Colossal TV Show thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Season 1 blows. You get past that, and yeah, it's very much worth the look.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:39 pm

When parks and recs kicks into gear, it's easily up there with the office.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:42 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. Parks & Rec > The Office.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Okay then, I'll give it a shot. I see that it's available to Amazon Prime users, so that'll save me a lot of time.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:54 pm

I think P&R is much better than the office and also knew when to stop... The evolution of the characters was great between the start of the series to right around middle/end of season 2. It's probably the arrival of Adam Scott and Rob Lowe in combination of more Chris Pratt that leads to the better quality, but that's just one man's opinion.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Taken as a whole, P&R was better than The Office (US) imo.

That said, Andy's best line ever was an NSFW outtake about Kim Kardashian.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm on the boat that says P&R > The Office. A big thing that c2i pointed out is when P&R added characters it made the show better, the same can't be said for The Office.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm

How he kept it together while everyone else was dying is impressive.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:14 pm

That was a great line, but the best line ever in my opinion is one that actually made the cut.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm

haha, I think I have to rewatch this series

count2infinity

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm

That was a great line, but the best line ever in my opinion is one that actually made the cut.

Fun fact... the director/writer/executive producer (Mose from The Office) almost didn't put that line in, simply out of a spite. As a writer, he was so mad that Pratt just came up with that line while he'd slave away writing and rewriting and rewriting trying to come up with stuff like that. Just said it wasn't fair. :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:40 pm

How much you want to bet that PC wasn't even connected to the internet and that's how Pratt came up with that line? :lol: Not that he'd admit it though.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 am

The Americans finished very strongly, probably one of the better final episodes I've seen recently.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:24 am

The Americans finished very strongly, probably one of the better final episodes I've seen recently.

So...Do you think Renee is a spy?

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm

For the last couple of weeks, I have just been going down a Youtube rabbit hole of old Rodney Dangerfield/Johnny Carson/Don Rickles etc videos. It's given me a new appreciation for just how brilliant these guys were. Rickles had the sharpest wit of any comic I can think of, in terms of going off the cuff.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Yes. Yes I do.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Yes. Yes I do.
I agree it was a good ending. I'm just super confused about Paige's decision. WTF is she going to do? She's broke and her parents are known Russian spies. Not sure she has much of a future...

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Yes. Yes I do.
I agree it was a good ending. I'm just super confused about Paige's decision. WTF is she going to do? She's broke and her parents are known Russian spies. Not sure she has much of a future...
Yeah, I'm not sure what will happen next with Paige. It was obvious that she didn't feel a move back to Russia would work out for her. But a real heartbreaking decision to leave Henry behind.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:26 pm

For the last couple of weeks, I have just been going down a Youtube rabbit hole of old Rodney Dangerfield/Johnny Carson/Don Rickles etc videos. It's given me a new appreciation for just how brilliant these guys were. Rickles had the sharpest wit of any comic I can think of, in terms of going off the cuff.
Seek out the unedited Dean Martin/Friars Club roasts. They were so funny, a comedian literally died at one of them. (Bob "Super Dave Osborne" Einstein's dad. True story.)

Viva la Ben

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Groucho Marx is the original off the cuff comedian. His appearances on the Mike Douglas show were great.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Seek out the unedited Dean Martin/Friars Club roasts. They were so funny, a comedian literally died at one of them. (Bob "Super Dave Osborne" Einstein's dad. True story.)
I've always preferred the Dean Martin version over the Friars Club roasts, but both are terrific.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Somebody has been watching Comedians in Cars.

For whatever reason, I never equated the actor in Curb Your Enthusiasm with Super Dave until I watched the episode.

Blue Canary

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Blue Canary » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 pm

Yes. Yes I do.
Same.

Blue Canary

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:38 am

Yes. Yes I do.
Yeah, I'm not sure what will happen next with Paige. It was obvious that she didn't feel a move back to Russia would work out for her. But a real heartbreaking decision to leave Henry behind.
Here's my cockamamie theory as to what really happened: TL; DR, Paige called Stan from the McDonald's.

Paige left the car to go into the McDonald's a minute or 2 before Philip. Presumably, she's going in to start ordering food, and then Philip will follow to help her pay and bring it all out. But we don't see Paige and Philip in the McDonald's at the same time. Paige is back in the car, empty handed, when Philip goes to leave with all of the food. Why didn't Paige bring anything at all to the car? Why didn't she wait for Philip inside the McD's?

I believe she called Stan from a payphone near the restrooms or outside the building out of Elizabeth's view. I also believe Philip suspected something was up when he saw her in the car ahead of him. What would Paige have told Elizabeth when she went back to the car empty handed? That she just went to the bathroom? Maybe.

Philip let it go for Henry's sake and probably because HE wanted to stay himself; if he couldn't, then Paige was the next best thing.

Could've just been the editing, but we didn't see a wanted flyer for her and she was still on or near the train when the blindest Border Control officers ever (Elizabeth's disguise really wasn't good, imo) were going up and down the aisles and on and off the train. She could've still been stopped and passed the check out of the frame, but I don't think so.

So, then Paige goes back to Claudia's safe house/apartment. This was odd to me, and it inspires this whole crazy theory.

Maybe she just needed somewhere to go to gather her wits. (One vodka shot? It's the most restraint she's ever shown; I'd have been chugging that bottle.) But why DC? Why that apartment, in particular, unless it was safe for her to do so? Otherwise, she would know that she couldn't possibly take that chance.

Paige probably stayed for Henry more than because she's an American. BTW, I always thought it curious that none of Paige's justifiable anger/stress/confusion/etc. upon hearing that her parents were spies appeared to have anything at all to do with the fact that she herself is American. Her parents were betraying *her* country. Yeah, her parents and her relationship with them were more important, but it had to cross her mind, no?

Paige had to know that if the folks made it back to the Motherland, then they're safe, since there's no extradition treaty.

Great show, and I enjoyed the finale. Awesome music throughout the run.

P. S. Poor, poor Martha in her babushka. It's gonna be awkward if she runs into Mikhail and Nadezhda at the grocery store. But she may be able to see her parents again in a few years and bring Olya to the U.S. with her.

Blue Canary

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:26 pm

A lingering point from "The Americans" (nonspoiler):

So, Philip Jennings is a massive hockey fan, and his cover story has him being from Pittsburgh (S5, ep4, when E and P double-date with Stan and Renee). But, unless I'm misremembering, you see him following and rooting for the Caps on occasion. I don't think he mentions the Penguins once the entire series; he should've at least mentioned drafting Lemieux in season 5, and he didn't.

That, right there, would've told me something wasn't right with him. :lol: