for a future storyline that, again, will probably end up being a desperate attempt to amplify soapbox grandstanding with a shotgun-style spread before the show ends up turning the gun on itself in season 7.

Speaking of social justice, the only remotely interesting plot mover...Taystee's trial. There's little doubt that this is the centerpiece of the table, yet, Taystee is an after-thought in her own legal battle. Instead, we see useless corporate attaboys (and girls) play grab ass with each other for, presumably, months (there's no clocks in here) while the show tears itself to shreds trying to decide if it wants to allow Caputo to be a) relevant and/or b) a hero. Meanwhile, the show is either unbelievably clever or remarkably lazy by having the ACLU (or whoever) step in for Taystee only to have them do absolutely nothing at all in the entire process...other than stand around and look mad or sad depending on the scene. I can't imagine a show that is trying to whiteknight its way through sociopolitical commentary would intentionally make such a cutting jab at an organization that is supposed to be its brother-in-arms like that, so let's go with lazy.

Nicky's performance gets a big plus from me, she's a fantastic character that just keeps on giving. The other new characters and character developments range from irrelevant to annoying mostly...the hideously-accented Madison might be a little too-on-the-nose for her own good, but psychologically, they nailed her character type. The bickering sisters have a tragic, yet unfulfilling and unengrossing (is that a word?) backstory that seemed like it was slapped together at 4:55 pm one Friday afternoon...in all, they did nothing to move the plot and I'm glad they kill themselves, respectively, at the end. If nothing else though, the casting of the show is so well done and psychological mapping of the characters is very strong.

That said, all we got was 13 hours of chitter chatter, grade school pranks, spotty acts of random-on-random violence, some wildly uneven character development and story progression and absolutely no hook for season 7...particularly noteworthy is that a show about a well-to-do, though highly annoying suburbanite going to prison, no longer has a well-to-do, though highly annoying suburbanite in prison any more. While I hope that she's out of the way because she sucks, it's obvious that the show doesn't have the discipline to keep itself on any kind of track and, barring some pleasant surprise, will likely collapse onto itself in the final season...

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Not nearly enough ellipses to hold my attention here. 2/10; pass.

mikey

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mikey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Wow, just 14...that is low.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:11 pm

It's a ratio (yet to be determined, much like the Supreme Court, I'll know it when I see it).

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:46 pm

‘Dynasties’ Premieres Early 2019 on BBC America

Presented by world-renowned naturalist Sir David Attenborough (Blue Planet II, Planet Earth II) and executive produced by Emmy®-winner Mike Gunton (Planet Earth II), Dynasties follows five of the world’s most celebrated but endangered animals, as they do whatever it takes to survive and protect the next generation.

This series will focus in never-seen-before detail on one particular family from each species per episode:
  1. Emperor penguins in the frozen wastes of Antarctica
  2. Chimpanzees on the edge of the Sahara in Senegal, West Africa
  3. Lions on the savannahs of Kenya’s Masai Mara
  4. Painted wolves on the floodplains of the great Zambezi river in Zimbabwe
  5. Tigers in the jungles of Bandhavgarh, India
Count me in.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Yes please

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:17 pm

You had me at Attenborough

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Are they painted wolves or painted dogs?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Are they painted wolves or painted dogs?
They go by both names.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Anyone watching Yellowstone on Paramount?

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Anyone watching Yellowstone on Paramount?
I thought that looked good, but don't know about Paramount channel, wonder if it's streamable?

I keep seeing things for The Innocents on Netflix

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Paramount is the old Spike Channel.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Interesting

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:23 am

Voltron: Legendary Defenders season 8 will be its last, with the series wrapping up. I'm sure they'll do the show justice, but man, this show is so damn enjoyable.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:31 am

That is a concerning poster to me...the letters BBC and the look on that chimps face...

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:00 am