Colossal TV Show thread

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:34 pm

**** Discovery.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:34 pm

They're removing HBO direct movies from the streaming service too. Sounds like bad news all the way around.

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:44 pm

I'll be honest, I probably watch HBOMax the least out of all of my streaming services once I got through the DC stuff I wanted to watch.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:48 pm

It's my number two behind YTTV. Sounds like it might not work out, though.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:50 pm

Watched HBO Max a ton. **** Discovery. Wonder what this means for The Penguin series.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:55 pm

The U.S. and the Holocaust is a three-part series that tells the story of how the American people grappled with one of the greatest humanitarian crises of the twentieth century, and how this struggle tested the ideals of our democracy. By examining events leading up to and during the Holocaust with fresh eyes, this film dispels the competing myths that Americans either were ignorant of what was happening to Jews in Europe, or that they merely looked on with callous indifference. The truth is much more nuanced and complicated, and the challenges that the American people confronted raise questions that remain essential to our society today: What is America’s role as a land of immigrants? What are the responsibilities of a nation to intervene in humanitarian crises? What should our leaders and the press do to shape public opinion? What can individuals do when governments fail to act?

Premiering on PBS September 18-20, 2022, The U.S. and the Holocaust is directed by Ken Burns, Lynn Novick & Sarah Botstein, written by Geoffrey C. Ward, story by Kevin Baker and produced by Burns, Novick, Botstein and Mike Welt. (6 hours)
Burns is an incredible storyteller, so we'll watch this at first chance.

One of the higher history classes I took in college was about the rise of fascism and the Holocaust, and............. I'll just say it has stuck with me.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:06 pm

Just don't scrap Warrior s3 and I'm not terribly bothered by the HBOMax news.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:22 pm

Only Murders In The Building, Se2 Ep7
Okay, I did not see that coming.

Glitter Man had their backpack slung over their right shoulder, which implies left-handedness. They're also taller than average....... is Michael Rapaport left-handed? A NYPD cop could moonlight as an amusement park security guard where the employee locker room would be more or less vacant space during winter, and potentially also have the connections to make a blocks-wide blackout happen, and also have access to the Trio's phone numbers to be texting them.

(Speaking of Coney Island...... I wonder if powering things up for Theo's ankle LoJack also activated the security cameras.........)

Whoever the button man is, it leaves open the question of motive. In the first scene we meet him, Rapaport's cop even goes so far as to call the case something that will make his career, and what would be more of a slam dunk than framing a high-profile suspect? But what's the connection to the Rose Cooper painting? How does Lucy figure into all this? I rewatched scene in Ep 4 where Charles puts Lucy in the car ("No detours") where Glitter Man took the photo, but the only other person who's really in the scene is the car driver, who is anonymous afaik, and the camera's from a position that looks like it's either the BMW parked behind or maybe even a car across the street.
Like I don't f**king know A Chorus Line.............. (I'm like 75% convinced that moment was either unscripted, or at least wasn't known ahead of time to Martin and Martin. Thought that was excellent, no notes.)

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:23 pm

I'll be honest, I probably watch HBOMax the least out of all of my streaming services once I got through the DC stuff I wanted to watch.
It’s my most watched streaming service I’d say. This has bad news written all over it. They’ll add Honey Boo Boo and cancel Hacks.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:46 pm

I watch HBO more than anything now. I'll rewatch stuff on there before I'll watch a lot of other stuff.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:44 pm

I think HBO max has become the best streaming service. I don't understand what's happening with this discovery thing? What's going on here?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:53 pm

I think HBO max has become the best streaming service. I don't understand what's happening with this discovery thing? What's going on here?
No more original programming for streaming. All shows will be HBO proper and streaming availability is rumored to be moving a joint Discovery/HBO service. Shows like The Penguin might survive but be moved to HBO. New CEO doesn't think the expense of original programming drives enough HBO Max subscriber revenue, especially when HBO continues to exist in its original form.

