Colossal TV Show thread

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:15 am

what the **** is streamberry?

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 31, 2023 9:15 am

It's probably the focus of a Black Mirror episode.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:16 am

It looks like it's the fake streaming company used in the Annie Murphy Black Mirror episode.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 am

It feels like Succession is a huge show and everybody loves it because I see it talked about constantly online and my friends watch it. The finale drew 2.9 million viewers. That's... not a lot at all. House of the Dragon finale had 9.2 million. A rereun of Young Sheldon that ran opposite Succession had 3.7 million. Yes, of course a network show had bigger reach but just trying to put that number in perspective. And yet, Barry finale only had 700k so clearly Succession is the bigger hit for HBO. This is just live viewership, by the way. I don't think it takes streaming into account. "Appointment tv" is taking a beating in terms of viewership.

mikey

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mikey » Wed May 31, 2023 9:55 am

I'm not sure that that's a good representation of anything...it was a Memorial Day Sunday on a nice night. I didn't watch it until Monday because I was in A.C., for instance.

A quick google search suggests that Succession averages 8.7 million viewers per episode. Looking at a random smattering of network and cable TV ratings, that makes it generally the most watched Sunday show including, incredibly, OTA programming...

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 31, 2023 9:58 am

Yeah that 8.7 includes dvr and streaming. If you look at the average for House of the Dragon, it's something like 28 million per episode. I guess my point is more that appointment television barely exists anymore.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 31, 2023 9:59 am

Succession has a pretty narrow target audience, urban millennials.

Beveridge

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed May 31, 2023 10:02 am

I honestly can't remember the last time I sat down and watched something as it aired that was prerecorded. I've had TIVO or DVR for a better part of 13 years so at least that long. Hell, before that I would record on a VCR tape and watch it later.

Maybe 18 years ago in college when we would watch House.
Last edited by Beveridge on Wed May 31, 2023 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mikey » Wed May 31, 2023 10:03 am

I don't think I've ever heard of House of the Dragon...28 million per episode - assuming it's an HBO show, are you telling me that almost 10% of the U.S. population is consistently watching that show? That's wild.

But "appointment television" is brought about, in part, by the fact that you need an appointment to watch it...HBO Max is pre-DVR'd, obviously. It's not like having to get to a TV on Monday at 9 pm for MASH or you're hooped forever...

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 31, 2023 10:09 am

I don't think I've ever heard of House of the Dragon...28 million per episode - assuming it's an HBO show, are you telling me that almost 10% of the U.S. population is consistently watching that show? That's wild.

But "appointment television" is brought about, in part, by the fact that you need an appointment to watch it...HBO Max is pre-DVR'd, obviously. It's not like having to get to a TV on Monday at 9 pm for MASH or you're hooped forever...
That's worldwide so I'm not sure how it breaks down geographically. House of the Dragon is the Game of Thrones prequel show on HBO so it has the benefit of a built-in audience. The viewership grew with each episode, though, almost like people were waiting to see if it was dog **** before committing to it again after the GOT season 8 debacle.

I guess sports are the only remaining appointment television.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 31, 2023 10:27 am

Succession is very much a niche show. Hell, Stephen King doesn't like it. :lol:

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed May 31, 2023 10:27 am

I'm on S1E5 of Succession.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:45 am

Lasso finale was pretty good overall 👍
I didn't love that the final scenes were with his kid, even tho it makes sense plotwise. That kid is just the biggest goober. But I digress. Of all the numerous callbacks, I think the subtle Nate "S'wonderful" was my fave. Was a bit surprised they didn't win the whole f***ing thing like they set up, but idk, if it just makes more non-footie fans hate man city, then I support it.
We woke up at 5 am to watch it before work. They stuck the landing for sure. Really good stuff. I still think season 3 had it's lulls and they still rushed a few things, but overall the last 3-4 episodes were really really really good.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Wed May 31, 2023 12:15 pm

