Colossal TV Show thread

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 am

Cobra Kai Season 3
Okay this series has always come with a suspension of disbelief. It was at least somewhat believable in the first 2 seasons but now,

Johnny has multiple felonies and is somehow walking the streets and is still allowed to interact with children?

People getting in massive fights, breaking and entering, destroying property, etc. No cops in this world, just dojo rivalry.

Hawk straight up murdered a kid during tryouts. It was Fight Club destroy something beautiful. No cops, no parents, just next scene.

I do like that they went into Kreese’s background but I thought they confirmed in season 1 that he lied about his military experience? Regardless, the back story did nothing to humanize him IMO.

I also think they are using the nostalgia of the movies well. Daniel’s trip to Japan was very good IMO.

I’m still going to watch but it’s def approaching shark jumping territory
We're still only on S03E03 or 04, but I agree. You know what annoys me the most, though? The same routine damn near every episode, where Larusso gets along with Johnny, then 5 minutes later they hate each other. Next episode, same thing. Rinse, repeat.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:38 am

Been binge watching Ozark...
With the admittance that S3 has improved the overall quality of the series, this show is so wholly mediocre that I cannot begin to understand all of the praise and award nominations. It's fine, it's been a decent binge, but it is such an unremarkable Breaking Bad imitator. I like Jason Bateman but he doesn't play Marty with any of the likability that Cranston gave Walt, even as he devolved into a hardened criminal. Wendy's turn has been interesting and a nice development, but suffers from an indictment that afflicts the entire show: everything is sooooo **** easy. Every problem gets fixed with minimal effort or complication, many times offscreen, and then we just move on to the next too easy to solve problem.

Sociopathic FBI Agent in S1 and S2 was so over the top and unlikable. Darlene Snell is annoying AF and the best thing about her is the actress they hired as the booty double for the S2 flashback scene. **** the Pastor. Ruth is fun and interesting despite the god awful accent, but I do not understand her S2 obsession with getting Wyatt into college. Other than a couple books we never see Wyatt doing anything remotely smart, something Ruth exhibits the entire series. S3 has been an improvement but crossing my fingers that Wendy's brother ends up on the receiving end of a cartel bullet because that dude sucks.
Exactly. it seems like it's great (flashy veneer) but it just isn't. i gave up on it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Been binge watching Ozark...
With the admittance that S3 has improved the overall quality of the series, this show is so wholly mediocre that I cannot begin to understand all of the praise and award nominations. It's fine, it's been a decent binge, but it is such an unremarkable Breaking Bad imitator. I like Jason Bateman but he doesn't play Marty with any of the likability that Cranston gave Walt, even as he devolved into a hardened criminal. Wendy's turn has been interesting and a nice development, but suffers from an indictment that afflicts the entire show: everything is sooooo **** easy. Every problem gets fixed with minimal effort or complication, many times offscreen, and then we just move on to the next too easy to solve problem.

Sociopathic FBI Agent in S1 and S2 was so over the top and unlikable. Darlene Snell is annoying AF and the best thing about her is the actress they hired as the booty double for the S2 flashback scene. **** the Pastor. Ruth is fun and interesting despite the god awful accent, but I do not understand her S2 obsession with getting Wyatt into college. Other than a couple books we never see Wyatt doing anything remotely smart, something Ruth exhibits the entire series. S3 has been an improvement but crossing my fingers that Wendy's brother ends up on the receiving end of a cartel bullet because that dude sucks.
Exactly. it seems like it's great (flashy veneer) but it just isn't. i gave up on it.
Got good news for you on the brother.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 pm

Cobra Kai Season 3
Okay this series has always come with a suspension of disbelief. It was at least somewhat believable in the first 2 seasons but now,

Johnny has multiple felonies and is somehow walking the streets and is still allowed to interact with children?

People getting in massive fights, breaking and entering, destroying property, etc. No cops in this world, just dojo rivalry.

Hawk straight up murdered a kid during tryouts. It was Fight Club destroy something beautiful. No cops, no parents, just next scene.

I do like that they went into Kreese’s background but I thought they confirmed in season 1 that he lied about his military experience? Regardless, the back story did nothing to humanize him IMO.

I also think they are using the nostalgia of the movies well. Daniel’s trip to Japan was very good IMO.

I’m still going to watch but it’s def approaching shark jumping territory
We're still only on S03E03 or 04, but I agree. You know what annoys me the most, though? The same routine damn near every episode, where Larusso gets along with Johnny, then 5 minutes later they hate each other. Next episode, same thing. Rinse, repeat.
Their relationship is quickly becoming. This meme,

Freddy Rumsen

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Read this in an AV Club comment section. Perfect.
Damon Lindelof's status as the Lars Ulrich of TV

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:04 am

I'll be giving it a shot, for sure.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:44 am

Aww yeah!

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:45 am

Read this in an AV Club comment section. Perfect.
Damon Lindelof's status as the Lars Ulrich of TV
Counterpoint to that is, against all odds, Watchmen is absolutely incredible.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:09 am

Andrew Scott is sooo good as Moriarty. That scene in episode three with Sherlock/Watson in the pool. So creepy. I have trouble seeing him in other roles because of Moriarty.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:16 am

This is true. So good.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:22 am

Through 4 episodes of Lupin. This show is so much fun. When do the next 5 episodes come out? He's basically french Batman

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:24 am

French Batman would be Batgirl.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 am

Through 4 episodes of Lupin. This show is so much fun. When do the next 5 episodes come out? He's basically french Batman
No idea - very frustrating. Evidently, the Sabrina reboot came out with their second half season six months after the first half dropped. Netflix is concerned about not having enough content throughout the year because of COVID shutdowns and delays.

Freddy Rumsen

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:13 pm

End of Season 3 of Fargo was.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm

@eddy

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:34 pm

Blah, blah, blahhh!

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:07 pm

Is this based on Lupin the 3rd?

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:59 pm

@eddy

Terrific!

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:00 pm

Arsène Lupin is a fictional gentleman thief and master of disguise created in 1905 by French writer Maurice Leblanc.

Really cool how they follow the book inside the show

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:32 pm

Arsène Lupin is a fictional gentleman thief and master of disguise created in 1905 by French writer Maurice Leblanc.

Really cool how they follow the book inside the show
So Lupin III is based on the French guy. Gotcha

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:30 pm

This is from October, not sure why I missed it

Begins shooting in March, 10 episodes, $200 million budget.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:46 pm

I wish it was HBO. Apple+ is a ball sack of a streaming service.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:41 pm

It is. Hopefully, by the time this show airs in 18 months or whatever, it will be better.

And I did get confirmation that the free year we got in late 2019, that was extended to February 2021, is not extended to the end of July. Not too shabby.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:14 pm

If it happens on Apple+ it doesn't exist.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Ted Lasso disagrees. Just need to google search for it because you can’t search in Apple+.