Colossal TV Show thread

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 pm

5 episodes in on Tom Clancy.

Show is fantastic.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:32 am

Show is fantastic.
overall, i agree. hope it does well. one thing that really stuck in my craw on episode 4
when jack chased ali in to that shed, dont you think jack would have went to disarm him after their intial scrap and he was up against the wood pile?

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 am

Show is fantastic.
overall, i agree. hope it does well. one thing that really stuck in my craw on episode 4
when jack chased ali in to that shed, dont you think jack would have went to disarm him after their intial scrap and he was up against the wood pile?
also 5 episodes in. The biggest thing that has stood out for me is seeing Lloyd Braun captured by ISIS or whoever they are. Poor guy can't catch a break. Also, Jack's girlfriend is not a good actress. Also Jack goes in and out of acting at times too. Still a good show, but
At the end of episode 5, was that the guy with bad teeth that got hit by the drone attack when they went looking for the bad guys wife and kids? Why wouldn't he report back to the boss when he really didn't die and tell him the wife got away? Did I miss something here

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:52 am

Ozark is now reminding me of early seasons house of cards.

A dude holding the thinnest of threads together and finding ways to exercise power perfectly to subvert authority.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 am

Watched the first episode of Ozark last night.
The subplot with the girl better payoff, because right now I'm not sure what purpose she plays. I didn't like the subplot on the whole hide the death of the main villian. Way too obvious how thatbwas going to go.
On Jack Ryan
There were a couple scenes like that which made little sense, like why would the SWAT guys not know basic Arabic and not shoot the lady? Also agree on the acting chops of the love interest.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Henry Cavill is Geralt of Rivia in Netflix The Witcher series

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:33 am

Also agree that Jack Ryan is pretty darn good.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:25 am

Was weary of watching The Handmaid's Tale because of certain group's penchant to use the show in protests and what not, but halfway through season 2 and this show is pretty **** great. Some slooooooow episodes at times, but the performances are great and the dystopian future it presents is terrifying and fully realized.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 am

I completely lost touch with it near the beginning of season 2. Just fell off.
Season two started ok but really moved slow later into the season, but it started to pick up again midway through season 3.

Overall, I think those gaps in between really killed the momentum. The gap from season one to season two was ten months. Season two to season three was even worse, almost thirteen months. Even season four won't be aired until 2019, which makes it at least another thirteen months between seasons. You can't do that. That's how people lose interest.

Ideally I think the series should have been maybe 20-25 episodes total, like two seasons of 10 episodes or even three seasons of eight episodes and a double episode for the grand finale. They're at 32 right now, and I think this upcoming season was rumored to be 12 episodes.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 am

Was weary of watching The Handmaid's Tale because of certain group's penchant to use the show in protests and what not, but halfway through season 2 and this show is pretty **** great. Some slooooooow episodes at times, but the performances are great and the dystopian future it presents is terrifying and fully realized.
You don't see the correlation?

Sidenote: ever since finding out Elisabeth Moss is a hardcore Scientologist, I have hard time separate the actor from the character.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:51 am

I liked it. I'm not sure if I was really into it because I was cramming for my CISSP and trying to get into IA at the time or what, but the tech stuff was really on point and I appreciated that. Then I just never picked it up again. I still want to return to it eventually.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:18 pm

You don't see the correlation?

Sidenote: ever since finding out Elisabeth Moss is a hardcore Scientologist, I have hard time separate the actor from the character.
Moss being a Scientologist definitely makes her seem kind of hypocritical. She does a hell of a job on the show though.

And yes, while there are obvious correlations between the world of the show and the viewpoints of right leaning, hyper-religious politicians, to me acting like Kavanaugh's views on abortion puts this country "one step closer to Gilead" is more akin to everyone you disagree with being "literally Hitler". There's other examples of protesters using this imagery (the Kavanaugh hearings is just the most recent) and I get that's its striking and recognizable and whatever else, but for all of the **** going on in this country lets not act like we're anywhere close to fertility conscription. It's more "all Mexicans are drug dealers and rapists" than it is a reasonable argument.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Anyone watch the premiere of Always Sunny last night?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:50 pm

I liked it. I'm not sure if I was really into it because I was cramming for my CISSP and trying to get into IA at the time or what, but the tech stuff was really on point and I appreciated that. Then I just never picked it up again. I still want to return to it eventually.
that's the one thing that got my attention, how detailed they were with the tech stuff. The only noticeable thing they did that was obviously fake was using an IP address that used an octet above 255

which was later explained by the producer as

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Kind of surprised they didn't setup a server and used that IP. I know they did some other guerrilla marketing stuff when the show launched.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:01 pm

Is it done after the 3rd season? I forgot all about this.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:01 pm

The upcoming fourth season is the final season.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Good deal. Back to Jack Ryan, is that Russell from Wayne's World as one of the military generals?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Anyone watch the premiere of Always Sunny last night?
Just watched it. Started out really slow, IMO.
Dennis simply showing up brought up the entire episode. I don’t know that it can succeed without him.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:25 am

I'm so **** ready for Daredevil S03.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 am

Show is fantastic.
also 5 episodes in. The biggest thing that has stood out for me is seeing Lloyd Braun captured by ISIS or whoever they are. Poor guy can't catch a break. Also, Jack's girlfriend is not a good actress. Also Jack goes in and out of acting at times too. Still a good show, but
At the end of episode 5, was that the guy with bad teeth that got hit by the drone attack when they went looking for the bad guys wife and kids? Why wouldn't he report back to the boss when he really didn't die and tell him the wife got away? Did I miss something here
did you watch ep 6?
he was in contact with suleiman who was directing him to track down wife and kids

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:56 am

Not yet

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:28 am

In comedy land....

About halfway through Crazy Ex Girlfriend and still enjoying it.

Highly recommend The Good Place. Season 3 is starting this month and it's extremely easy to catch up on (seasons are only 12 episodes).

I'm also halfway through Alone Together, which is also good. Goes down very easy.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Season 2 of Atypical is out. This is an excellent show.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 pm

IASIP:

I skipped all last season since I didn't have anywhere to stream it, I think. Watching S13E1 and the addition of Mindy Kaling to the cast is really bad, regardless of when it happened.