Colossal TV Show thread

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 am

the first episode of Chernobyl was terrifying. Very well done. Wow, this is going to be some series.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:31 am

We finished episode 3 last night. It's very good.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 am

finally got around to watching the S1 finale of Big Little Lies and while the twist was pretty good, I realized why it took me a year to watch it, I don't like this show very much. I don't think I like any of the characters, I had to ask who everyone is, because they all seem like the same person and the spousal abuse stuff is disturbing and makes me uncomfortable watching a show that tries and makes you want to attach to these people. Wife says the book is waaaay better (surprise)

watched 2 episodes of Schitts Creek and it's the real deal, I laughed a lot and I hope it continues to be this good through 4 seasons.
- I powered through Big Little Lies primarily because I would greatly like to have sex with most (all?) of the actresses in the show, but it took us forever to get through the show, primarily because as you said everyone in the show is so unlikable.

- Schitt's Creek will remain that good, if not better.
Big Little Lies is a mediocre show that was saved by Nicole Kidman’s acting and storyline. It’s a tonal mess, the characters aren’t relatable, the story lines are mostly low stakes because of how silly the characters are, and unless you live in a beach mansion in SoCal or you treat this as some kind of lifestyle fantasy like a female Entourage, this show basically sucks.

With that said, I will be forced to grit my teeth and watch season 2 with mrs shmenguin, and I will do the right thing and nod and say, “yeah, that was good”.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

finally got around to watching the S1 finale of Big Little Lies and while the twist was pretty good, I realized why it took me a year to watch it, I don't like this show very much. I don't think I like any of the characters, I had to ask who everyone is, because they all seem like the same person and the spousal abuse stuff is disturbing and makes me uncomfortable watching a show that tries and makes you want to attach to these people. Wife says the book is waaaay better (surprise)

watched 2 episodes of Schitts Creek and it's the real deal, I laughed a lot and I hope it continues to be this good through 4 seasons.
- I powered through Big Little Lies primarily because I would greatly like to have sex with most (all?) of the actresses in the show, but it took us forever to get through the show, primarily because as you said everyone in the show is so unlikable.

- Schitt's Creek will remain that good, if not better.
Big Little Lies is a mediocre show that was saved by Nicole Kidman’s acting and storyline. It’s a tonal mess, the characters aren’t relatable, the story lines are mostly low stakes because of how silly the characters are, and unless you live in a beach mansion in SoCal or you treat this as some kind of lifestyle fantasy like a female Entourage, this show basically sucks.

With that said, I will be forced to grit my teeth and watch season 2 with mrs shmenguin, and I will do the right thing and nod and say, “yeah, that was good”.
Agreed.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 am

Not to mention they ran out of source material and already closed out the only interesting plot from last year. This is gonna be painful.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 am

I think i'm bailing on 2nd season, I don't think the wife will be able to do Chernobyl after the 1st episode so that will work out. I think the 2nd season has Meryl Street as Eric the vampires mom and is investigating what happened to him? I don't get how this is going to be interesting, I mean they can just tell the truth of what happened to the police and nothing should happen

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:29 am

We finished episode 3 last night. It's very good.
My take was that the first three episodes together, were maybe the best thing I've ever seen on TV.

The 4th episode didn't do anything for me, but the finale was solid.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:44 am

Anybody watching NOS4A2 on AMC? I'm a fan of Joe Hill so I've been meaning to check it out. I can't get past how cheesy it looks, though.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:28 am

I think i'm bailing on 2nd season, I don't think the wife will be able to do Chernobyl after the 1st episode so that will work out. I think the 2nd season has Meryl Street as Eric the vampires mom and is investigating what happened to him? I don't get how this is going to be interesting, I mean they can just tell the truth of what happened to the police and nothing should happen
Yeah, there’s just no story there. I can’t picture the path for “mother of wife beating rapist who wants justice for her son’s death”. She’s going to what...try to wreck the lives of the women he abused because they killed him in self defense? That’s cartoonishly nonsensical.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:37 am

I watched the first season with my wife. The music was good.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am

The cast in schitts Creek is so good. The kids are hilarious. I like how that's Eugene Levy's real son and Twyla is his daughter.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:42 am

Annie Murphy is the underrated MVP, so good.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am

