Colossal TV Show thread

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am

finished up I think you should leave. funniest show I've seen in a long time. there are a couple misses, but the hits are huge. watch on netflix.
Ugh unfortunately I mostly hate it. I struggled not to turn it off near the end of the first episode and then struggled weighing my own evolving (optimistic) or waning (pessimistic) sense of humor. But I found enough reasons to chuckle on the second episode to push through. I'm finding I enjoy the ideas of the sketches but hate watching most of them play out. But some subtle comedic acting has been good. My favorite so far (I think I'm through episode 4) was very Odenkirk/Mr Show like. The motorcycles skit. Silly, quick, fun.

Maybe the long cringe dramas are too well acted and produced for me to enjoy the premise.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 06, 2019 11:25 am

finished up I think you should leave. funniest show I've seen in a long time. there are a couple misses, but the hits are huge. watch on netflix.
Ugh unfortunately I mostly hate it. I struggled not to turn it off near the end of the first episode and then struggled weighing my own evolving (optimistic) or waning (pessimistic) sense of humor. But I found enough reasons to chuckle on the second episode to push through. I'm finding I enjoy the ideas of the sketches but hate watching most of them play out. But some subtle comedic acting has been good. My favorite so far (I think I'm through episode 4) was very Odenkirk/Mr Show like. The motorcycles skit. Silly, quick, fun.

Maybe the long cringe dramas are too well acted and produced for me to enjoy the premise.
yeah, I figured there would be quite a few people who don't like this. Like I said, it really is the dumbest thing ever, but it just worked for me.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 am

Chernobyl starts tonight on HBO. That looks good enough that I'll keep HBO for a few more weeks.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 06, 2019 11:45 am

Chernobyl starts tonight on HBO. That looks good enough that I'll keep HBO for a few more weeks.
I'm excited to see how inaccurate it is.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 06, 2019 11:49 am

spoiler:

he makes an appearance in ep 3

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon May 06, 2019 11:53 am

yeah, I figured there would be quite a few people who don't like this. Like I said, it really is the dumbest thing ever, but it just worked for me.
haha but i'm used to being on your side of the argument

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 06, 2019 12:03 pm

spoiler:

he makes an appearance in ep 3

I guess he's there to unravel the mystery.

https://www.nei.org/news/2019/viewers-g ... -chernobyl

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 06, 2019 9:55 pm

You guys seemed to like it, but after just finishing it, I think the Americans was a very very average show, and that finale was nothing more than a cop out for not knowing how to finish a story. This is 75 hours or so that I’d like back, I think.

Edit: the finale was good. I didn’t get some of it on first pass.
Last edited by shmenguin on Mon May 06, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 pm

This season of Bosch was unreal. So good.

End of episode 6? Amazing tv.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:54 am

I really think Bosch gets better each season. Really top notch police procedural, which could get really stale and Law and Orderish, but avoids all of that.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue May 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Clothes are holes was very bad, but I thought overall it was a very good episode and probably the best of the season so far.
I think there have been stronger episodes this season. I did definitely enjoy the tour sketch though, that was good.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue May 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Yeah, by and large I'm not a fan as well. It just seems there are other shows that have already done a better job at what this one is trying to do (like you mention, Mr. Show), Tim & Eric chief among them. Coincidentally enough, I thought one of the only worthwhile sketches was a Tim Heidecker one (where Tim H. was the jazz guy at the party).

I think for me a lot of it is, I don't think Tim Robinson is a strong performer by any means, and should not be used as the lynchpin of any scene. However, he is used as exactly that throughout most of the show. I realized pretty much anything I liked (Will Forte on the plane, Cecily Strong in the magician sketch, the horny guy, christmas joke, horse commercial, the aforementioned jazz guy sketch), he was not tasked with carrying the sketch (or in it at all).

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm

I really want this to be good.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed May 08, 2019 2:57 pm

This "Youtube as a big blank space" thing is unsettling.

I hope you enjoy whatever it is you're talking about.

Maybe it's a work thing. Loads fine on mobile. *shrug*

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

I really want this to be good.
Based on findings from the GoT thread...this show is going to be amazing, then.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 08, 2019 8:35 pm

I thought this was a retelling if the original graphic novel? What is this?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 08, 2019 9:04 pm

It's supposed to take place 10 years after the events of the original novel. Everything is secretive at this point, but Jeremy Irons seems to be playing an aged Ozymandias.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Up to episode 8 of Bosch. So good.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 08, 2019 11:46 pm

It's supposed to take place 10 years after the events of the original novel. Everything is secretive at this point, but Jeremy Irons seems to be playing an aged Ozymandias.
Hmm. I didn’t really need another adaptation of the novel, but I’m also not excited about 10 years post novel. Meh.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 am

I started watching The IT Crowd recently. Funny stuff.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 am

I started watching The IT Crowd recently. Funny stuff.
:thumb:

Their theme song was my ringtone when I was a PC Tech.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am

Chernobyl, not surprisingly, is very good.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:47 am

Deadwood article on the upcoming film: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-feat ... ch-825534/

I didn't know that David Milch has Alzheimer's and the writing/style was much different because of it for this film.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 am

Chernobyl, not surprisingly, is very good.
:thumb:

I'm looking forward to that. I started watching the Les Miserables BBC Masterpiece series and it's pretty great so far. It's moving along much faster than the book, but still has a slow feel to it (but not in a bad way)

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm

You guys seemed to like it, but after just finishing it, I think the Americans was a very very average show, and that finale was nothing more than a cop out for not knowing how to finish a story. This is 75 hours or so that I’d like back, I think.

Edit: the finale was good. I didn’t get some of it on first pass.
You're not wrong. The show for us was just filler waiting for the next Netflix DVD to come in the mail. It kept me interested enough to want to keep watching to the end, but it wasn't anything great.

I think if they would have made Philip become a counter-agent, that would have made things very interesting. Instead, he just toed the line between being a Russian agent and having a conscience.