Colossal TV Show thread

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Contrary to popular belief, I don't actually do this all the time. But, from the Wiki..........
Frasier received 108 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, with 37 wins—the most received by any comedy series. The series received eight nominations for the award for Outstanding Comedy Series, winning five times from 1994 to 1998
So.... the people who make TV shows certainly thought it was a good TV show.
Steely Dan beat Radiohead’s Kid A for a Grammy.
Presuming Kid A was deserving (it was not, imo, but perhaps more so that Steely Dan; more egregious imo was that they also beat Eminem that year)...... Jethro Tull beat Metallica for the first Best Metal Performance Grammy. And Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan to Best Picture despite not even being the best movie with Queen Elizabeth I in it that year.

Award shows are replete with dopey one-offs like that, and in some of those cases it prompts the governing body in charge of the awards to actually alter their criteria. Much less common are things that win over 100 awards in their respective lane.
I’m too lazy to find a link, but the Hollywood Foreign Press caught some well-deserved grief for nominating Emily in Paris for two Golden Globes. Evidently, Paramount flew a significant number of the association out to Paris during filming, putting them up in rooms that usually go for $1400 a night. That’s some bullshit, right there.

Those guys are a joke, and it’s been well known, but that was ridiculous. :lol:

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Contrary to popular belief, I don't actually do this all the time. But, from the Wiki..........
Frasier received 108 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, with 37 wins—the most received by any comedy series. The series received eight nominations for the award for Outstanding Comedy Series, winning five times from 1994 to 1998
So.... the people who make TV shows certainly thought it was a good TV show.
Steely Dan beat Radiohead’s Kid A for a Grammy.
Presuming Kid A was deserving (it was not, imo, but perhaps more so that Steely Dan; more egregious imo was that they also beat Eminem that year)...... Jethro Tull beat Metallica for the first Best Metal Performance Grammy. And Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan to Best Picture despite not even being the best movie with Queen Elizabeth I in it that year.

Award shows are replete with dopey one-offs like that, and in some of those cases it prompts the governing body in charge of the awards to actually alter their criteria. Much less common are things that win over 100 awards in their respective lane.
The fact that it overlapped with Seinfeld for basically that whole time and managed to claim all that hardware illustrates more of an institutional problem with the academy awards. and the Shakespeare In Love/Crash/other forgettable movies that win best picture align with that. They’re all part of an ongoing disconnect from reality.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:58 pm

After starting The Expanse last year, getting side tracking in Season 3 and then deciding to restart the series, I have finally made it through Season 5...
I **** love this show. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close. As a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, this show spiritually feels like as close as I'll ever get to a live action Mass Effect show.

Season 1: I think this is a perfect world building season while also giving us Miller's noir murder mystery until our story takes a page out of a Johnny Gossamer novel and both cases are tied together. I love the contentious universe this series takes place in and the measures taken to add a significant level of realism. Thomas Jane is a complete scene stealer while Errinwright has the most punchable face.

Season 2: Loved the addition of Bobbie and giving us a Martian perspective on the universe, which continues to expand as we're introduced to places like Ganymede. Shohreh Aghdashloo carries a ton of weight in political scenes.

Season 3: Lots of shitty people finally get their due in this season, while the obvious transition between books felt a little wonky to me. Drummer grew into a favorite while David Strathairn was a hell of an addition to the cast. So glad this wasn't the end of the series.

Season 4: At times S2 and S3 felt like they could be an episode or two shorter, while I wish this season was an episode or two longer. Obvious budget upgrade from Amazon, but probably my least favorite season. While we get glimpses of the greater universe with Avasarala, Drummer/Ashford, and Bobbie playing black market with some actors getting paid scale, I thought too much time was spent on Ilus. For the first time in this show the universe felt small, which was weird since they were on a new planet in a different system. Loved the expanded, and still not answered, mystery of what the hell is going on with the protomolecule and whatever tried to destroy it and Murtry was a great antagonist.

Season 5: At the outset of this season I was a little perturbed by our crew being split up, and while it sucked that we'll never truly see them together again, I thought it worked well for the story and made the universe feel expansive again. Since S1 Amos quickly became my favorite crew member and it was great to learn more about him and watch him and Peaches play out their own version of The Road. Alex (second favorite crew member) and Bobbie was a great pairing and I loved them working together. The attack on Earth was fantastic and the surprise attack on Tycho Station was a complete surprise to me. I didn't think Holden had a ton to do this season but was okay with that. I thought Marco Inaros was a fantastic villain and his teenage kid is an annoying ****, so mission accomplished. I could have done with a bit less captive Naomi and the broken family, but thought her post escape struggles were fantastically done. Drummer is awesome.

