Colossal TV Show thread

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Sunday, The Simpson's will air its 700th episode.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:29 am

Season 2 of Rick and Morty is one of the most flawless seasons of TV out there. Not a weak episode in the bunch.

Seasons 3 and 4 are too much “Rick is a living God” and season 1 is a little rough around the edges. But 2...perfect.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:15 pm

Sunday, The Simpson's will air its 700th episode.
I've been on a Simpsons kick recently. While some seasons are definitely better than others it's still got it. Even the new stuff, while not season 12 quality, are still fantastic.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:54 pm

I enjoyed the first episode of The Undoing, but do we really need five more hours to wrap up the painfully obvious plot twist? Slap 40 minutes on this thing and let’s call it a movie.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:38 am

I'm halfway through S02 of The Wire. While I appreciate the platinum level rack on Nicky's girlfriend, I'm hoping that McNulty finds his way onto the new task force soon.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:48 am

I enjoyed the first episode of The Undoing, but do we really need five more hours to wrap up the painfully obvious plot twist? Slap 40 minutes on this thing and let’s call it a movie.
I enjoyed that series overall but it wasn't exactly memorable. It was a pretty run-of-the-mill HBO crime mystery.

Speaking of crime, we just finished The Murders at White House Farm. It was okay. I think the fact that it's a true story actually held them back from creating a satisfying resolution. I enjoyed the procedural aspect of it, and it was fun to see Robert Baratheon in a different role. Mild recommend if you enjoy true crime and are out of shows to watch.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 pm

Was the finale of Silicon Valley as bad as it seemed?
This happened during my hiatus and middleditch being a grosso at bars reminded me...

Yeah, so the finale of Silicon Valley, much like Game of Thrones, completely ruined everything that preceded it. The final season as a whole was just a big pile of crap that I can't believe Mike Judge signed off on. But the finale in particular...both the, "oh well, guess nothing actually mattered at all. ever." but even the execution of how they foiled their own plan with the rats or whatever it was and how they just don't understand what AI is and how everything could have easily been mitigated through basic software updates but oh well just scrap the whole algorithm...it's all just so so bad. nothing about it was authentic or technically accurate or enjoyable or gratifying. who was that for? are there people sitting at home like, "ahhhh right, this is enjoyable because all of the hopes and dreams of characters i care about went away for frivolous reasons".

also...the product itself. all it was was a server-less internet. which actually does very very little to alter the tech landscape. you're solving a problem for something that's currently very cheap and very functional.

this f***ing show. would have liked to re-watch in a couple years. but they really D&D'd themselves with the ending.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Watched the first Watchmen episode last night. Wow, that was not what I was expecting and I still am not really sure what's going on, but I liked it. I'm not real familiar with the comics, but have seen the movie and noticed those characters in the background on the tv show in the show. Are these all new characters? What's happening here? They showed Dr Manhattan on the TV so I was a little confused.
Spoilered for anyone else who hasn't started watching yet, but nothing related to what will happen in the show....
- The show ties directly into the comic, but seeing the movie is enough. The ONE big difference is that the end of the movie used a fake attack by Dr. Manhattan to unite the world against their common enemy and end the threat of nuclear war. The comic instead uses a fake attack by a telekinetic alien squid that was created and engineered by Adrian Veidt, hence the raining squid situation in the first episode.

- In the comic Dr. Manhattan **** off to Mars to try to create his own version of life. What was shown on the TV in E1 was footage of him dicking around on Mars.

- The TV show within the show is essentially the shows version of "Tales of the Black Freighter", which was the comic within the comic. It's called American Hero Story and is essentially a sensationalized version of true events related to the founding of The Minutemen, which was the first superhero group. The show is focusing on Hooded Justice, who was the first masked vigilante.
The main characters of the show are new, but some of the originals will pop up. The only thing I can really encourage is to avoid spoilers and enjoy the ride (especially with Jeremy Irons). The work they put in to unfolding the story and tying everything together is incredible. The entire nine episode run is fantastic, but two of the episodes are honestly top five episodes of television that I've ever watched.
Also happened on my hiatus and I have thoughts.

