Colossal TV Show thread

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 am

In other news, SNL has already fired Shane Gillis, who they just announced as a new cast member a week ago. Turns out, he made a ton of homophobic and racist comments on his podcast. This isn't PC culture or "cancel" culture. This was actually the right move. Not only could you not chalk his comments up to being young and he's grown since then (some were as recent as May 2019), they weren't in the context of a joke, and worst of all, they weren't even funny.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Dexter Season 6
what the ****. I mean okay I guess with the religion non-sense but it’s getting to the point of being too interwoven and come on how many serial killers can Miami have. Also Deb sucks worse than usual.

the wicked child

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby the wicked child » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:40 pm

I was sad to learn the current season of Homicide Hunter is the last. I guess it couldn't last forever... Not every case he worked is going to be interesting, and he isn't getting any younger... But my, my, my... I'm gonna miss it.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Dexter Season 6
what the ****. I mean okay I guess with the religion non-sense but it’s getting to the point of being too interwoven and come on how many serial killers can Miami have. Also Deb sucks worse than usual.
You should have stopped after season 5, bud.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:22 pm

In other news, SNL has already fired Shane Gillis, who they just announced as a new cast member a week ago. Turns out, he made a ton of homophobic and racist comments on his podcast. This isn't PC culture or "cancel" culture. This was actually the right move. Not only could you not chalk his comments up to being young and he's grown since then (some were as recent as May 2019), they weren't in the context of a joke, and worst of all, they weren't even funny.
Yeah, I think this is different than most of the other cases in that he deserved to be fired.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Not a big surprise in the least, but Ken Burns' new documentary on country music, aptly titled, Country Music, is excellent.

I loathe 99% of what country music is today, but this is the historical roots of the music. It's excellent so far.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Dexter Season 6
oh and a **** crime scene that no one enters the house on because they were waiting for dexter? Oh and the painting inside just makes him the antichrist but he can destroy it because for the first time ever they waited for the **** blood guy. No TV series should go beyond 5 seasons. The writers just lose steam and contrive horseshit to keep going.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 pm

I'm currently watching Ken Burns' Vietnam documentary series. Outstanding.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Dexter Season 6
oh and a **** crime scene that no one enters the house on because they were waiting for dexter? Oh and the painting inside just makes him the antichrist but he can destroy it because for the first time ever they waited for the **** blood guy. No TV series should go beyond 5 seasons. The writers just lose steam and contrive horseshit to keep going.
You can't say you weren't warned.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Yeah, it really is excellent. Going to rewatch with my son soon.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am

Dexter Season 7
Off the rails we are. Did too much cocaine we have. Serial killer girlfriend... again. Only this time he knew it up front and still brought his family around her? Psychopaths don’t get emotionally attached to anything. Early Dexter really demonstrates him faking feelings, now they’re real? Oh and oh **** an arsonist serial killer just because Dex needs to satisfy a need. The Laguerta stuff, the Russian stuff. What a waste, it was all too much. Issac could have been a great foil for Dex but no he was reduced to a lover out for revenge. Oh and Deb sucks donkey balls and lost all of what her character’s values were.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:32 am

Yeah, I really liked the internal dialogue Dexter had in the first few seasons - how he had to pretend to be normal around people etc. Very well-written, like the source material...but then it went off the rails.

Anyhoo, I was surprised to see that Goliath is back for a third season. I'd read that Billy Bob Thornton had issues with the showrunner and figured they wouldn't be another season. This season looks good, and the "big bad" is Dennis Quaid. Beau Bridges is in there too.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:35 am

