Colossal TV Show thread

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:39 am

James Gunn said the Peacemaker season 2 is safe for now, fwiw.

I don't understand how HBO produced films would not be able to be streamed on an HBO owned streaming service, unless the production studio ownership reverted to another corporation. So weird. But I guess the shareholders must be appeased.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 am

The thing I don't get about the whole WB/DC thing is that they are still letting the Flash movie go on? If anyone deserves to lose out on everything, it's that loon playing the Flash.
I don't think anyone would be opposed to The Flash getting axed solely because Ezra Miller is a threat to humanity, but they're apparently $300MM deep on the movie already and from test screening reactions it's at least kinda goodish.

Batgirl was slated for direct to streaming (which the new CEO wants to do away with), ONLY cost $90MM so it's being used as a tax write off, looked cheap, and was not very good. Quadfecta of reasons to get binned I guess.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 am

HBO content is safe. Content specifically created for HBO Max is what’s being axed right now. Even existing **** like Witches is being purged.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:43 am

So I should be very worried about Warrior then. *sigh*

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:45 am

I read about the tax write-off with Batgirl. The one-liner aside, how does a company just decide to 'write off' an expenditure like that? The article I read said they binned the production specifically to write it off.

What's the mechanism for companies to spend out of control, declare the production inert, and 'write it off'?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:46 am

They are also shelving Scoob!, a Scooby Doo movie, for the same reasons.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:52 am

Saw an old ad for Man with a Plan, and it made me realize that Matt LeBlanc hasn't done anything since that was cancelled. That's a shame, because the show was really funny, and I'm a big fan of his.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:06 pm

Only Murders In The Building, Se2 Ep7
Okay, I did not see that coming.

Glitter Man had their backpack slung over their right shoulder, which implies left-handedness. They're also taller than average....... is Michael Rapaport left-handed? A NYPD cop could moonlight as an amusement park security guard where the employee locker room would be more or less vacant space during winter, and potentially also have the connections to make a blocks-wide blackout happen, and also have access to the Trio's phone numbers to be texting them.

(Speaking of Coney Island...... I wonder if powering things up for Theo's ankle LoJack also activated the security cameras.........)

Whoever the button man is, it leaves open the question of motive. In the first scene we meet him, Rapaport's cop even goes so far as to call the case something that will make his career, and what would be more of a slam dunk than framing a high-profile suspect? But what's the connection to the Rose Cooper painting? How does Lucy figure into all this? I rewatched scene in Ep 4 where Charles puts Lucy in the car ("No detours") where Glitter Man took the photo, but the only other person who's really in the scene is the car driver, who is anonymous afaik, and the camera's from a position that looks like it's either the BMW parked behind or maybe even a car across the street.
Like I don't f**king know A Chorus Line.............. (I'm like 75% convinced that moment was either unscripted, or at least wasn't known ahead of time to Martin and Martin. Thought that was excellent, no notes.)
im convinced it's lucy
the chrous line comment got me good

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:36 pm

Glitter Man had their backpack slung over their right shoulder, which implies left-handedness. They're also taller than average....... is Michael Rapaport left-handed? A NYPD cop could moonlight as an amusement park security guard where the employee locker room would be more or less vacant space during winter, and potentially also have the connections to make a blocks-wide blackout happen, and also have access to the Trio's phone numbers to be texting them.

(Speaking of Coney Island...... I wonder if powering things up for Theo's ankle LoJack also activated the security cameras.........)

Whoever the button man is, it leaves open the question of motive. In the first scene we meet him, Rapaport's cop even goes so far as to call the case something that will make his career, and what would be more of a slam dunk than framing a high-profile suspect? But what's the connection to the Rose Cooper painting? How does Lucy figure into all this? I rewatched scene in Ep 4 where Charles puts Lucy in the car ("No detours") where Glitter Man took the photo, but the only other person who's really in the scene is the car driver, who is anonymous afaik, and the camera's from a position that looks like it's either the BMW parked behind or maybe even a car across the street.
Like I don't f**king know A Chorus Line.............. (I'm like 75% convinced that moment was either unscripted, or at least wasn't known ahead of time to Martin and Martin. Thought that was excellent, no notes.)
im convinced it's lucy
I get the motive for Lucy (frame Mabel because she's got the relationship with Charles that she wants), but why would the glitter man, who is being set up as the killer, have a picture of with herself in it? Also, the killer is really going to be part of Charles' life again? I'm still thinking Alice