You're right to praise the show. It was such an amazingly unique experience and I love everything about it.

until...
Cal as dr manhattan was silly nonsense. the makeup was silly nonsense. and the fact that everything of consequence in the universe was taking place in the town square of Tulsa Oklahoma was silly nonsense. Lindeloff botched the ending on this one. He took Dr Manhattan and cucked him. There was no reason he would have been drawn to Regina King. The stated reason wasn't convincing and the whole thing was just a plot device. I also think it's telling how what's her name from Designing Women actually had no role to play. Why was she there? The story plays out the same way without her. They couldn't have had her do anything heroic?
But the Jeremy Irons stuff and the world-building overall was so incredibly special that I'll still give it high marks. It's just the ending was dumb, and requires a season 2 (which won't come) to undo the Lindeloff

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:13 pm

Watched the first Watchmen episode last night. Wow, that was not what I was expecting and I still am not really sure what's going on, but I liked it. I'm not real familiar with the comics, but have seen the movie and noticed those characters in the background on the tv show in the show. Are these all new characters? What's happening here? They showed Dr Manhattan on the TV so I was a little confused.
Spoilered for anyone else who hasn't started watching yet, but nothing related to what will happen in the show....
- The show ties directly into the comic, but seeing the movie is enough. The ONE big difference is that the end of the movie used a fake attack by Dr. Manhattan to unite the world against their common enemy and end the threat of nuclear war. The comic instead uses a fake attack by a telekinetic alien squid that was created and engineered by Adrian Veidt, hence the raining squid situation in the first episode.

- In the comic Dr. Manhattan **** off to Mars to try to create his own version of life. What was shown on the TV in E1 was footage of him dicking around on Mars.

- The TV show within the show is essentially the shows version of "Tales of the Black Freighter", which was the comic within the comic. It's called American Hero Story and is essentially a sensationalized version of true events related to the founding of The Minutemen, which was the first superhero group. The show is focusing on Hooded Justice, who was the first masked vigilante.
The main characters of the show are new, but some of the originals will pop up. The only thing I can really encourage is to avoid spoilers and enjoy the ride (especially with Jeremy Irons). The work they put in to unfolding the story and tying everything together is incredible. The entire nine episode run is fantastic, but two of the episodes are honestly top five episodes of television that I've ever watched.

You're right to praise the show. It was such an amazingly unique experience and I love everything about it.

until...
Cal as dr manhattan was silly nonsense. the makeup was silly nonsense. and the fact that everything of consequence in the universe was taking place in the town square of Tulsa Oklahoma was silly nonsense. Lindeloff botched the ending on this one. He took Dr Manhattan and cucked him. There was no reason he would have been drawn to Regina King. The stated reason wasn't convincing and the whole thing was just a plot device. I also think it's telling how what's her name from Designing Women actually had no role to play. Why was she there? The story plays out the same way without her. They couldn't have had her do anything heroic?
But the Jeremy Irons stuff and the world-building overall was so incredibly special that I'll still give it high marks. It's just the ending was dumb, and requires a season 2 (which won't come) to undo the Lindeloff
I loved it from start to finish, including your complaint.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Wife and I started Yellowstone a couple weeks ago. It's going to be a struggle to get through a season, let alone the series. I'm surprised it lasted more than a season TBH.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:22 pm

until...
I loved it from start to finish, including your complaint.
if it was sort of a macguffin that Dr. M was who he was, and that he could transfer himself along to someone else as a dread pirate robbins thing, ok. that's fine. he discovered the next layer of existence and we the audience need to keep up. and then if there was a season 2, we can talk about things like how a virtuous person would perform as Dr M. fun.

so maybe it's all good. jean smart though...a good character squandered.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:01 pm

We love Yellowstone. It’s very raw but enjoyable

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Was the finale of Silicon Valley as bad as it seemed?
This happened during my hiatus and middleditch being a grosso at bars reminded me...

