Colossal TV Show thread

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:36 pm

No Dickie! No!

Arya killed the night king which made no sense. Theon pulled a Gob Bluth diversion that gave Bran 3 extra seconds to sit there. Bran literally did nothing for an hour. Battle tactics made no sense. White Walkers had no mythology or goal after all. Melissandre didn’t actually make any difference. People were hanging in the tombs, fully aware that dead people were actively rising, Jon was cucked the entire time, all your favorite characters were surrounded by unkillable zombies at some point, but survived off camera.

I refuse your gaslighting, sir. Abject garbage.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:36 pm

finishing Dark really screwed me up. i don't know where to go from here. that show was magic. i haven't seen Mr Robot yet. maybe that's something. but i don't like going into a show where i've heard an entire season is a write off, which I've heard about Mr R.

...that void when you're done with a quality show and nothing is on deck. hate it
Pretty sure you've already seen these, but I jumped right into The Shield, finished it, and am now on The Wire. Highly recommend both.
the lead actor in the Shield has the charisma and range of an unbaked potato. i know the show is acclaimed. i don't like that actor, though. it's a deal breaker for me.

the wire, i ran through in its original, pre-HD release.
Vic Mackey is the perfect character for him, though. That show made me want a dirty, cop killer to end up with everything. Makes no sense, but that’s how it was for me.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:48 pm

No Dickie! No!

Arya killed the night king which made no sense. Theon pulled a Gob Bluth diversion that gave Bran 3 extra seconds to sit there. Bran literally did nothing for an hour. Battle tactics made no sense. White Walkers had no mythology or goal after all. Melissandre didn’t actually make any difference. People were hanging in the tombs, fully aware that dead people were actively rising, Jon was cucked the entire time, all your favorite characters were surrounded by unkillable zombies at some point, but survived off camera.

I refuse your gaslighting, sir. Abject garbage.
I’m basing my assessment on IMDB episode scores, which were very obviously compiled the day of first airing.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:51 pm

people like you went to IMDB to vote on it the night it aired, and at the time thought dissenting opinions were just NTP66's with a keyboard

you will apologize!
Last edited by shmenguin on Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:52 pm

After re-watching GOT at the start of quarantine, I stand by my original assessment of seasons 7 and 8. They're rushed, they should've been better, but they are far from the worst thing to ever happen to a TV show. Some fans went full on "George Lucas raped my childhood" over the last season. Get a grip, kids.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:52 pm

ohmygodwhatishappening

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 pm

I think you and I had an argument at the time about it as well so we're nothing if not consistent. It absolutely should have been better and was a disservice to everything the series had established prior to season 7. But was it totally unwatchable or ruinous? Not at all.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:08 pm

so i'll revisit an argument that for some reason wasn't convincing in 2019. the bulk of the internet fanbase turned on GoT very quickly. r/freefolk is what i cited as evidence. it was rejected as an invalid sample, for some reason. shenanigans then, shenanigans now.

the broad, broad sentiment (as evidenced by the series' complete disappearance from popular culture) is that the last season was so bad that it invalidated everything before it. people don't care about the books being finished, no one is buying the blurays, nobody who was trapped in their own home for a year decided to re-watch the whole thing. it's been erased from the landscape and everyone involved with it is now irrelevant. it's a HISTORIC failure.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:17 pm

Yet HBO currently has two or three spinoffs in development. They wouldn't be doing that for a dead brand. I think you're overstating the importance of niche meme subreddits. Yes, there were fans that turned on it. There are also way more people who have never heard of Reddit who enjoyed it for what it is and couldn't give two shits about pacing or story decisions. I felt the hate was overblown at the time. I supposed there's a level of subjectivity to it, but as someone who recently re-watched the series, seasons 7 and 8 are not nearly as bad as people claim. The major change is in the pacing and I maintain that if they gave themselves more time to tell that EXACT same story, it would not have had the same level of pushback.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 pm

D&D were fired from Star Wars because of this.

And the spin offs are separate stories that will have capable show runners, yes? And it’s not connected to ASOIAF, right? Same world different time + characters? Then it’s not the same show, and people want bleach to clean up the last mess.

To say this show has any lasting cultural impact is really somethin.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:33 pm

They joined a long list of people who parted ways with Star Wars. Part of their reasoning was not wanting to be involved with more toxic fandom (this was around the time of The Last Jedi). Officially, they quit. They weren't fired.

Look, D&D should have been criticized for season eight. It was not good and was clearly the worst season of the show by far. They turned down extra time from HBO and instead chose to rush the story so they could move on to something new. They earned the criticism. People acting like it was some atrocity are overreacting and playing into the memes. The spinoffs wouldn't be happening if HBO thought the Game of Thrones brand was as damaged as the internet seems to think it is. The majority of people don't know who D&D are. The internet is a small subset of the Game of Thrones fanbase. Over 19 million people watched the finale. A little over 1 million people subscribe to r/freefolk.

willeyeam

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:35 pm

season 8 was great stuff

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:38 pm

R/freefolk is a proxy for devoted fans. It does mean something that the internet people hate the show.

I agree that the big beats were hit correctly for the most part, and that the rushed pace was the issue.

But if you make a good soup, but put goose poop in it as a garnish, is it edible? The pace and the missing plot in between beats is the poop in this example.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:43 pm

I have still never seen a single minute of GOT.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:04 pm

I'm of the opinion that the final two GOT seasons weren't terrible, but they were a huge missed opportunity caused by a case of epic laziness from the creative team. And for me, it definitely tarnished what came before. I was never a GOT fanatic but I enjoyed the show and couldn't wait to see where it was going. Leading up to each new season, I'd re-watch all of the prior episodes. After the finale season, I have no interest in watching any of it again.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:04 pm

And yet...

Mid eight figure, multi-year deal.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:08 pm

GRRM can write a story, though. And what he’s up to isnt ASOIAF. It’s adjacent stories. I’d watch.

I’d also watch if they re-did season 8 with the same cast and new writers. And 16 episodes. If they did this, fans would be in and merch money comes back big.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:38 pm

FINISH THE **** BOOKS BEFORE YOU TRY TO COME UP WITH NEW **** IDEAS.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:53 pm

People were hanging in the tombs, fully aware that dead people were actively rising
This was by far the dumbest and laziest part of the entire show. All they had to do was have a scence where they show them breaking up the old crypts and burning the bodies, but because they have been burying people there for so long some wights still show up because they didn't find them all. And no one of consequence even died down there so it was really all so stupid.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:34 pm

We bailed on Dead to Me. That show isn’t fun without some kind of wacky mystery. And there’s really something Amy Schumer-y happening to Christina Applegate and I choose to remember her as Kelly Bundy.

FlightlessBird

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby FlightlessBird » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:50 pm

Resident Alien is the best SyFy show since The Expanse.
I’ve watched 2 so far and I love it. I’ve been recommending it to everyone I know.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Alan Tudyk is just so damn good in it. The supporting cast is good, too - especially the sheriff. He cracks me up.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:05 pm

The Pacific ended up being excellent

GoT got ruined. But i can't tell if freefolk memes are the main reason i can't watch it again. Maybe some day though. I've gotta watch the great story of Bran again

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:30 am

The Superstore series finale was terrific.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:38 am

I liked the new mighty ducks show, cobra kai light was a good description. Smartass Coach Bombay is the highlight so far and I hope that continues.