Colossal TV Show thread

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:57 pm

I started giving it a rewatch a couple years ago. Great characters, great moments.... I’m not sure it holds up wonderfully in the binge streaming TV world. Still a great show, but not as great as I remembered.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:58 pm

We tried to watch Oz for our quaranTV. It's so **** 90s we gave up after 3 episodes.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:49 pm

how is omar the only wire character? Stringer isnt one of the best 64? Child please

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:41 pm

We tried to watch Oz for our quaranTV. It's so **** 90s we gave up after 3 episodes.
You gave up too soon, my man.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:43 pm

Maybe I'll give it another go. The dutch angles, quick cut montages, cinematography, and weird interludes really put me off. Felt like mid 90s MTV.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Spangler » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:01 pm

I can't look at Christopher Meloni the same way ever since I watched Oz a number of years back. Saw more of him than I bargained for.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 pm

No Chief Holt pretty much invalidates the entire bracket for me

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 pm

I can't look at Christopher Meloni the same way ever since I watched Oz a number of years back. Saw more of him than I bargained for.
And Mayhem on the insurance commercials

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:27 pm

That characters thing is tough, especially the bosses section. Don Draper should’ve been in the sweet 16. Coach Taylor would be my favorite, but tony and Walt were better characters. The millennial bracket is meh. Scene stealers... Ron over Dwight, barely. Wildcard is Omar. Omar wins it in the finals over Tony.

willeyeam

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:32 pm

Don Draper is definitely up there. This is tough because I haven't seen all the shows like The Wire and Sopranos and some others. But off the cuff my top 4 would be something like

Michael Scott
Walter White
Don Draper
Ari Gold

willeyeam

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 pm

HM: Coach T, Arya Stark, Riggins, Barney Stinson, Ron Swanson

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:28 am

Tiger King... **** do I hate humanity sometimes. How do these people exist? How are they all not in jail? Was this low key actually a documentary about the need for stricter gun laws because how the **** are any of these people legally allowed to own cats let alone the number of firearms they recklessly wield on a daily basis (hint: they probably don't own them legally).
I'm not one of Joe's despised "animal rights people", but I abhor big cat ownership and roadside zoos and cub petting and all of that ****. It's **** horrible and exploitative and shouldn't exist. We actually went to Big Cat Rescue like five years ago (had no idea about Carole's background or the fact that she's essentially the "nice" side of the same ugly business as all of these assclowns). It was a nice facility with plenty of space for the animals, many of which had injuries and health problems and were rescued not just from roadside zoos, but situations like "Chicago crack dealer's Guard Tiger". While she is a shitbag, BCR does do veterinary and zoological internship programs with University of Tampa and University of Florida that might maybe make it a somewhat worthwhile place, but in reality none of these places should exist and any similar animal ownership should be limited to zoos or conservatories where legitimate zoological, biological, and conservation endeavors are undertaken.

As for the rest of my thoughts in semi-descending order of person awfulness...