The big fallout is of DC related. Scrapped movie(s) and shows, release schedule being juggled again, and a push toward big, revenue generating spectacles, which I kind of get with a direct to streaming Batgirl movie, but 90% of DC movies since Zack Snyder got involved have been big, spectacular piles of ****.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:26 pm

The Discovery/WB merger is just another nail in the streaming casket. Between cutting HBO Max content and Netflix doing whatever it is that they’ve been doing, it’s going downhill fast.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:21 am

No more original programming for streaming. All shows will be HBO proper and streaming availability is rumored to be moving a joint Discovery/HBO service. Shows like The Penguin might survive but be moved to HBO. New CEO doesn't think the expense of original programming drives enough HBO Max subscriber revenue, especially when HBO continues to exist in its original form.

The big fallout is of DC related. Scrapped movie(s) and shows, release schedule being juggled again, and a push toward big, revenue generating spectacles, which I kind of get with a direct to streaming Batgirl movie, but 90% of DC movies since Zack Snyder got involved have been big, spectacular piles of ****.
So does that mean you can go back to the HBO now app or whatever it was they had separate when it first started?

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 am

The thing I don't get about the whole WB/DC thing is that they are still letting the Flash movie go on? If anyone deserves to lose out on everything, it's that loon playing the Flash.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:00 am

‘Alien’ FX Series Will Be Closer in Tone to First Two Movies: Expect to Be ‘Caught Off Guard’
Noah Hawley’s “Alien” series for FX is finally starting to come into view after delays in filming. During the ongoing TCA tour — virtual once more, yet again due to the ongoing spread of Covid — FX chairman John Landgraf said that Hawley has turned in all the scripts for the limited series spin on the sci-fi franchise. It’s also confirmed to start shooting next year, and it also is going to mirror the tone of the ones that started it all, Ridley Scott’s 1979 “Alien” and James Cameron’s 1986 “Aliens.”

“I’m a big fan of ‘Alien’ and ‘Aliens’ and I remember watching both of them in the theater and how shockingly original and surprising each of them was in its own way,” Landgraf said. “And so, similar to his approach to ‘Fargo,’ Noah decided to not take Ripley or any character from Alien – except perhaps the xenomorph itself – but go back and figure out what made the franchise so great and so durable in the first place and see if he could find an experience that felt like walking into a theater and seeing one of those first two movies, where you get caught off guard.”

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:07 am

So does that mean you can go back to the HBO now app or whatever it was they had separate when it first started?
Nobody knows yet. Originally the Discovery CEO hinted that the HBO Max name would go away but given the brand recognition and trust that HBO has over Discovery, it looks like that's not the case anymore. My guess is HBO Max stays and Discovery+ is absorbed into that app. So we'll have less scripted content, more horrible Discovery+ stuff to sift through, and eventually the HBO name stops being associated with quality content and is looked at like TLC is now.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:08 am

Discovery Channel used to be top tier programming. I have no idea what the hell happened to them.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:10 am

Oof.

The Learning Channel was great, I watched it a lot as a teen. TLC, not great.
Similar to SpeedVision to Speed Channel to Speed to Fox Sports 1. Each name change meant a degraded experience.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:11 am

The same thing that happened to TLC and is going to happen at HBO Max: cost cutting and a larger focus on cheap reality TV.

faftorial

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:11 am

Russian Doll season 2 sucked.
I watched the first season and I just don't like that actress.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:18 am

Wife and I watched "Candy" on Hulu with Jessica Biel. Quick 5 episode series based on a true story of a woman in the 80's named Candy accused of murdering her friend with an Axe. We both thought it was well done and interesting.

Between Dopesick, Candy, Stranger Things 4, and the final season of Peaky Blinders etc...we've been on a pretty good run of watching things lately.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:20 am

I couldn't get into Russian Doll, either. Watched the first 3-4 episodes and then just didn't continue.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:21 am

Also, The Bear is so damn good. Haven't finished it yet, but I already know I want more episodes in this season.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:28 am

Oh yeah we watched the Bear in with those other shows too..I knew there was something else.