Colossal TV Show thread

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Where the **** is the Deadwood movie? They're not even thinking about starting shooting until Fall 2018? C'mon man.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Was thinking, “how could they mess up LoTR?” Then I remembered they pretty much hit a home run with every part of the movie production. Home runs are not guaranteed.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:51 pm

@Silentom: I had a few spare moments.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:52 pm

My man. :thumb:

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm getting the DVDs out of the basement and watching the whole damn series again from start to finish.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 am

Wild Wild Country documentary on Netflix is very interesting. Story of Indian guru Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh moving his cult to a small town in Oregon where all hell breaks lose. Wow is this a fascinating story, I don't remember any of this. Must watch.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Been watching The Good Place. It has a lot of potential but I worry about the longevity of the premise. Plus it's frustrating to get into a new fall comedy only to have it cancelled after it's first season. I'm looking at you, Marry Me.
I eventually checked this out after a bunch of recommendations from people's whose opinions I trust, who all basically said the same thing, that being "It's much better than you'd think it'd be based off the TV-spots." I ended up getting through the first season in two days. Good show! However, only the 1st season is on Netflix for whatever reason, so now I'm left twisting in the wind.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Been watching The Good Place. It has a lot of potential but I worry about the longevity of the premise. Plus it's frustrating to get into a new fall comedy only to have it cancelled after it's first season. I'm looking at you, Marry Me.
I eventually checked this out after a bunch of recommendations from people's whose opinions I trust, who all basically said the same thing, that being "It's much better than you'd think it'd be based off the TV-spots." I ended up getting through the first season in two days. Good show! However, only the 1st season is on Netflix for whatever reason, so now I'm left twisting in the wind.
Second season just ended in February. Could probably catch it on Hulu.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Should probably get me some of that Hulu stuff.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 pm

It's nice that my concern for the premise never came to be. The show runners knew that as well and completely flipped the story in the second season, which worked really well and kept everything fresh. Also nice that the show is popular and will continue, at least for the foreseeable future.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm

trailer to netflix doc I mentioned earlier, anyone remember this?

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 am

half way through that doc and I'm pretty sure I'm on the Rajneesh side. I know something completely crazy is coming to change my mind on these people, but there is no way I can side with these good ol boy merican christians after seeing what I've seen so far.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:01 pm

:lol:

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Why is that a thing?

Well, I know why. Hollywood is afraid of creative ideas and neither actor had anything better to do.

But why?

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 pm

looks ridiculous and I want to watch it

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:18 am

Finally finished The Office last night. I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the finale after years of hearing about how great it was. Goodbye, Michael was a much better and more heartfelt episode. I haven't done much research on the show since I wanted to avoid spoilers, but I'm guessing I'm not alone in wishing it had ended with season 7. Season 8 and 9 had a few great moments sprinkled in, but it never recovered after Carell left.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:19 am

Source of the post I'm guessing I'm not alone in wishing it had ended with season 7. Season 8 and 9 had a few great moments sprinkled in, but it never recovered after Carell left.
100% agree with this.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Was thinking, “how could they mess up LoTR?” Then I remembered they pretty much hit a home run with every part of the movie production. Home runs are not guaranteed.
The original LOTR trilogy is probably the best film trilogy ever created, IMO. It's incredible how all three films maintained such a seemingly unsustainable degree of excellence.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Finally finished The Office last night. I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the finale after years of hearing about how great it was. Goodbye, Michael was a much better and more heartfelt episode. I haven't done much research on the show since I wanted to avoid spoilers, but I'm guessing I'm not alone in wishing it had ended with season 7. Season 8 and 9 had a few great moments sprinkled in, but it never recovered after Carell left.
The finale was sort of strange with the documentary angle, but I still think it was exceptional.

Goodbye Michael is problematic for me because Michael Scott was neither a good boss nor a good person. He was a real shithead, actually. But also an imbecile...which gives him a pass? He didn’t deserve a hero’s send off. He only got one because he was the main character.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Goodbye Michael is problematic for me because Michael Scott was neither a good boss nor a good person. He was a real shithead, actually. But also an imbecile...which gives him a pass? He didn’t deserve a hero’s send off. He only got one because he was the main character.
Man I really disagree with this. There were many moments that showed Michael as both a good person and a good boss. Yes, he was an imbecile but he always had a good heart. Exhibit A being my favorite moment from the entire show: Michael at Pam's art show. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3afq11

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm

I agree. He definitely skirted the line of "good person," but they always brought him back to having a good heart. Certainly misguided at times, but not mean. There were also instances where he was portrayed as a good boss and good for the company.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Man I really disagree with this. There were many moments that showed Michael as both a good person and a good boss. Yes, he was an imbecile but he always had a good heart. Exhibit A being my favorite moment from the entire show: Michael at Pam's art show. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3afq11
“Always” has a good heart is veeeeery dubious.

-Tried very hard to ruin Phyllis’ wedding.
-Made lude comments to his female coworkers (and beyond just comments)
-Was genuinely repulsed by his staff’s physical traits and personal lives
-Exposed himself to Pam
-Made his staff work extra hours so he could goof off
-Toby. Nuff said.
-Banged pam’s Mom
-Ruined the merge and possibly people’s careers because of petty nonsense
-Secret Santa anyone?
-Scott’s tots (try to not remember this one. It’s painful)

And there’s more. So so much more. He wasn’t a good guy. At best he was a neutral guy who lived a very ignorant and unintentionally offensive life. Pam’s art show is actually one of the few selfless acts he did the entire run of the series.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:40 pm

His approval seeking was pathological.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:45 pm

And come on, Toby is the worst.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm

“Always” has a good heart is veeeeery dubious.

-Tried very hard to ruin Phyllis’ wedding.
-Made lude comments to his female coworkers (and beyond just comments)
-Was genuinely repulsed by his staff’s physical traits and personal lives
-Exposed himself to Pam
-Made his staff work extra hours so he could goof off
-Toby. Nuff said.
-Banged pam’s Mom
-Ruined the merge and possibly people’s careers because of petty nonsense
-Secret Santa anyone?
-Scott’s tots (try to not remember this one. It’s painful)

And there’s more. So so much more. He wasn’t a good guy. At best he was a neutral guy who lived a very ignorant and unintentionally offensive life. Pam’s art show is actually one of the few selfless acts he did the entire run of the series.
I'm impressed. This is actually your worst post so far. Congrats.

Michael Scott changed greatly after season one (I only passively rewatch S1) and was a good person. He was a juvenille imbecile constantly seeking attention, approval, and acceptance, but he was generally a good person and cared about the people who worked for him.

-Tried very hard to ruin Phyllis’ wedding. No he didn't. He wanted to be involved, is an idiot, apologized, and she used it to get a longer honeymoon.
-Made lude comments to his female coworkers (and beyond just comments) He's an idiot
-Was genuinely repulsed by his staff’s physical traits and personal lives Who isn't?
-Exposed himself to Pam So would I. From what I remember it wasn't intentional
-Made his staff work extra hours so he could goof off His staff goofed off all the time as well.
-Toby. Nuff said. Toby is terrible.
-Banged pam’s Mom So would I.
-Ruined the merge and possibly people’s careers because of petty nonsense 100% wrong
-Secret Santa anyone? He's an idiot.
-Scott’s tots (try to not remember this one. It’s painful) He just wanted to help. He's also an idiot.