- Jeff Lowe - absolute piece of **** garbage human being. He'll get what's coming to him soon enough. "Dresses like he tries to **** high school girls" is probably the most accurate description I saw online.
- Carole Baskin - Absolute 100% murdered her husband. Maybe with some conveniently placed sardine oil. Just pulled that idea right out of thin air Carole? Did you maybe throw some on your husband before he left "early early early" for Miami? Completely exploits people who do care about animals by making them volunteer on a full-time basis.
- Doc Antle - fake doctor teenage girl sex cult leader using cubs to lure in his prey/workers. Has money and a functioning brain so he's better insulated than Joe, but he's a complete sleazeball and definitely is hiding some dark ****. Has a bleach blonde soul patch.
- Joe Exotic - completely set up by Jeff and I kind of felt bad for him at the end.... until I remembered all of the horrible **** he did, how he **** his parents out of their money, how he was a sexual predator using drug availability to prey on straight teenage boys, etc etc. I hope he rolls on everyone in the "industry" and the entire thing collapses. The two moments toward the end where he tears up talking about how happy his chimps were to have a new place to actually live a decent life and how he deprived them of that for 10 years and the old news clip where he talks about how these animals have a place where they belong and it's not Oklahoma shows the threads of a decent, once well-intentioned person who lost his way due to the lure of money, probably mental health issues, drug issues, and an obsession with "that dodint down in Florida". Didn't have the intelligence to survive in an incredibly shady and corrupt line of business.
- Shirtless Dude with the monkey - dadhole. Has definitely killed someone.
- Chucky Doll Strip Club Owner - **** narc con artist that looks exactly like what I would have thought an Oklahoma strip club owner looked like.
- Tony Montana - how the hell is real life Scarface so far down this list? Probably because he already did his time and his crimes weren't the focus of the documentary, but it really hammers home how awful the rest of the people are.
- Jeff's Right Hand Man - god damn are we really talking this open and honestly and getting paid to go murdered someone? Definitely a psychopath. Why was he drawing himself a bath?
- Rick Kirkham - provided some great insight and definitely has a good speaking presence, but has his own shitty past and
- Howard Baskin - definitely still a virgin.
- Campaign Manager - hates his life
- Saff - one and a half arm legend returning to work after five days.
- Reinke - not squeaky clean, but seemed like a decent enough dude trying to make his way through life and keep the zoo running despite all the chaos around him.
Cowey - hated the people, loved the animals, kept them as well fed and maintained as he possibly could and was visibly heartbroken by Joe murdering the tigers.
I couldn't take it and started watching it yesterday evening. I'm about halfway through, but I might have to go back and rewatch episodes 2 and 3, and your list of person awfulness is spot on.
Carol definitely fed her husband to the tigers. 100%. There's just too much "don't give a **** about him" vibe from her.
Unless there's something coming up in one of the episodes I haven't seen yet, Jeff Lowe will definitely get his. From what I remember in one of the episodes, he was already behind on his Ferrari payments and was in financial trouble. Dude seems like a big sleazeball that has a very short shelf life with friends.
If there is a part two or a followup to this documentary, I can see it being about Lowe or possibly Doc. Like you said, he's hiding something dark. I'm surprised the one girl that left doesn't have any sort of deep, incriminating dirt on him. Or maybe she did and nothing was able to be proven since she has been away since the late 2000s.

Kirkham seemed like an alright dude, just somebody who was there to do his job. What was his shitty past?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:54 am

Tiger King... **** do I hate humanity sometimes. How do these people exist? How are they all not in jail? Was this low key actually a documentary about the need for stricter gun laws because how the **** are any of these people legally allowed to own cats let alone the number of firearms they recklessly wield on a daily basis (hint: they probably don't own them legally).
I'm not one of Joe's despised "animal rights people", but I abhor big cat ownership and roadside zoos and cub petting and all of that ****. It's **** horrible and exploitative and shouldn't exist. We actually went to Big Cat Rescue like five years ago (had no idea about Carole's background or the fact that she's essentially the "nice" side of the same ugly business as all of these assclowns). It was a nice facility with plenty of space for the animals, many of which had injuries and health problems and were rescued not just from roadside zoos, but situations like "Chicago crack dealer's Guard Tiger". While she is a shitbag, BCR does do veterinary and zoological internship programs with University of Tampa and University of Florida that might maybe make it a somewhat worthwhile place, but in reality none of these places should exist and any similar animal ownership should be limited to zoos or conservatories where legitimate zoological, biological, and conservation endeavors are undertaken.

As for the rest of my thoughts in semi-descending order of person awfulness...

