Colossal TV Show thread

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:17 am

I thought it was excellent and it rode the line perfectly until the last episode

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:09 pm

It's aight. Take a few of the big names out and replace with some of the cast of say Suits or network procedural and it wouldn't be worth watching imo.

Nuge

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:15 pm

Just watched “We Own This City” HBO miniseries on the Baltimore City Police corruption of the 2010s. It was made by the guy that did The Wire. Def worth a watch.
One of my favorite miniseries of all-time, and great from start to finish. Bernthal absolutely killed it in that role.
Check out the David Simon miniseries Show Me A Hero, with Oscar Isaac. Very, very good. Not many people talk about it though.
I just finished this last week based on this reccomendation. Excellent. David Simon stuff is just at another level.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:32 pm

The Regime. I never truly got a good sense of what the show wants to be from the pilot. Seeing as that’s one of the main jobs of a pilot…not a great sign. It’s weird and Wes Anderson-y but not particularly funny. Still, it’s odd enough that it has my interest and I’ll continue with it. Performances were solid and I love the look of it.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:29 am

Shogun, through 3 episodes is very good.

To follow up on the convo in the streaming thread, I started watching it DVR'ed from YTTV on my laptop while I was traveling this week. It played in Japanese with subtitles. I get home, watch it on my TV, and YTTV only has the English dubbed version. Gross. So I watch it via Hula via Disney+. But yes, contrary to what I thought, there were still commercials on it. I guess some shows on Hulu have more commercials than others. But at least it was in 4K with Japanese and not dubbed.

Cosmo Jarvis' affected voice (which is something he did on purpose) sounds a lot like Richard Burton. :lol: I need AI to assemble a video of him saying "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, over..." :lol:

I am fascinated by anyone who can learn foreign languages. Anna Sawai is from New Zealand, born to Japanese parents. I was expecting her (in an interview with Jimmy Kimmel) to speak with a Kiwi or British accent, but she speaks in a perfect North American English accent despite not spending significant time here. It's crazy how that language learning works.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:37 am

I'm in.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:36 am

Shogun, through 3 episodes is very good.

To follow up on the convo in the streaming thread, I started watching it DVR'ed from YTTV on my laptop while I was traveling this week. It played in Japanese with subtitles. I get home, watch it on my TV, and YTTV only has the English dubbed version. Gross. So I watch it via Hula via Disney+. But yes, contrary to what I thought, there were still commercials on it. I guess some shows on Hulu have more commercials than others. But at least it was in 4K with Japanese and not dubbed.

Cosmo Jarvis' affected voice (which is something he did on purpose) sounds a lot like Richard Burton. :lol: I need AI to assemble a video of him saying "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, over..." :lol:

I am fascinated by anyone who can learn foreign languages. Anna Sawai is from New Zealand, born to Japanese parents. I was expecting her (in an interview with Jimmy Kimmel) to speak with a Kiwi or British accent, but she speaks in a perfect North American English accent despite not spending significant time here. It's crazy how that language learning works.
I mentioned it earlier, but through the Hulu app, it said 4k HDR and played in Dolby vision, but the compression and artifacts overall quality was like watching a DVD, it was very very poor quality. No idea how it could have looked that bad, but the show was excellent. Hopefully it looks better next episode

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:46 am

Fallout looks great, never played the game, but that looks entertaining.

I've wanted to read these books but have yet to get around to it. Looks like it could be good

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:16 am

That does look interesting.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 am

Shogun Ep 3 was excellent.
The opening scene, after Yabushige prepares his will ("It is our best one yet" lol) and meets with Toranaga and his duplicity is exposed, all the while with Hiromatsu hovering in the background - out of focus, but always in-frame with Yabushige......... my god, I thought I was going to have a coronary. Yabu and Hiro have become my two favorite characters, and I was like "Nnoooooooo, I don't want one to kill the other" haha

I can't wait to see Fuji's comeuppance realized. The scene of Hiro consoling her with the cremains of her husband and child was one of the most effective of show so far, and perhaps the only time in the history of audiovisual entertainment that the Single Tear trope actually felt earned and had weight.

Spoiler avoidance is in effect for me as best as I can (didn't read the book, never saw the original miniseries), but if the story they are telling remains true to actual Japanese history, you sort of already know the broad strokes of what will ultimately play out. Nearly all of the characters are based on real people and the story (mostly) on real events, so if you know like three bits of information in their historical context you already know how Ep 10 will end. But, I mean....... every one went into the theater knowing the ship was going to sink when "Titanic" came out. It's about the journey.

The attack on Toranaga's 'convoy' out of Osaka was very confusing to me, as an action set piece. It was easy enough to follow the switcheroo and all that, but once the battle was joined and the combatants realized Toranaga was in their midst and the fighting became a 2-against-1 affair, I was sort of lost. They've been doing an excellent job with the use of color to help distinguish characters/factions, but with this battle taking place at night, I just couldn't keep it all sorted. The way it was photographed/staged/edited felt a little slapdash. Not in the deliberate sense of "making the audience as confused as the character(s)", but more in the sense "we don't quite know how to photograph/stage/edit big action set pieces". Hopefully the huge daylight pitched battles that are sure to come will be more engaging.