Yeah, so the finale of Silicon Valley, much like Game of Thrones, completely ruined everything that preceded it. The final season as a whole was just a big pile of crap that I can't believe Mike Judge signed off on. But the finale in particular...both the, "oh well, guess nothing actually mattered at all. ever." but even the execution of how they foiled their own plan with the rats or whatever it was and how they just don't understand what AI is and how everything could have easily been mitigated through basic software updates but oh well just scrap the whole algorithm...it's all just so so bad. nothing about it was authentic or technically accurate or enjoyable or gratifying. who was that for? are there people sitting at home like, "ahhhh right, this is enjoyable because all of the hopes and dreams of characters i care about went away for frivolous reasons".

also...the product itself. all it was was a server-less internet. which actually does very very little to alter the tech landscape. you're solving a problem for something that's currently very cheap and very functional.

this f***ing show. would have liked to re-watch in a couple years. but they really D&D'd themselves with the ending.
I'd disagree with the finale ruining everything that preceded it. Then again, like most comedies, the plot is just there as a vehicle to deliver jokes. The jokes still land. I honestly never really got too invested in the plot of the show.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 pm

The jerk off gag at the end of season 1 could have been a 5 minute youtube if story telling wasn’t a component of comedy writing.

There was obviously a lot of care put into that up until the last season. They wanted you to care about more than just laughing. The characters matter. The plot matters. It has to be worth your time, otherwise you can just pick your favorite gags and watch whatever clips you want whenever.

But that’s not what it was. They built up an actual story and then just noped out at the end.

I understand why GoT fell apart. I don’t understand why everyone was so eager to move on from this one, though. Did Mike Judge quit half way through the last season or something?

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm

We love Yellowstone. It’s very raw but enjoyable
Too predicable. You just know something horrific is going to happen, and lo and behold, it happens. For example
In the span of 3-4 shows, the main character loses a son, another son is wanted for murder, finds out he has colon cancer, and nearly drowns his grandson. And I'm probably missing 1-2 things

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:19 pm

Didn't know there were other Silicon Valley fans here. I haven't watched the last half of the final season yet and it appears I probably won't. It definitely looked like it was heading that way.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:51 pm

I think Zerozerozero is going to be great, I fell asleep because I started it too late, but I'm excited to go back to it. It's on Amazon

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:08 pm

Didn't know there were other Silicon Valley fans here. I haven't watched the last half of the final season yet and it appears I probably won't. It definitely looked like it was heading that way.
the worst thing about it is that even in the penultimate episode, they have a big heartfelt save the day moment to try to make it all work. and it was again like "F YEAH!!! THEYRE GONNA DO IT". then one episode later and it's jklol who cares about anything.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:10 pm

I honestly think Ehrlich was more important to the show than I would have thought.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm

This just in... Dr. Oz is horrible as the latest Jeopardy fill in host.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:17 pm

This just in... Dr. Oz is horrible.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:30 pm

I think Zerozerozero is going to be great, I fell asleep because I started it too late, but I'm excited to go back to it. It's on Amazon
Yeah heard good things. It's in the queue. Question is,when will I ever get to it

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm

Just finished the entire series of Fresh Prince of Belair. It's been a while since I watched, but man did I love that show and it still stands as one of the better shows even today IMO. I can't believe season 1 aired 30 years ago. Young me had a crush on Ashley during season 5 and 6.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Hah, NAN. HBO Max?
I'm on S5E10, so almost close to the end. Was happy to find there were a handful of episodes that I've never seen.

And yeah, same for me w/Ashley.

Have you watched the reunion show?

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Hah, NAN. HBO Max?
I'm on S5E10, so almost close to the end. Was happy to find there were a handful of episodes that I've never seen.

And yeah, same for me w/Ashley.

Have you watched the reunion show?
Yep, HBOMax. And yes, I did watch the reunion show. I watched it when it came out and that's what got me to watch the series. And then I watched it again after the series because they referenced some stuff I totally forgot.

If you didn't watch it, it's definitely worth it IMO. The cast still looks pretty good overall 30 years later too. I was crushed when Uncle Phil died a few years ago. He was one of my favorite.