Uncle Baby Billy might be my favorite character

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:00 pm

His character in SOA is also great.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:35 pm

One of the great things about The Shield is you get to see Goggins grow from an inexperienced actor to an incredible actor of the course of the show. Dude should have been nominated for numerous awards from S5 onward.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:43 pm

I also love spotting former Shield actors in other things. Half have made appearances on S.W.A.T., and I’ve seen others elsewhere. Always a fun surprise.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:10 pm

I've been watching The West Wing for the first time. I'm enjoying it. It suffers from the same issues that most network TV shows do, but manages to overcome them better than most. I just finished the premiere of season 3 and it's ALL about terrorism. Like weirdly obsessed with terrorism and talking about what it means to be a terrorist and questioning whether all Muslims and Islamics are terrorists. I looked up the air date and sure enough it aired Oct 3, 2001. It's so strange to be back in that headspace. The series has felt fairly timeless thus far, and that episode felt so of its time.

Although I have to admit that a show that portrays the office of the president and politics in general with such respect is sort of funny these days.

*Wait I just learned that this episode is a non-canonical episode and is not technically the season 3 premiere. It's a really impressive message for being less than a month after 9/11.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:40 pm

Yeah, that was such a great show. I caught one and pulled my 16 year old into the room to watch it. He liked it as well. I know Sorkin "walk and talk" gets made fun of these days, but the writing was so good. And I fully agree with how politics is revered on the show, which is the opposite of what things are like today.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:14 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:09 pm

I finished Tulsa King. It was OK to meh.

Some thoughts:
-Very underwhelming climatic battle
-Absurdly short episode run times. Like 36 minutes, including a "previously on" segment, title credits, and a teaser for the next episode. It's like they wanted to stretch it into 9 episodes to get people to subscribe to Paramount+ for three months. I also wonder if this was originally planned as a CBS show, because there are definitely some cuts where commercials would work.
-It has been renewed, although the week before, Stallone said he was ambivalent about filming another season. TV shoots are much longer, further away from home, and he's not a spring chicken (76!!!) He said if he could film it from home (lol) he'd be good to go.
-Ron Burkle produces all of those Tyler Sheridan shows btw. These shows (Yellowstone etc.) are all aimed at conservative middle America, wondering where all the good days have gone etc., and produced by the owner of Whole Foods and a huge Democratic donor. Interesting.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:19 pm

King of the Hill is coming back.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:27 pm

Sounds cool. But Beavis and Butthead came back and I only watched one episode.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:18 pm

Has anyone watched Derek? It has a lot of the same cast, as is par for the course for Gervais (not a bad thing).
Derek was terrific. I've seen every show Gervais has ever been a part of, and am a big fan.
Just started this and liking it so far.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:22 pm

Has anyone watched Derek? It has a lot of the same cast, as is par for the course for Gervais (not a bad thing).
Derek was terrific. I've seen every show Gervais has ever been a part of, and am a big fan.
Just started this and liking it so far.
:thumb: It definitely shows a different side, though after watching After Life, it won’t surprise you that he could make a show like that.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:37 pm

Sounds cool. But Beavis and Butthead came back and I only watched one episode.
I actually quite enjoyed the new episodes on paramount+

I think there was another revival several years ago and those weren't as good, iirc

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:25 am

This just sounds like one massive **** that will do nothing but piss people off and cancel.

Confirmed: Netflix Unveils First Details of New Anti-Password Sharing Measures

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:29 am

This just sounds like one massive **** that will do nothing but piss people off and cancel.

Confirmed: Netflix Unveils First Details of New Anti-Password Sharing Measures
I'm sure parents with college-aged kids will love this. I password share with my family. I use my parents Netflix, they use my HBO, I use my sister's Hulu, she uses my Disney+, everybody uses my Peacock because nobody else is dumb enough to pay for Peacock. I'm not going to rush to subscribe to Netflix. I'll just be without it until something on there is worth watching. And then I'll pirate it.

I also just realized that you have to sign in on your home device once a month or get locked out. The only way to get unlocked is to contact support. This is going to be hilarious.

Wait what about the app? Might as well delete that from the app store.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:40 am

I think Netflix is about to find out how easy it is to just let your account renew vs actually canceling.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:41 am

Netflix "Instant Watch" was supposed to be the death of cable and being tied to your TV in your home. Watch what you want, any time, any place. Hell, they even encouraged password sharing early on. I know they tested this in other markets and I have a hard time believing this decision was made without a general idea of how the customer will react, but this has to blow up in their face.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:41 am

I think Netflix is about to find out how easy it is to just let your account renew vs actually canceling.
I'm sure you'll have to contact support to cancel, same as if your home device gets locked out.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:42 am

It's a snowball of things, like forcing the 4 screen package to get 4k content - the only tier to have 4k. I think it'll absolutely blow up in their face, but I guess we'll see.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:44 am

I'm gonna have to remember to sign in once a month..thats the most annoying part to me haha. We can go months without watching something on netflix.

I think this will have some blowback but you think as big of a company as they are they would have done some market research on this and somehow figure it won't be as bad as we all think it will be.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:44 am

Market research and polling... always something you can count on.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:51 am

I'm surprised they didn't include the option to pay extra to share outside of your household. It would still be a bad decision but at least it would give users an option. What college kid is going to sign up for their own account? What parent of a college kid is going to keep paying for a service that their kid can't use? At the very least they'll downgrade if not cancel outright. What about people who travel extensively and do so for more than 7 days at a time? People who want to watch Netflix during their lunch break at the office? This feels so shortsighted that it's hard to believe that Netflix execs think it's actually a good idea.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:52 am

I tend to be contrarian on a lot of things, but "users have to pay for the service they're using" seems pretty straightforward to me. So much so that people stamping their feet yelling about not being able to steal stuff anymore come off as indignant buttholes, to me.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:55 am

I tend to be contrarian on a lot of things, but "users have to pay for the service they're using" seems pretty straightforward to me. So much so that people stamping their feet yelling about not being able to steal stuff anymore come off as indignant buttholes, to me.
People already pay for simultaneous streaming on up to 4 devices. Why should it matter where those devices are? That's not stealing. Now, I will definitely go back to stealing since Netflix just made it harder to watch their **** legally.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:57 am

People already pay for simultaneous streaming on up to 4 devices. Why should it matter where those devices are? That's not stealing. Now, I will definitely go back to stealing since Netflix just made it harder to watch their **** legally.
This is where I'm at. If I came off as yelling, etc., I'm not. I have no issues with continuing to just download the content I want to watch. I would just use this change to have my parents downgrade their account, or outright cancel since they use Kodi themselves for most of the stuff they watch.