There are some goofy technical things going on with the camera lenses that I'm getting a little too distracted by. They shot some of the scenes with spherical anamorphic lenses, and they are lending a weird optical distortion to some shots that could maybe do with a bit less visual flair. Which is unfortunate because this show is amazing otherwise and looks absolutely epic. The cinematography is stunning; I love the naturalistic lighting - dark is dark, light sources are candles or celestial, etc. So the lens bugeye thing is like Megan Fox's toe-thumbs; now that I've seen it I can't unsee it, and it has become the defining aspect of what I am taking in when there's really quite a lot of good things going on besides the toe-thumbs.

Both of the last two points are very much 'me' problems.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:45 am

"Brought to you by the duo who wanted the final two seasons of Game of Thrones to be a trilogy of movies"

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:50 am

So it'll be great for 6 seasons then we'll get a rushed ending? It'll get cancelled after 3 seasons anyway so let's do it.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 am

Some character will 'forget' the single most vital piece of military intelligence about their enemy and go inexplicably war-crimey because script.

genoscoif

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby genoscoif » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:39 pm

We watched the true crime doc American Nightmare on Netflix last night. It had one of the more Scooby Doo 'Ruh?!?' moments in it that we've ever seen in one of these true crime shows. Crazy story with enough questions left at the end to keep conversations going. There's a kind of twist or reveal that leaves you saying GTFOH, then they basically don't mention it again.

Looked on Reddit and the conspiracy theories around the case are sweet. @Shyster would love it.
Cops being idiots/incompetent/corrupt, potential FBI conspiracy, media being knuckleheads, and a lawsuit ending in a 7 figure settlement. :D

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:48 pm

I’ve been watching Dinner Time Live with David Chang on Netflix lately. It’s a fun show. He brings on a couple guests and cooks for them while they all just talk about different stuff around whatever is being made. My favorite episode was with Bert Kreischer and Bill Simmons.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:52 pm

We watched the true crime doc American Nightmare on Netflix last night. It had one of the more Scooby Doo 'Ruh?!?' moments in it that we've ever seen in one of these true crime shows. Crazy story with enough questions left at the end to keep conversations going. There's a kind of twist or reveal that leaves you saying GTFOH, then they basically don't mention it again.

Looked on Reddit and the conspiracy theories around the case are sweet. @Shyster would love it.
Cops being idiots/incompetent/corrupt, potential FBI conspiracy, media being knuckleheads, and a lawsuit ending in a 7 figure settlement. :D
We watched that last week. It was quite a mind ****, especially how things looked in episode 1, then episode 2 started...and I'm like WTF. Then it just got even more WTF from that point forward.

The biggest take away I take from all of these things is never ever ever ever talk to the cops about anything. Ever. Get a lawyer and shut up.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:03 pm

We watched the true crime doc American Nightmare on Netflix last night. It had one of the more Scooby Doo 'Ruh?!?' moments in it that we've ever seen in one of these true crime shows.
I had absolutely no recognition of this case, despite it happening around the time we lived in the Bay Area.
The part where the FBI guy interviewed the woman and the subtitles said "The FBI has never made this video public", I said to Mrs Tif "Oh my God they're telling the truth...... that means the video was never used as evidence in a trial."
Last edited by tifosi77 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:09 pm

Eleven said that there were 9 more months of shooting for Stranger Things S05. This is beyond absurd, and the show isn’t good enough to warrant these absurd gaps (strike notwithstanding).

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:26 pm

It's good enough, imo, but I still think it's ludicrous that they didn't have S5 written (not even started!) before S4 ended. Yes, I understand how the unions work, etc. It still seems ridiculously poor planning from all involved, especially when dealing with "child" actors.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:49 am

Zach Galifianakis Joins 'Only Murders in the Building' Season 4
sigh

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:09 am

Zach Galifianakis Joins 'Only Murders in the Building' Season 4
sigh
Galifianakis is awesome.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:55 am

I decided to rewatch Birdman somewhat recently and forgot how solid he was in that.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 am

Shogun Ep 4
That writer's room must've been a hoot, spending time concocting verbose insults. It's like the Twitter memes when Trump visited Scotland.

"Milk dribbling f**k stain" lol

I gasped when Fuji-san presented Anjin with her family katana+wakizashi. That whole scene was beautiful, actually, although it was a bold choice to have Anjin-san like natto..... possibly the least believable part of the show so far. haha The entire episode had some fantastic moments of character building all around. Mariko-sama's 'translations' seem to be getting more interpretive. Relating to Toranaga-sama that Fuji would only do six months as Anjin's consort, when she straight up said to Mariko she'd do one year. The way she covers up insults when translating. She's looking out for people.

For the record, Anjin's response to the "baby earthquake" was pretty much how everyone who moves to California as an adult reacts to their first earthquake.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:04 pm

Monsieur Spade was just OK. I love the setting, and background had potential. Always enjoy Clive Owen too. But it just never really got going. Maybe it was the Algerian Revolution plotline, because I just don't know much about it? Only six episodes though, and filmed in a cool part of France. I'd check out a season two, should that happen.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:06 pm

The Bear has been renewed for a fourth season and will film seasons 3 & 4 back to back to keep an annual release schedule.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/the-bear-r ... 235858685/