Colossal TV Show thread

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:46 am

@D@DigitalGypsy66, did you watch the Where are they now? special episode of Last Chance U? It's in the "trailers and extras" section so I missed it at first but it's worth watching.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:11 am

No, I didn't. I saw earlier season's where are they now, but not that one. I wonder why they hid it in the trailers page? That's hard to find on a smart TV or mobile. Weird.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:40 pm

this has been an interesting season of handmades tale. i thought the first three episodes were ROUGH but pacing has been good since then. last night was great

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm

this has been an interesting season of handmades tale. i thought the first three episodes were ROUGH but pacing has been good since then. last night was great
I'm incredibly over this show. I haven't watched the last night's episode yet, but the rest of them have been hard to get through. Oh look, June is staring at the camera menacingly again. They're treading water and if they don't put an end date, they're at risk of becoming The Walking Dead.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:27 pm

I have similar thoughts. The first three episodes were a mess and even until very recently the following episodes were kind of uneven. Last night was great though. It seems like we might finally be getting somewhere with all of this.

I'm incredibly over this show. I haven't watched the last night's episode yet, but the rest of them have been hard to get through. Oh look, June is staring at the camera menacingly again. They're treading water and if they don't put an end date, they're at risk of becoming The Walking Dead.
I also have similar thoughts to this. The beginning of the season was such a mess that I stopped watching and only recently caught up because my wife promised it got better. I've still had enough of Elizabeth Moss' stupid face starting into the camera and they need to come up with an endgame for all of this before it's too late.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Wait. There are new episodes of HT? Guess I'll wait until they're all out and then binge it.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:08 pm

Wait. There are new episodes of HT? Guess I'll wait until they're all out and then binge it.
Yea. Probably started like two months ago. Hulu and there one episode a week nonsense is terrible. Let me binge.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:12 pm

Firestick it is...in a few weeks.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:12 pm

Yup. The timed release really hurts Handmaid's. I understand the argument in favor of weekly releases and agree with it in some cases, but with a show as slow and repetitive as Handmaid's Tale, it just pisses me off. If I was able to watch at my own speed, I wouldn't be bothered with episodes where nothing happens.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:22 pm

I wonder if Netflix will change to the weekly release schedule to help prevent subscriber drop-off.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Yeah, they do it to keep the week or month trial people from banging through all of their content.

I really liked the first season, but haven't been motivated to watch the second based on the reviews here. I just don't know where they could go with it, based on how the book ends. Yes, I know the book is one thing, the show another (like GoT), but the book had an ending that worked well. Atwood is writing a sequel, too.

Amazon had some sort of event and announced a few cancellations, including Patriot, unfortunately. Easily one of the best shows on TV, just so quirky and dark. The second season finale worked as a series finale, so at least there's that.

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 pm

I wonder if Netflix will change to the weekly release schedule to help prevent subscriber drop-off.
If they do I'll cancel my subscription, which I've had since the DVD through the mail days.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Speaking of Netflix, we finished OITNB last night. After the dreadful last few seasons, I wasn't looking forward to watching it at all. Surprisingly, it ended up being the best season since season 4. It ended on a really sweet note and wrapped up the series nicely. It's amazing how much better it was once they were working towards the end game.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:41 pm

I don’t watch OITNB, but when Sony was troubleshooting my audio issue yesterday, they remoted into the tv to replicate the issue. The woman then started playing OITNB to see if the audio worked and the first thing that popped up were two topless women making out with nipple all over the screen.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Wow, really cool single shot splitscreened against the production:

https://streamable.com/jqom8

Depicting a drug addict recovering over a few months.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Spangler » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Am I missing something with that The Boys commercial on tv with the Spice Girls music in it? I had no idea it was a superhero show with that commercial. Did they intentionally make it as deceptive as possible, or was it bad marketing?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:52 pm

TIL R.J. Biggins, j.r. comes out as gay on the second season of Wings.

That's way before Ellen.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:24 pm

TIL R.J. Biggins, j.r. comes out as gay on the second season of Wings.

That's way before Ellen.
He was in two episodes, 7 years apart. Not sure there is an equivalency to the titular character on a long running series.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:35 pm

It was merely a TIL, not a statement.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 am

Speaking of Netflix, we finished OITNB last night. After the dreadful last few seasons, I wasn't looking forward to watching it at all. Surprisingly, it ended up being the best season since season 4. It ended on a really sweet note and wrapped up the series nicely. It's amazing how much better it was once they were working towards the end game.
I still hate Piper.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 am

Am I missing something with that The Boys commercial on tv with the Spice Girls music in it? I had no idea it was a superhero show with that commercial. Did they intentionally make it as deceptive as possible, or was it bad marketing?
I haven't seen the commercial, but I would imagine they are trying to get as many people as possible to watch the show - not just comic book nerds.

Speaking of comic book nerds watching The Boys, I watched the first two episodes without any idea what it was about (not familiar with the comics).

It's great, much better than I thought it would be. Plus, lots of c-word usage, which is always good (Karl Urban's character is British and uses it a lot, so it's not misogynistic). It's wild.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:02 am

:thumb:

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:18 am

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:46 am

I still hate Piper.
Agreed. Taystee ended up being the star of that show.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Yep. Hell, I liked Chang more than 90% of the cast.