Annie Murphy is the underrated MVP, so good.
Completely agree. She's terrific.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 pm

got around to season 5 of Black Mirror. Dreadful, dreadful 3 hours of television. Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too might be the worst episode in television history. Felt like an "edgy" teen movie. Striking Vipers was pretty bad too; only positive about the episode was Pom (who I'm not convinced is a good actress but she's at least very cute)
We just finished it. Holy **** that was the worst two hours of television I’ve ever seen. The second episode wasn’t bad, just wasn’t good either. But damn striking vipers and Miley’s episode were terrible.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Spangler » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Can you imagine working for that boss in the Cherynobl plant? Unreal. The guy who played him was excellent.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Started watching Sopranos from the beginning. My god is the pacing slow. I don’t remember it being like this.
I enjoyed the Sopranos, but didn’t love the Sopranos.
On the last season. The dream sequences are awful. Just the worst. The Test Dream I forgot is one of the worst episodes of this series and I now remember almost stopped watching the show during the initial run due to that episode. Luckily I can skip all that bullshit with technology now.

The early seasons dreams seemed to add to the story. These are just over inflated jerk off fests aimed at trying to portray a deeper meaning in a sociopath. No thank you.

Other than the dreams the pacing sorted itself out right about when Tony’s mom died.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:23 am

Source of the post Tony’s mom died.
I still have nightmares about CGI Tony's mom.

Terrifying.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Daredevil's Epic One-Shot Hallway Fight isn't Eligible for a Stunt Emmy Because It’s Too Long
Netflix's Daredevil may not be returning to future seasons, but the popular Marvel series remains popular among fans who, if they can't somehow save the series, want to see it get the awards recognition it deserves. However, if they were hoping to see the epic one-shot hallway fight scene in contention for stunt Emmy Award, they're going to be disappointed. It turns out, the scene isn't eligible.

On Twitter, a fan was discussing the quality of the sequence and how it was an issue for them that the scene wasn't on the Emmy ballot. Series showrunner Erik Oleson soon chimed in with an explanation: the scene in full was too long to be submitted.

Ronin #savedaredevil
‏ @RoninSaveDD
23h23 hours ago

Right?! I love that @erikoleson brightened it so any doubters could clearly see it was a one shot. THAT ISH IS EMMY WORTHY. This better be a clerical error because any other excuse is unacceptable.
2 replies 0 retweets 16 likes

Erik Oleson
‏ @erikoleson
Replying to @RoninSaveDD @BrooklynMND

The TV Academy would only allow a three minute clip, so, unfortunately, that epic oner was not eligible to be shown for stunts consideration.
:face:

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm

I agree that it is too long.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes,ok, I'm only half-serious. The hallway fight was pretty good. Overall, though, I found the endless figthing scenes to be a bit tiresome. Or maybe I'm just not that into figthing scenes.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Started watching Sopranos from the beginning. My god is the pacing slow. I don’t remember it being like this.
I enjoyed the Sopranos, but didn’t love the Sopranos.
On the last season. The dream sequences are awful. Just the worst. The Test Dream I forgot is one of the worst episodes of this series and I now remember almost stopped watching the show during the initial run due to that episode. Luckily I can skip all that bullshit with technology now.

The early seasons dreams seemed to add to the story. These are just over inflated jerk off fests aimed at trying to portray a deeper meaning in a sociopath. No thank you.

Other than the dreams the pacing sorted itself out right about when Tony’s mom died.
They never knew what to do with Anthony Jr, his story lines just get worse and worse.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm

I think the B characters fell apart on that show. Aside from Christopher, they couldn’t exist in an interesting way without Tony. Whenever they flew solo, they floundered. Johnny Cakes, Carmella + Furio, anything with the kids or the wives or Melfi...not great.

Gandolfini really did more heavy lifting than I thought on first watch.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Chernobyl breaking streaming records for HBO: https://deadline.com/2019/06/chernobyl- ... 202631705/

Most telling is the pushback from the Russian government, who whitewashes the Soviet Union era, is blasting the series and plans to make one with a CIA operative being behind the meltdown.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Chernobyl breaking streaming records for HBO: https://deadline.com/2019/06/chernobyl- ... 202631705/

Most telling is the pushback from the Russian government, who whitewashes the Soviet Union era, is blasting the series and plans to make one with a CIA operative being behind the meltdown.
https://twitter.com/L0RDRAJA/status/1139214797839437826