Colossal TV Show thread

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:09 am

thought the ending of big little lies was pretty good. i thought at the end when zoe kravitz was driving she was going to drive in to oncoming traffic and kill mary louise and go for the mother son combo
I'm actually getting annoyed with this finale as it settles in. They built Mary Louise up into this formidable character to just have her get pwned by Celeste on the witness stand and then end show. There's something about making a lawyer heroic in that sort of courtroom setting that seems too cliche and I'm annoyed they resorted to that as the climax.
i think the logistics surrounding the trial were a far greater offense. first off, you can't just suggest a custody dispute against the biological mother, and it automatically goes to court. this would never have gotten that far IRL. secondly, the theatrics of the guy lawyer were next level bananas, treating it like the OJ trial. and finally, there's no due diligence on the autistic old lady who wants to raise 2 small children? come on now.

i still think last year was irredeemably bad across the board - aside from the spousal abuse story. this season, you had a story of similar quality with the custody thing, and then you also had adam scott killing it with meryl streep, the annoyingly wise 6 year olds were pushed back into the distance and the problems actually seemed to matter - rather than quibbling about a school play or whatever that was last year. they also didn't include the goofball **** like the cop (who is just the worst actress on TV) and the townspeople acting like it's a scooby doo episode with their tonal delivery.

maybe this show is still bad, but i had to watch it and i didn't dread it this year. so...silver linings.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 am

i think the logistics surrounding the trial were a far greater offense. first off, you can't just suggest a custody dispute against the biological mother, and it automatically goes to court. this would never have gotten that far IRL. secondly, the theatrics of the guy lawyer were next level bananas, treating it like the OJ trial. and finally, there's no due diligence on the autistic old lady who wants to raise 2 small children? come on now.

i still think last year was irredeemably bad across the board - aside from the spousal abuse story. this season, you had a story of similar quality with the custody thing, and then you also had adam scott killing it with meryl streep, the annoyingly wise 6 year olds were pushed back into the distance and the problems actually seemed to matter - rather than quibbling about a school play or whatever that was last year. they also didn't include the goofball **** like the cop (who is just the worst actress on TV) and the townspeople acting like it's a scooby doo episode with their tonal delivery.

maybe this show is still bad, but i had to watch it and i didn't dread it this year. so...silver linings.
Yeah, very true. I know nothing of custody stuff, so I was able to suspend disbelief on that, but I was thinking the whole time that shouldn't the onus be on the Meryl Streep character proving her bonafides, and not just airing Celeste's horniness?

The Zoe Kravitz story line was boring. And that scene where Ziggy is playing therapist on the beach provoked massive internal disgust that I was able to keep in as to not interrupt the viewing.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:41 am

The Zoe Kravitz story line was boring. And that scene where Ziggy is playing therapist on the beach provoked massive internal disgust that I was able to keep in as to not interrupt the viewing.
the only redeeming thing about the zoe kravitz story is that there was finally a conceit that her character makes no sense in this setting. it just highlights how bad the source material is that season 1 ended with no acknowledgement that she shouldn't be married to that guy, or even have any role in the story at all.

and yeah, that ziggy kid spent 13 episodes being functionally brain damaged, and then has relationship advice out of nowhere. but it was pleasantly offset by suppressing reese witherspoon's horribly precocious daughter and ditching plots like her other daughter selling her virginity on the internet. again - shitty shitty source material in season 1 that they course corrected.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am

God, I forgot about that virginity thing.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:44 am

God, I forgot about that virginity thing.
when episode 1 this year came out firing with the "BUT COLLEGE!!" stuff, i thought we were in for it again. luckily it was just a clumsy vessel to highlight reese witherspoon's lack of life perspective.

...even though she was totally right. they're uber rich. go to college, you idiot.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:53 am

Last Chance U Part 4 (ICC season two) is something else.
Unfortunately, my wife went ahead and found out their record for last season.
-The Garden City coach (Jeff Sims, now at Missouri Southern) acts like he wants his team to act better than ICC, but then starts **** while walking off the field. Not a good look.
-The Georgia Tech bounce back was a prized QB coming out of high school, signed with GT but then was disappointed that Tech runs a running offense (the triple option). That’s on him (and his parents) - GT has run that offense for ever. Why would a throwing QB even look at GT?
-It’s weird wanting the team to lose because of their dadhole coach, but rooting for individual players to succeed.
-The athletic trainer should have been fired after letting Markiese King back into the game after he was clearly knocked the **** out. She’s still listed as the trainer this season, although she’ll catch some heat after the show gets more viewers
-As someone who works at a small college that needs athletics to survive, it is pretty compelling viewing for me. But man, I don’t like this coach or school particularly. 200 player roster for tuition purposes? Good god. My school over recruits for this reason, but that many people hanging around not getting meaningful reps is bad for team building and morale. That’s really an issue for a 2 year JuCo, because of churn. And one of the reasons the season ended the way it did.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:01 pm

New Westworld trailer is out there.

