Colossal TV Show thread

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 am

Neat, thanks. That led me to look at Helena Bonham Carter's IMDB and I had no idea that Marla from Fight Club was Mrs. Bucket from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:36 am

Gaucho has been banging the drum on this one for a while now, but Detectorists is really good. Very much in the same vein as Ghosts, After Life, and to a lesser extent, Ted Lasso.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:37 am

The BBC version of Ghosts is up next for us, but I'll add that to the queue, as well.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:38 am

The BBC version of Ghosts is up next for us, but I'll add that to the queue, as well.
You're watching the US version now right? It'll be interesting to see if you had the same reaction to the BBC version as I did the US one.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:40 am

I bet we'll love them both. As for Detectorists, it's apparently included with Prime, so that's good. Now I just have to remember to check Prime.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:45 am

I watched Detectorists years ago and it didn't work for me, but I can give it another run.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:53 pm

'The Boys' Season 3 Premieres June 3rd, 2022 on Amazon Prime Video

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:57 pm

One thing about binging Scrubs is that you know when Elliott and JD sleep together you're in for 4-6 sub-par episodes.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:28 pm

For me all the Elliott JD stuff is fine when it ends with the split sometime in S 3-4. When they bring it back in I think S6, that's when I'm like ugggghhh

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:50 pm

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:45 pm

Just finished Cowboy Bebop (animated) for the first time. Very fun. The dub is great, and the intro song is an all-timer.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby iamjs » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:43 pm

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:35 am

Just finished Cowboy Bebop (animated) for the first time. Very fun. The dub is great, and the intro song is an all-timer.
Awesome. Just finished rewatching it myself. Still love it. Watched ep1 of the live action and don't hate it. Jet's actor is incredible and the sets are sensational. I can tell they even tried for the right tone but it's tough to recreate in live action.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:41 am

Watching the new season of Dirty Jobs. They got rid of the old theme song, so it’s already starting off o the wrong foot.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:58 pm

Awesome. Just finished rewatching it myself. Still love it. Watched ep1 of the live action and don't hate it. Jet's actor is incredible and the sets are sensational. I can tell they even tried for the right tone but it's tough to recreate in live action.
Yeah, the action is so visually rich I can imagine it not translating the best to live. I also heard they made the change of...
adding in a lot more Julia and Vicious stuff. I thought the original was really effective in the way it just sprinkled that stuff in every once in a while. A bunch of mostly self-contained eps, but then it'd be a nice surprise when you'd get a bit of Faye/Jet/Spike backstory. -- you never knew when it was coming. It would seem that the live action is a bit more serialized.

I'll still probably check it out. Seems like the cancellation had more to do with budget and viewership than actual quality.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:13 pm

The hardcore fans raged about how bad it was and that spilled over to fans like me I think. And yeah mostly because of that stuff you mentioned. Now many are backpedaling and praising parts of it. But what I saw of Ed on a clip was rough. But if just for seeing that dude portray Jet and to get a sense of the phenomenal settings you should check the first episode.

The main thing I wanted portrayed was the tone. Jazzy fightscenes are cool but the lonely quiet suppressed atmosphere is much easier to get across in anime. Pausing on still scenes during a reaction closeup for example

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:46 pm

Yeah, good point on that final observation.

I saw the Ed clip too. That character was always going to be a tough literal translation. If there ever were a time to deviate from a character a bit, that would've been it. Honestly the biggest affront in that scene is the camera angles. It reminded me of bad 90s music videos. :lol:

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:36 am

hah yeah i think it did. what was surprising was how well the actor mimicked Ed and that that was the problem. yeah they needed to just go with the spirit of the character and not attempt a 1 for 1. the scene sort of reminded me of a something from Little Monsters which I always hated

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:45 pm

Dexter finale.
The ****?

The lead up to the finale was much better than the finale itself which felt rushed and entirely unearned.

Dexter suddenly assaulting a police officer because they have super weak evidence was very out of character.

Why did they bring Angel back except for fan service? There wasn’t a payoff at all and their chance meeting was unbelievably convenient.

Harrison isn’t the best actor is he?

Angela suddenly figuring out Jim was Dexter AND tying him to the bay harbor butcher was dumb as well. Did Dexter even use Ketamine As the bhb? I don’t think so but it’s been a while.

There’s also talk about Dexter New Blood season 2. Get the **** out of here with that. There’s no Dexter without Michael C Hall and I sure as **** don’t want to watch ghost Michael C Hall with Harrison as the new lead. This finale was better than him going off to be a lumberjack, but not by much.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:27 am

Dexter finale.
The ****?

The lead up to the finale was much better than the finale itself which felt rushed and entirely unearned.

Dexter suddenly assaulting a police officer because they have super weak evidence was very out of character.

Why did they bring Angel back except for fan service? There wasn’t a payoff at all and their chance meeting was unbelievably convenient.

Harrison isn’t the best actor is he?

Angela suddenly figuring out Jim was Dexter AND tying him to the bay harbor butcher was dumb as well. Did Dexter even use Ketamine As the bhb? I don’t think so but it’s been a while.

There’s also talk about Dexter New Blood season 2. Get the **** out of here with that. There’s no Dexter without Michael C Hall and I sure as **** don’t want to watch ghost Michael C Hall with Harrison as the new lead. This finale was better than him going off to be a lumberjack, but not by much.
Not sure I’d be that hard on it and it was better than the original ending. But not great.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:34 am

sex lives of college girls on HBO is giving mrs litt and i a good laugh. created by mindy kaling and one of the writes from brooklyn 99

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 am

@dodint: I have no idea if this is even available in the states, but see if you can find The Cleaner. I think it might be up your alley. My wife and I certainly enjoy it.
Is the season done already? I can get it on BritBox through Amazon Prime for like $6/mo and with a 7-day free trial.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:17 am

@dodint: I have no idea if this is even available in the states, but see if you can find The Cleaner. I think it might be up your alley. My wife and I certainly enjoy it.
Is the season done already? I can get it on BritBox through Amazon Prime for like $6/mo and with a 7-day free trial.
Yep, typical British series of just 6 episodes. You can easily knock it out in the free trial.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 am

Cool, thanks!

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:47 pm

The new Peacemaker show on HBO Max that is opening soon is at a 90% on RT. It stars John Cena as the title character.