Dexter Season 7
Off the rails we are. Did too much cocaine we have. Serial killer girlfriend... again. Only this time he knew it up front and still brought his family around her? Psychopaths don’t get emotionally attached to anything. Early Dexter really demonstrates him faking feelings, now they’re real? Oh and oh **** an arsonist serial killer just because Dex needs to satisfy a need. The Laguerta stuff, the Russian stuff. What a waste, it was all too much. Issac could have been a great foil for Dex but no he was reduced to a lover out for revenge. Oh and Deb sucks donkey balls and lost all of what her character’s values were.
Yeeeep. Dexter hit its peak in season 4 and was all downhill from there.
Rita's death is such a great 'holy ****' moment and you think the show is about to hit a whole new level of awesome. Sadly it never comes to close to that peak again.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:37 am

Not to defend the disastrous end to Dexter, but this serial killer girlfriend was Yvonne Strahovski. Even psychopaths can develop real feelings for her.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah, I really liked the internal dialogue Dexter had in the first few seasons - how he had to pretend to be normal around people etc. Very well-written, like the source material...but then it went off the rails.

Anyhoo, I was surprised to see that Goliath is back for a third season. I'd read that Billy Bob Thornton had issues with the showrunner and figured they wouldn't be another season. This season looks good, and the "big bad" is Dennis Quaid. Beau Bridges is in there too.

Showrunner got canned. Three in three seasons.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Yeah, I think this is different than most of the other cases in that he deserved to be fired.
Thirded.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:39 pm

I don't watch awards shows, but I did see that American treasure Bob Newhart made a great appearance at the Emmys last night.

Gonna be a verrrrry sad day when he and DvD are gone. We've been lucky to have both of them healthy and sharp into their 90s. Not to mention Betty White.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bob-newh ... d468cf1051

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:15 pm

I don't watch awards shows, but I did see that American treasure Bob Newhart made a great appearance at the Emmys last night.

Gonna be a verrrrry sad day when he and DvD are gone. We've been lucky to have both of them healthy and sharp into their 90s. Not to mention Betty White.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bob-newh ... d468cf1051
The rest of that show was a dumpster fire.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:22 pm

We were out of town visiting my family for the day, so my wife was bitter that she was "missing the Emmys for the first time in years" and blaming me and my family for it. So she downloaded the Fox Now app to watch it on the ride home, but got annoyed with someone mumbling comments as the winners were coming up on the stage. She was disgusted. :lol:

She doesn't watch anything that was nominated, and other than Game of Thrones, Barry, and Chernobyl, I didn't watch many of the winners either.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:24 pm

It is my favorite Burns docu-series, and I am very glad we did not watch this until after our trip there.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:25 pm

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:42 pm

https://deadline.com/2019/09/marvels-gh ... 44645/amp/
Hulu has opted not to proceed with Marvel’s Ghost Rider, its planned live-action series starring Gabriel Luna, I have learned.

Hulu in May picked up two new live-action series from Disney sibling Marvel Television, Ghost Rider and Helstrom, to premiere in 2020. While Marvel’s Helstrom is on track, I hear Hulu and the Ghost Rider team had reached a creative impasse which could not be resolved, leading to the streamer’s decision not to move forward with the series.
That’s too bad, because I really liked Luna as Ghost Rider on SHIELD. Could have been a cool series.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Always Sunny back tonight too.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:35 am

Finished Country Music up last night. Very good stuff, although I found the early years (first three episodes) more compelling than the more recent stuff.

As someone who doesn't really like "country music," I found that I was narrowing in on the slick pop country that dominated the airwaves (and CD players) of the late 80s and into the 90s. The genre is much more diverse than that, and should also include bluegrass and Americana - which is awesome.

A few takeaways:
Hank Williams had some awesome songs, and I've regrettably shortchanged him because of comparisons to his less talented son.
Long Black Veil by Lefty Frizzell is haunting.
Dolly Parton is a badass.
I've never had much love for Garth Brooks' music, but at the height of his career, he went to a fan fest and signed every single autograph he could, for everyone in line. He signed for 20 hours. That's pretty cool.
I need to visit Bakersfield.

Why didn't anyone tell me Johnny Cash recorded an album with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his backing band? :face:
Last edited by DigitalGypsy66 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:14 am

Unchained, yes. Also Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood.