Colossal TV Show thread

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:43 pm

I can only imagine the overblown nonsense that documentary is filled with.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:10 am

I thought it was going to be a Chornobyl clone, but it is more about the media misreporting the story and the poor communication from various agencies during the response.

It is probably the documentary style making these people look as bad as they do. Forboding music, close cropped shots of them staring forlornly out of windows, while sharing pensive recollections of that day 40 years ago when nothing happened to them.

It almost comes off as a parody.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:16 am

This was surprisingly good.

Watched it with my wife last night. We enjoyed it, but not enough to subscribe to another service to watch more.

The voices are a bit off (getting 30 years older will do that), and the modern animation works but is noticeably different.

Brilliant move having them watch TikToks instead of just music videos, so perfect. :lol:

shoeshine boy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:06 am

a bit bored this weekend so I cued up a few eps of Walking Dead. I'm one of a dozen people who've never watched that show. I'm maybe 6 eps in and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. I like the storylines but the zombie deaths are kind of bloody and gross to me. not sure if I want to stick that out.....

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:10 am

This was surprisingly good.

Watched it with my wife last night. We enjoyed it, but not enough to subscribe to another service to watch more.

The voices are a bit off (getting 30 years older will do that), and the modern animation works but is noticeably different.

Brilliant move having them watch TikToks instead of just music videos, so perfect. :lol:
Protip: I've had Paramount plus for 4 months and haven't paid a dime. Signed up under my email for the free month trial, near the end of the month they offered me another free month. Cancelled after that and used my wife's email for the free month and the same thing happened near the end of that initial trial. The sub is entirely tied to email so just use a new email when your trial ends.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:28 am

Just finished Fargo season 2.

Is the drop off that bad where I should just stop watching?
No.
Agree. I liked season 3. I did not like season 4.

Recently watched seasons 3 and 4.

I thought season 3 was great right up until
they have the woman hook up with the deaf hitman. So then all of a sudden they become a seal team six unit. Just a dumb way to drive the plot.
I liked season 4, I agree that the sort of chaos characters that make the first three seasons so cool aren't there/don't work in this one.
the escapees don't do that, and the Jessie Buckley's character is just not good. Also, Rock and Schwatzman in those roles do not work. I guess, that the show was watchable, even with those massive holes is a testament to the production and the writing. It's just a well done show.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:12 pm

The U.S. and the Holocaust is a three-part series that tells the story of how the American people grappled with one of the greatest humanitarian crises of the twentieth century, and how this struggle tested the ideals of our democracy. By examining events leading up to and during the Holocaust with fresh eyes, this film dispels the competing myths that Americans either were ignorant of what was happening to Jews in Europe, or that they merely looked on with callous indifference. The truth is much more nuanced and complicated, and the challenges that the American people confronted raise questions that remain essential to our society today: What is America’s role as a land of immigrants? What are the responsibilities of a nation to intervene in humanitarian crises? What should our leaders and the press do to shape public opinion? What can individuals do when governments fail to act?

Premiering on PBS September 18-20, 2022, The U.S. and the Holocaust is directed by Ken Burns, Lynn Novick & Sarah Botstein, written by Geoffrey C. Ward, story by Kevin Baker and produced by Burns, Novick, Botstein and Mike Welt. (6 hours)
Excited for this :thumb:

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:11 pm

Just finished We Own This City - superb show all around. I would love to see more content like this and The Wire, because it's all done so well, and the actors just nail their roles.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:22 pm

Just finished We Own This City - superb show all around. I would love to see more content like this and The Wire, because it's all done so well, and the actors just nail their roles.
We are halfway through We Own this City. Really good stuff. I mean really it's scary how corrupt things are in general, but the show and actors as you say just nail their roles.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:24 pm

I wish I had not seen all of those stories about Stranger Things and Metallica, because I have literally been waiting for that moment ever since. I have no idea how many episodes are in this season (don't tell me), and imagine I'm close. Thought it would happen in the last episode we watched, but no. I guess at this point I'm okay with being surprised when it happens.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:03 pm

Not sure what you're referring to. There's no Metallica moment in ST4.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:05 pm

I've watched the whole thing... I don't recall metallica making an appearance.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:06 pm

Not the actual band.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:07 pm

Does NTP thinks Metallica sings Running Up That Hill?

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:08 pm

I guess.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:08 pm

There's no way I'm the only one who saw all of the ST/Puppets headlines and stories...

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:10 pm

I think someone's taken the piss out of you.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:10 pm

meowshrug.gif

You never know. I'll find out soon enough, I guess.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:10 pm

:lol:

You're thinking of Kate Bush, dude... not Metallica.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:11 pm

I can confirm that the actual band Metallica does not show up in ST season 4. One of their songs however....

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:23 pm

Only Murders In The Building, Se2 Ep7
Okay, I did not see that coming.

Glitter Man had their backpack slung over their right shoulder, which implies left-handedness. They're also taller than average....... is Michael Rapaport left-handed? A NYPD cop could moonlight as an amusement park security guard where the employee locker room would be more or less vacant space during winter, and potentially also have the connections to make a blocks-wide blackout happen, and also have access to the Trio's phone numbers to be texting them.

(Speaking of Coney Island...... I wonder if powering things up for Theo's ankle LoJack also activated the security cameras.........)

Whoever the button man is, it leaves open the question of motive. In the first scene we meet him, Rapaport's cop even goes so far as to call the case something that will make his career, and what would be more of a slam dunk than framing a high-profile suspect? But what's the connection to the Rose Cooper painting? How does Lucy figure into all this? I rewatched scene in Ep 4 where Charles puts Lucy in the car ("No detours") where Glitter Man took the photo, but the only other person who's really in the scene is the car driver, who is anonymous afaik, and the camera's from a position that looks like it's either the BMW parked behind or maybe even a car across the street.
Like I don't f**king know A Chorus Line.............. (I'm like 75% convinced that moment was either unscripted, or at least wasn't known ahead of time to Martin and Martin. Thought that was excellent, no notes.)
im convinced it's lucy
the chrous line comment got me good
I get the motive for Lucy (frame Mabel because she's got the relationship with Charles that she wants), but why would the glitter man, who is being set up as the killer, have a picture of with herself in it? Also, the killer is really going to be part of Charles' life again? I'm still thinking Alice
Lucy's own retelling of the night of Bunny's death was that she witnessed the killer leaving the scene (while she was filming her IG Story in the Arconiacombs or whatever). To that point, (pre-)Glitter Man was observed shifting on his feet in what looked like a facing movement ("right FACE!", "about FACE!", etc). That implies military or police training imo. Nina's husband could be a suspect; only Charles and Oliver got the warning call to leave the building, and since Mabel is sort of a bootleg tenant her number might not have been available on a roster of names/numbers to the building manager (or her replacement), but that ignores the painting which I still think is the focus here.

Whoever the killer is - and I'm still leaning on Rapaport at the moment - I think he was a hired gun. Was he hired specifically to kill Bunny, or was Bunny in the wrong place at the wrong time? Currently I'm leaning towards the latter, and the killer maybe thought Bunny was Mabel when they briefly engaged in a scuffle. This could lend credence to Alice being the moneybags behind the caper, and why she injected herself (heyooo!) into Mabel's life so soon after Bunny's death.

Whoever it is, how did they know about the secret passages in the building?
tina fey could also be behind it

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:25 pm

I can confirm that the actual band Metallica does not show up in ST season 4. One of their songs however....

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:53 pm

This.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:58 pm

:|

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:12 pm

Party pooper.