...if you feel like banging your **** face through a wall.

Spoiler:
looks like there isn’t a Westworld anymore. Because why should a show do the only thing it’s good at anyways.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Yeah, I’m out.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:26 am

Looks better than I expected. Also nice to include Simon Pegg as Hughie's dad since this is how Hughie looked in the comics:

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 am

"Why do you still watch Shark Week?"

Me:

First breach ever recorded in New Zealand.
I know it has lost its luster after so long, but Shark Week starts this Sunday. I'm hoping for more breaching activity, and to see the current status of white sharks in the AUS/NZ area, since they disappeared for nearly one year not too long ago.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:33 am

I was wondering if Shark Week was soon. There were a couple of channels running shark docs last night and I thought it might have been underway already.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 am

NatGeo has been running "SharkFest" the last few years, and airs it just before Discovery's Shark Week. It's not nearly the same level of material, but my wife and I did watch the episode on Deep Blue (largest recorded white shark) feeding on a whale carcass in Oahu a few summers ago. A new, unknown white shark then showed up to feed, and they now think that there are likely more white sharks in Hawaiian waters than we know about because they seem to be spending most of their time in the very depths of the surrounding waters.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 am

Yup, NatGeo and Animal Planet are next to each other on my channel guide and both were running shark docs.

Sharkweek running their celebrity, gimmick, and fake content really put me off of it. I haven't watched it since before that fkface Phelps 'raced' a shark and the fake doc they did about the megalodon(?).

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:03 am

Yeah, those two were just awful, and they were mocked mercilessly on it. I actually liked the Shaq one because it was hilarious to see the giant get so scared in the water. I'm a big Rob Riggle fan, and I like the celebrities that'll be on the one episode this year, so I'll tune in for that.

Even with some of the fluff and garbage, there are some really good episodes mixed in. Anything with Andy Casagrande is a must-watch for me.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 am

When I flipped it on last night Anthony Anderson was telling a story about shooting with sharks and how he 'almost died.' They were shooting in an aquarium.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:45 am

He's definitely a weak link. I'm really only going to watch the one episode for Rob Riggle, Joel McHale and Damon Wayans Jr.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:14 pm

My daughter loves The Thunderman’s (Nick). After seeing that the daughter on the show is 21, I now, too, love the Thunderman’s.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:37 pm

:lol:

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:33 pm

Oh wow. She looks to have huge tracts of land.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:25 am

I read this 10 minutes ago and still have no idea if this is a good or bad thing.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:18 am

I read this 10 minutes ago and still have no idea if this is a good or bad thing.
Damn it @NTP66 you uncultured swine.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 am

Finished our rewatch of Sherlock last night. Such a great show. They did a fantastic job with it.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:43 am

Damn it @NTP66 you uncultured swine.

:lol: It has been ages since I've seen Holy Grail.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Last Chance U Part 4 (ICC season two) is something else.
Unfortunately, my wife went ahead and found out their record for last season.
-The Garden City coach (Jeff Sims, now at Missouri Southern) acts like he wants his team to act better than ICC, but then starts **** while walking off the field. Not a good look.
-The Georgia Tech bounce back was a prized QB coming out of high school, signed with GT but then was disappointed that Tech runs a running offense (the triple option). That’s on him (and his parents) - GT has run that offense for ever. Why would a throwing QB even look at GT?
-It’s weird wanting the team to lose because of their dadhole coach, but rooting for individual players to succeed.
-The athletic trainer should have been fired after letting Markiese King back into the game after he was clearly knocked the **** out. She’s still listed as the trainer this season, although she’ll catch some heat after the show gets more viewers
-As someone who works at a small college that needs athletics to survive, it is pretty compelling viewing for me. But man, I don’t like this coach or school particularly. 200 player roster for tuition purposes? Good god. My school over recruits for this reason, but that many people hanging around not getting meaningful reps is bad for team building and morale. That’s really an issue for a 2 year JuCo, because of churn. And one of the reasons the season ended the way it did.
I just finished the season.
I quite enjoyed watching JB fail so spectacularly. And it was made even better when I looked him up after I finished the season to see what he was up to.
Brown now faces legal trouble amidst allegations that he pretended to be an attorney from Johnnie Cochran’s law office when contacting local media outlets. Brown is facing four counts of blackmail, four counts of identity theft and two misdemeanor counts of criminal false communication

Lol. Full story here: http://m.parsonssun.com/sports/article_ ... l?mode=jqm

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:31 am

1) Shark Week is awful and should be avoided at all costs if you are interested in learning anything useful (or even truthful, for that matter).

2) I've seen a couple trailers for Carnival Row on Amazon, and I'm all in.