Colossal TV Show thread

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 am

Does it just open the platform, or does it go directly to that show and start playing? TiVo has a similar feature where it’ll show which of my connected services the show is available on, and I can open it directly from there, but I don’t believe it goes directly to the show. I’d have to give it a try to see if that changed since I last used it.
It opens in the platform so not perfect but certainly better than individually searching each app.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 am

I wonder when you’re going to have to start locking into annual contracts for these providers. There’s a cost effective approach here of just cycling through each one, binging what you want, and then switching to a different one next month. They’re going to want to squash that as it gains traction.

Netflix is otherwise going to turn into HBO, where you have people constantly dipping in and out depending on what’s being released.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 am

It's just a website acting as a catalog. It's not integrated into anything. That's what I meant by 'on my tablet.' I read the tablet and then click through menus manually.

The horror. ;)
Sorry, that question was for nocera. I’ve seen the site you listed before, which is pretty cool.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:17 am

I wonder when you’re going to have to start locking into annual contracts for these providers. There’s a cost effective approach here of just cycling through each one, binging what you want, and then switching to a different one next month. They’re going to want to squash that as it gains traction.

Netflix is otherwise going to turn into HBO, where you have people constantly dipping in and out depending on what’s being released.
I think going that route would turn people off from the service completely.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 am

I think going that route would turn people off from the service completely.
I agree. A major selling point for each of them is the ease of going in and out. I would guess they make more money allowing that than they would if they went to yearly contracts.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 am

Yeah, when WWE Network launched they had a 6-month contract. That quickly went away as it scared away a bunch of people. Netflix, Hulu, etc. know that if they introduce contracts, they'll lose more money than they'd gain. Same reason they don't really crack down on password sharing.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:25 am

how an organization operates when it's building its market is going to be different from its matured state.

once people are sufficiently detached from cable, streaming services are gonna get much worse

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:31 am

Sure, but with added competition, it might actually benefit the consumer.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 am

Is there really competition? If you want to watch a specific show, there’s only one carrier. There’s actually less competition than there is with cable.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:48 am

That drives me nuts in some regard. As avid Star Trek fan, I still haven't seen Discovery because of that stupid CBS All Access.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:21 am

Is there really competition? If you want to watch a specific show, there’s only one carrier. There’s actually less competition than there is with cable.
There is. Disney+ pricing is a direct response to competitor pricing. I wouldn't be surprise to see Netflix/Hulu respond to Disney+ pricing should they see a drop in numbers. I get what you're saying in that there's only one place to watch Stranger Things, but Netflix is still competing for your dollars with other streaming services.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:24 am

That drives me nuts in some regard. As avid Star Trek fan, I still haven't seen Discovery because of that stupid CBS All Access.
I mean, if you're not willing to pay $6/month to watch it, I don't think I'd consider you an avid fan.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 am

I mean, if you're not willing to pay $6/month to watch it, I don't think I'd consider you an avid fan.
We already have Netflix, Prime, and Hulu. As much as I want to check it out, I have other things I can use the money on.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:44 am

There is. Disney+ pricing is a direct response to competitor pricing. I wouldn't be surprise to see Netflix/Hulu respond to Disney+ pricing should they see a drop in numbers. I get what you're saying in that there's only one place to watch Stranger Things, but Netflix is still competing for your dollars with other streaming services.
Disney now owns 67% of Hulu. The other 33% is owned by Comcast, who in May reached an agreement to immediately relinquish control to Disney and will sell the remaining 33% at fair market value no earlier than 2024. NBCUniversal will continue licensing content to Hulu through 2024, but licensing agreements can be transitioned to non-exclusive starting in 2020, which coincides with NBCUniversal planning to launch their own streaming service in 2021. Disney has said that they plan to put a package deal together that will feature Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu, but once 2024 rolls around and Comcast sells their stake and NBCUniversal is no longer licensing their content to Hulu it wouldn't surprise me if Hulu either disappears or simply becomes a branch of Disney+ that is used for more mature original content.

This also illustrates why The Office is so important to NBCUniversal's streaming plans. It's the most popular show on Netflix (7% of all streaming), will be available exclusively for when they plan to launch in 2021, and they rest of their stuff will be on Hulu until 2024.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:27 pm

Yeah, when WWE Network launched they had a 6-month contract. That quickly went away as it scared away a bunch of people. Netflix, Hulu, etc. know that if they introduce contracts, they'll lose more money than they'd gain. Same reason they don't really crack down on password sharing.
The Network is really the gold standard for me in terms of targeted streaming services. The back catalog is organized and sorted beautifully. Going back and rewatching the second half of the AE has been an immensely enjoyable experience for me and well worth the money.

Kane

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:54 pm

The clip that got me into the show.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:17 pm

Season 12. The best of all seasons.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:57 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzN9roQH1cg/?hl=en

(IASIP) He even tagged all of the Office cast in the video. :lol:

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:10 am

We started watching 'Mr. Iglesias' last night, and really enjoyed it. Definitely funnier than I thought it'd be.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:16 am

So just finished Jack Ryan this morning. For an Amazon/TV Series, was pretty good. Super cliche, super Captain America-ee (he'd randomly just think for a second and have their whole plan figured out), but it was a good watch.
Same, I've watched the first six episodes since Sunday and I'm liking it more than I thought I would. It's not quite Blacklist level bad in terms of government tactical maneuvers but it requires the same suspension of disbelief. The drone pilot story line is the worst; though somewhat representative of the issues they face and the melodrama they face it with. ;)

I like that they've fully developed the villain and his back story, adds a lot to the experience.

PrinceOfRossTownship

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PrinceOfRossTownship » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:30 pm

I used a weeklong free trial of HBO to rewatch the first season of Barry and binge the second season. Super dark, super funny.

Morkle

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:22 pm

So just finished Jack Ryan this morning. For an Amazon/TV Series, was pretty good. Super cliche, super Captain America-ee (he'd randomly just think for a second and have their whole plan figured out), but it was a good watch.
Same, I've watched the first six episodes since Sunday and I'm liking it more than I thought I would. It's not quite Blacklist level bad in terms of government tactical maneuvers but it requires the same suspension of disbelief. The drone pilot story line is the worst; though somewhat representative of the issues they face and the melodrama they face it with. ;)

I like that they've fully developed the villain and his back story, adds a lot to the experience.
Yup, agreed. I had no problem with the villian, but the whole ending was kind of weird. Like for a guy somewhat ruthless, something as simple as that got him domed.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Evidently, Seinfeld debuted today 30 years ago?

It’s like they wanted it to fail or something...Day after a holiday, in July no less lol

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Handmaid’s Tale season 3 is brutal. They’re just treading water at this point and it’s incredibly repetitive. If they don’t set an end date soon, it’s going to quickly become The Walking Dead.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Always sunny back in September already? I think it’s the final season.

And season 13 is better than I remember.