Colossal TV Show thread

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 am

I don’t watch Goldbergs but I thought Jeff Garlin was cancelled.
He is off the show. And I don't think they have a plan on how to handle that next season.
Out of curiosity, how'd they write him off? Feel free to spoil the **** out of it.
They didn't really. This season, they were able to get some clips of him in other situations, and in the wedding episodes, they had a really bad standin with a voiceover. The show as able to get enough of filming to wrap up this season prior to his December departure. And the last few episodes they just didn't have him in, which wasn't a big deal as it was a handful of episodes.

It's going into a whole season with nothing that they'll have to address.
I thought he was one of the leads? I guess I overvalued his role in that show.
He is/was. They were able to work around a partial season as he was a part of filming for the first half. And even then, the workarounds have been really awkward. Which is why I'm wondering how they are going to handle it next season when they don't have that. This is supposed to be based on Goldberg's actual family, and while they have taken some liberties (ie. I don't think he has a sister in real life but they wrote in Erica), they have tried to keep it in the realm, and his father was alive during his whole childhood.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 am

Roseanne was written out of Roseanne. Anything is possible.
Yeah but there was a full episode dealing with her death, and her character can still be felt in some parts of the show. To just ignore it completely would've been weird.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:59 am

I don't watch Goldbergs but I saw a headline for an article saying they plan to address the absence next year. He's an old fat white guy, the lazy way out would be an off-screen heart attack. Similar to:
Spacey and House of Cards

NAN

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:00 am

I don't watch Goldbergs but I saw a headline for an article saying they plan to address the absence next year. He's an old fat white guy, the lazy way out would be an off-screen heart attack. Similar to:
Spacey and House of Cards
That's going to be my guess on what happens.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:23 am

I like Bridgerton. That is all.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:25 am

Roseanne should've been a heart attack.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 am

Do you watch Sanditon?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:34 am

Billions season 6
Like others have said, it really missed Axe. Mike Prince isn't as dastardly as Axe, and I really don't get Chuck Rhoades's vendetta against Prince. He's going after him because he's a billionaire. OK, Bernie. :lol: Corey Stoll is a good actor, and Prince is a good character. Just not on the same level as Chuck Rhoades. Sure he wanted the Olympics in NYC, to win back his wife but also to make a bunch of money in real estate. Is that illegal? Ugh.

I really don't see the point of having Wags around either. He seems castrated and sidelined for most of the season, with Prince's Chief of Staff Scooter doing most of the heavy lifting.

Eva Victor's character is interesting. Is she supposed to be on the spectrum, or is she not a good actress? It seems like her claim to fame is a viral video a few years ago mocking a "Straight Pride Day." I remember it and thought it funny at the time...but not sure what's going on with her in this series.

It's already renewed for season 7, which I'll watch as I'm a completionist. I don't envision the show lasting much longer though.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:55 am

Do you watch Sanditon?
Nope, my wife presented Bridgerton to me as a subtle British comedy and she wasn’t far off IMO. The other parts to the story I haven’t hated either… although a little too much between the Duke/Duchess when the conversation they eventually had could have been done 3 episodes earlier.

What’s Sanditon all about?

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:58 am

It's a hallmark movie disguised as a period piece. It's Masterpiece, the same folks on PBS that did Downton Abbey.

"The story follows Charlotte as she moves to the quiet fishing village of Sanditon for a fresh start, only to meet Sidney, a charming man who has ambitions to turn the tranquil seaside residence into a luxury resort."

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:07 am

Is it a British show? My wife is all-in on all of them, at this point. Even has me downloading Outlander for her now.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:09 am

Yes, British.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 am

Bri'ish

AuthorTony

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 am

I hate when sitcoms deal with death. They're supposed to be dumb escapism. Just send him on a business trip and never mention him again.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 am

Having read enough history when I watch period movies/shows all I can really think about is how bad the characters would smell in real life. Personal hygiene is a relatively new thing on the historical scale.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 pm

HBO has the Collin Firth BBC pride and prejudice. It is terrific. Pretty sure my wife watches it a couple times a year and I caught the last half this time. Will watch again.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:31 pm

Billions season 6
Like others have said, it really missed Axe. Mike Prince isn't as dastardly as Axe, and I really don't get Chuck Rhoades's vendetta against Prince. He's going after him because he's a billionaire. OK, Bernie. :lol: Corey Stoll is a good actor, and Prince is a good character. Just not on the same level as Chuck Rhoades. Sure he wanted the Olympics in NYC, to win back his wife but also to make a bunch of money in real estate. Is that illegal? Ugh.

I really don't see the point of having Wags around either. He seems castrated and sidelined for most of the season, with Prince's Chief of Staff Scooter doing most of the heavy lifting.

Eva Victor's character is interesting. Is she supposed to be on the spectrum, or is she not a good actress? It seems like her claim to fame is a viral video a few years ago mocking a "Straight Pride Day." I remember it and thought it funny at the time...but not sure what's going on with her in this series.

It's already renewed for season 7, which I'll watch as I'm a completionist. I don't envision the show lasting much longer though.
It's in the "we don't really have a show anymore, but we have all these characters, and they are going to keep paying us to make the show, so just grind it out"

So yeah, it's watchable like late season office was watchable, but every plotline is in competition to be dumber than the last one

Corey Stoll is an archetype for like a dapper mid 40's alpha business guy, I would not consider him much of an actor

With wags, right he's a character from the show, thus he's there talking and acting like wags in mostly random scenes

Taylor, Mcphee, Dollar Bill, Jerry Connelly, the short guy, Ira and Chuck's dad serve no purpose, they just show up now and then.

Also, that finale, that was probably the worst season finale for anything in a long time, that attempt to manufacture suspense was some of the most contrived nonsense I've encountered. I mean, I don't think anyone even knew about this stash of crypto (or whatever those boxes were), and what, he hasn't paid taxes on his crypto capital gains? Is that a crime for unrealized capital gains at this point?

I'm mostly annoyed that I endured this season, season 5 was pretty bad too, but this took it to another level. When i picked up the show a few months ago, I was very entertained, i think it's inarguable that the early seasons were top-notch TV show entertainment. But this show should not get swan song seasons to just let all their characters just vibe it out on screen and just have them out there like playing SIMS or whatever and not doing any actual plot stuff.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:29 pm

Anyone else watching Killing It with Craig Robinson? We're 3 episodes in and enjoying it. Also finished off S01 of This Flag Means Death. Outstanding season, looking forward to the next.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:44 pm

Billions season 6

It's in the "we don't really have a show anymore, but we have all these characters, and they are going to keep paying us to make the show, so just grind it out"

So yeah, it's watchable like late season office was watchable, but every plotline is in competition to be dumber than the last one

Corey Stoll is an archetype for like a dapper mid 40's alpha business guy, I would not consider him much of an actor

With wags, right he's a character from the show, thus he's there talking and acting like wags in mostly random scenes

Taylor, Mcphee, Dollar Bill, Jerry Connelly, the short guy, Ira and Chuck's dad serve no purpose, they just show up now and then.

Also, that finale, that was probably the worst season finale for anything in a long time, that attempt to manufacture suspense was some of the most contrived nonsense I've encountered. I mean, I don't think anyone even knew about this stash of crypto (or whatever those boxes were), and what, he hasn't paid taxes on his crypto capital gains? Is that a crime for unrealized capital gains at this point?

I'm mostly annoyed that I endured this season, season 5 was pretty bad too, but this took it to another level. When i picked up the show a few months ago, I was very entertained, i think it's inarguable that the early seasons were top-notch TV show entertainment. But this show should not get swan song seasons to just let all their characters just vibe it out on screen and just have them out there like playing SIMS or whatever and not doing any actual plot stuff.
I really enjoyed it up until this season. The writing was good, plots believable, but definitely slipped in season five because of the pandemic split/rewrite in the middle of it.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:50 pm

Take it from your ol' Uncle Tif, watching the final two episodes of Band Of Brothers right back-to-back in one sitting is a lot to ask of someone on their first viewing of the miniseries. (Mrs Tif had never seen it, but wanted to watch after we visited the WWII Museum in NOLA a few weeks ago) The chicken enchiladas didn't help.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:44 pm

Damn, nice work tif. My wife plays the theme on the piano and I can't even get through that without choking up

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:59 pm

Is it a British show? My wife is all-in on all of them, at this point. Even has me downloading Outlander for her now.
If you guys want one that can be enjoyable for everyone get on “Sex Education” on Netflix. Damn good stuff.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:14 pm

Finally got around to Letterkenny. Good stuff. That’s what I like about Katy, good stuff.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:21 am

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:05 am

If you guys want one that can be enjoyable for everyone get on “Sex Education” on Netflix. Damn good stuff.
Was definitely a hit in the TL household