- Jeff Lowe - absolute piece of **** garbage human being. He'll get what's coming to him soon enough. "Dresses like he tries to **** high school girls" is probably the most accurate description I saw online.
- Carole Baskin - Absolute 100% murdered her husband. Maybe with some conveniently placed sardine oil. Just pulled that idea right out of thin air Carole? Did you maybe throw some on your husband before he left "early early early" for Miami? Completely exploits people who do care about animals by making them volunteer on a full-time basis.
- Doc Antle - fake doctor teenage girl sex cult leader using cubs to lure in his prey/workers. Has money and a functioning brain so he's better insulated than Joe, but he's a complete sleazeball and definitely is hiding some dark ****. Has a bleach blonde soul patch.
- Joe Exotic - completely set up by Jeff and I kind of felt bad for him at the end.... until I remembered all of the horrible **** he did, how he **** his parents out of their money, how he was a sexual predator using drug availability to prey on straight teenage boys, etc etc. I hope he rolls on everyone in the "industry" and the entire thing collapses. The two moments toward the end where he tears up talking about how happy his chimps were to have a new place to actually live a decent life and how he deprived them of that for 10 years and the old news clip where he talks about how these animals have a place where they belong and it's not Oklahoma shows the threads of a decent, once well-intentioned person who lost his way due to the lure of money, probably mental health issues, drug issues, and an obsession with "that dodint down in Florida". Didn't have the intelligence to survive in an incredibly shady and corrupt line of business.
- Shirtless Dude with the monkey - dadhole. Has definitely killed someone.
- Chucky Doll Strip Club Owner - **** narc con artist that looks exactly like what I would have thought an Oklahoma strip club owner looked like.
- Tony Montana - how the hell is real life Scarface so far down this list? Probably because he already did his time and his crimes weren't the focus of the documentary, but it really hammers home how awful the rest of the people are.
- Jeff's Right Hand Man - god damn are we really talking this open and honestly and getting paid to go murdered someone? Definitely a psychopath. Why was he drawing himself a bath?
- Rick Kirkham - provided some great insight and definitely has a good speaking presence, but has his own shitty past and
- Howard Baskin - definitely still a virgin.
- Campaign Manager - hates his life
- Saff - one and a half arm legend returning to work after five days.
- Reinke - not squeaky clean, but seemed like a decent enough dude trying to make his way through life and keep the zoo running despite all the chaos around him.
Cowey - hated the people, loved the animals, kept them as well fed and maintained as he possibly could and was visibly heartbroken by Joe murdering the tigers.
I couldn't take it and started watching it yesterday evening. I'm about halfway through, but I might have to go back and rewatch episodes 2 and 3, and your list of person awfulness is spot on.
Carol definitely fed her husband to the tigers. 100%. There's just too much "don't give a **** about him" vibe from her.
Unless there's something coming up in one of the episodes I haven't seen yet, Jeff Lowe will definitely get his. From what I remember in one of the episodes, he was already behind on his Ferrari payments and was in financial trouble. Dude seems like a big sleazeball that has a very short shelf life with friends.
If there is a part two or a followup to this documentary, I can see it being about Lowe or possibly Doc. Like you said, he's hiding something dark. I'm surprised the one girl that left doesn't have any sort of deep, incriminating dirt on him. Or maybe she did and nothing was able to be proven since she has been away since the late 2000s.

Kirkham seemed like an alright dude, just somebody who was there to do his job. What was his shitty past?

- I had read that Kirkham had sexual assault allegations against him from back in the day, but I can’t find anything to verify that. Looks like his past is limited to rampant crack addiction. I liked him and the perspective he brought as an outsider witnessing the constant daily car wreck.

- A Joe Exotic podcast came out earlier this year and the stuff I’ve read from people who listened indicated that it takes a deep dive into the frequent animal abuse going on at Joe’s zoo. Abuse that was public to the level that there’s no chance my three “good guys” wouldn’t have known about or participated in, which certainly paints them in a different light if true.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:56 am

And Mayhem on the insurance commercials
You... you know that's not Christopher Meloni, right?
And yes, I know Dean Winters was a major player in Oz.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:03 am

Oh, I know. I just think of his character from Oz when I see those stupid commercials. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:05 pm

I think of his character in Rescue Me.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 pm

I think of his character in Rescue Me.
Same. He'll always be Denis Leary's brother to me.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 pm

That was a great show.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:10 pm

That was a great show.
I love(d) it but never finished. The writers strike back in 2007 or 2008 halted my first try. Then I started rewatching it again last year and trailed off. Not sure if it's me or the show.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:13 pm

How many seasons did you get through? I know that the final season started slow, but the finale was very good.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:15 pm

On a related note, I enjoyed The Job, too.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:21 pm

I went adrift somewhere early in Season 5.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Is Ozark a good show?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Yes

willeyeam

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:01 pm