It feels like Succession is a huge show and everybody loves it because I see it talked about constantly online and my friends watch it. The finale drew 2.9 million viewers. That's... not a lot at all. House of the Dragon finale had 9.2 million. A rereun of Young Sheldon that ran opposite Succession had 3.7 million. Yes, of course a network show had bigger reach but just trying to put that number in perspective. And yet, Barry finale only had 700k so clearly Succession is the bigger hit for HBO. This is just live viewership, by the way. I don't think it takes streaming into account. "Appointment tv" is taking a beating in terms of viewership.
What is live viewership? Is that only people with HBO on a cable who turned the show on at 9? I agree, "appointment tv" is not really a thing anymore. Why would it be, when you can watch stuff when it's convenient for you. I streamed Succession a little after 9 on Sunday. I haven't watched Ted Lasso yet, but probably will tonight. I don't think it says much about the popularity of the shows though.

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 31, 2023 12:20 pm

I didn't love that the final scenes were with his kid, even tho it makes sense plotwise. That kid is just the biggest goober. But I digress. Of all the numerous callbacks, I think the subtle Nate "S'wonderful" was my fave. Was a bit surprised they didn't win the whole f***ing thing like they set up, but idk, if it just makes more non-footie fans hate man city, then I support it.
Underwhelmed to say the least.

Like usual, the Jamie/Roy stuff was funny, but the like growth stuff with Roy was mostly just baffling. like he broke up with Keely for a pretty dumb reason and his progress at the end is he goes to therapy? **** off. Also, what's the point of showing how Michelle and his annoying kid hate the new boyfriend? Like "ha ha ha you dumb dodint, you dumped Ted for a jackass!"

Joegap

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Joegap » Wed May 31, 2023 3:40 pm

Like usual, the Jamie/Roy stuff was funny, but the like growth stuff with Roy was mostly just baffling. like he broke up with Keely for a pretty dumb reason and his progress at the end is he goes to therapy? **** off. Also, what's the point of showing how Michelle and his annoying kid hate the new boyfriend? Like "ha ha ha you dumb dodint, you dumped Ted for a jackass!"
My biggest gripe was not showing Ted telling the team he was leaving, but they have time for Keelys PR firm?

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed May 31, 2023 4:23 pm

Who was talking about a Josh Hartnett renaissance?
Like I said, here for it.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 31, 2023 4:31 pm

Josh Hartnett came out swinging in his career. He debuts as a lead in H20, then goes straight into The Faculty and Virgin Suicides. It kind of goes off the rails from there but what a start. I was expecting to find some small roles to start but nope he just debuts as a leading man (kid).

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed May 31, 2023 4:45 pm

Black Hawk Down was the last place I saw him. Or maybe Pearl Harbor. Either way, he disappeared in 2001 AFAIK.

willeyeam

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 31, 2023 4:51 pm

I'm on S1E5 of Succession.
Hey same

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 31, 2023 5:26 pm

Black Hawk Down was the last place I saw him. Or maybe Pearl Harbor. Either way, he disappeared in 2001 AFAIK.
Last I remember is Sin City but apparently he was in a Black Mirror episode. I watched it but don’t remember him.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 31, 2023 9:07 pm

Last I remember is Sin City but apparently he was in a Black Mirror episode. I watched it but don’t remember him.
lol I looked it up, the episode he’s in hasn’t been released yet: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27731623/

comes out this month, apparently. I miss good Black Mirror (last great episode was San Junipero)

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 31, 2023 9:20 pm

My biggest gripe was not showing Ted telling the team he was leaving, but they have time for Keelys PR firm?
I thought it was great but I do agree that we were missing two pivotal scenes: Ted telling the team he’s leaving and Ted and Nate’s first encounter. At least we got the scene where Nate apologizes but that should’ve been part of the larger Nates back scene.

I’m pretty confident we get a season 4. Ted’s note to Trent saying to change the name and it was never about him is a meta commentary on this show. I think it’ll be back with a new name. I don’t necessarily think that’s a good idea though.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed May 31, 2023 11:37 pm

Lasso seasons

Outstanding
Great
Good

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:28 am

Yeah, that was a big swing and a miss for me, as well.