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:06 pm

The Bear renewed for season 2. Official-like. Nice.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:08 pm

Nice.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:11 pm

Saw an old ad for Man with a Plan, and it made me realize that Matt LeBlanc hasn't done anything since that was cancelled. That's a shame, because the show was really funny, and I'm a big fan of his.
I came across this on Prime the other day and was like...nah. I am glad that Leblanc got paid well for Friends because I hope to never see him again.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:12 pm

Somehow, I knew that's what you were going to say.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:20 pm

I think his involvement in Top Gear did not help.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:13 pm

No matter how good or bad Leblanc was on Top Gear, he made the critical mistakes of not only joining the cast immediately following C-H-M-W departures (and the inevitable backlash that would follow), he was also on the show with Chris Evans (and not the funny one from Boston with the cool doggo). That's a double whammy of suck compounded by the fact that he wasn't actually very good in his own right.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:14 pm

I've never watched Top Gear, so that was never a factor for me.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:21 pm

Just learned that Northern Exposure is not available on streaming because of music rights issues.

Thanks tif.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:31 pm

im convinced it's lucy
I get the motive for Lucy (frame Mabel because she's got the relationship with Charles that she wants), but why would the glitter man, who is being set up as the killer, have a picture of with herself in it? Also, the killer is really going to be part of Charles' life again? I'm still thinking Alice
Lucy's own retelling of the night of Bunny's death was that she witnessed the killer leaving the scene (while she was filming her IG Story in the Arconiacombs or whatever). To that point, (pre-)Glitter Man was observed shifting on his feet in what looked like a facing movement ("right FACE!", "about FACE!", etc). That implies military or police training imo. Nina's husband could be a suspect; only Charles and Oliver got the warning call to leave the building, and since Mabel is sort of a bootleg tenant her number might not have been available on a roster of names/numbers to the building manager (or her replacement), but that ignores the painting which I still think is the focus here.

Whoever the killer is - and I'm still leaning on Rapaport at the moment - I think he was a hired gun. Was he hired specifically to kill Bunny, or was Bunny in the wrong place at the wrong time? Currently I'm leaning towards the latter, and the killer maybe thought Bunny was Mabel when they briefly engaged in a scuffle. This could lend credence to Alice being the moneybags behind the caper, and why she injected herself (heyooo!) into Mabel's life so soon after Bunny's death.

Whoever it is, how did they know about the secret passages in the building?

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:35 pm

Just learned that Northern Exposure is not available on streaming because of music rights issues.

Thanks tif.
It's a common thing for lots of shows in the 90s in particular when music licensing really started becoming a fixture in shows. Not all music supes or show producers contemplated "all forms of TV now known or hereafter devised". That was also the nascent days of music streaming (NAPSTER BAD!) and labels were often reluctant to include any form of digital rights in licenses, so even if the quote was "all TV, world, perp" there would often be a carve out for digital distribution.

At the places I worked, 'All TV' pretty much always included all forms of distribution, so the quote was usually a bit higher than other labels.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:48 pm

I tried watching The Wonder Years like a decade ago when they used someone other than Joe Cocker for the theme and had swapped a bunch of music in the show and it was garbage.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:52 pm

I tried watching The Wonder Years like a decade ago when they used someone other than Joe Cocker for the theme and had swapped a bunch of music in the show and it was garbage.
And the family was black but the production values were really high, weird.

;)

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:00 pm

This was surprisingly good.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:08 pm

Ah, man. I'm still working my way through ER, on S9E8. Someone **** up somewhere and put the little 30 second 'recap' from later in the season at the front of this episode. Just spoiled like four storylines for the next 6 hours or so of programming. :lol:

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:47 pm

Just finished season 3 of Yellowstone. I wish I would have counted the number of people they killed, and how often they were shot, beat, maimed, and are still alive.

But it got me hooked.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:36 pm

You know when there is some kind of serious event and people come out of the woodwork who were 'almost killed' so they can get some attention too?

This Three Mile Island documentary on Netflix is chock full of these folks. Not sure if I can finish three hours of their hysterics.