I can't believe S4 is the last time getting to see Alex do cool **** with the Roci. I really liked the character and thought they handled his re-written death as good as could be expected given the situation. The character went out heroically trying to save a member of his family. Cas Anvar can **** off for his actions. Monica was less annoying that when she was being a documentary minx in S3 and I grew to really like Peaches and look forward to seeing her with the crew (Amos "convincing" Holden to bring her on was hilarious). I'm super excited for S6 but also can't believe the end is near and wonder how they're going to fit everything into what will likely be a 10 episode season again. Marco Inaros needs to be dealt with, the Laconians are out there waiting to cause trouble, and lots of protomolecule stuff still needs explained.

Season rankings: 1, 5, 3, 2, 4

Random musing: The guest casting on this show cracks me up at times. Thomas Jane was **** awesome and I'm glad he made appearances post-protomolecule obliteration. Same goes for David Strathairn and Burn Gorman. On the flip side, they paid decently well known actor Jay Hernandez to show up for half of S1 and do nothing. Elizabeth Mitchell's character could have been played by anyone and it wouldn't have made a difference. Jared Harris is in the show for like 30 seconds. Tim DeKay did nothing but die. Weird stuff.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 am

Frasier is good. It somehow crosses all kinds of borders to find an audience. It's also Robert Plants favorite tv show which I always thought was weird.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:02 pm

Honorary Yinzer Seth Meyers renewed through 2025

I guess that's good? Do people actually stay up and watch these shows live? Or just watch YT clips the next day?

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:03 pm

Honorary? By marriage/family, or is he another CM alum?

MR25

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 pm

He mightve been born around here, or his parents might have?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:15 pm

Dad is from East Liberty.

shmenguin

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Meyers grows comedy in a lab in his garage. He’s studied its chemical elements and has synthesized it to be delivered to old people who really should be in bed at that time of night.

Dude is as inorganic as they come.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Ozymandias is still the best episode of TV ever. Opening credits don't even start until around the 20 minute mark.

genoscoif

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby genoscoif » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:39 pm

Mostly cause of yinz jags in this thread I started watching The Expanse last night. My wife has no interest in anything sci-fi, so I'm on my own. Even though I've heard a lot about the show, I was still somewhat caught off guard at the 'feel' of it. Lot of different elements coming together pretty seamlessly to this point. I got thru the first 5 episodes last night and can't wait to jump back in.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Enjoy. Fantastic show.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:30 pm

You know the Warz type games we occasionally play here? That’s how The Expanse started. A message board game 20 years ago, and Ty Franck would weave the posts/turns together, which came the basis for the novels.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:47 pm

I did not know that.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Spoiler alert as this was written as season 1 was filming but around the time of the forth book being released. Very in-depth background on the series and the unlikely partnership between creator, former corporate shill, and former GRRM personal assistant Ty Franck and experienced sci-fi author Daniel Abraham and becoming James S.A. Corey and writing the series.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci ... e-expanse/

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:06 pm

Spoiler alert as this was written as season 1 was filming but around the time of the forth book being released. Very in-depth background on the series and the unlikely partnership between creator, former corporate shill, and former GRRM personal assistant Ty Franck and experienced sci-fi author Daniel Abraham and becoming James S.A. Corey and writing the series.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci ... e-expanse/
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:42 am

Pacific rim anime series coming this week to Netflix and it looks great. Looking forward to this one.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 am

Oh, thanks for the heads up on that one, eddy. Looks good, and the animation reminds me of Voltron: Legendary Defender - which I would still recommend.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:55 am

Oh, thanks for the heads up on that one, eddy. Looks good, and the animation reminds me of Voltron: Legendary Defender - which I would still recommend.
That's what I was going to say. Been watching it with the kids. It's a great show. Coran Coran the Gorgeous Man

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:08 am

That's what I was going to say. Been watching it with the kids. It's a great show. Coran Coran the Gorgeous Man
You know who does his voice, right? Rhys Darby. I love him in basically everything - including What We Do in the Shadows.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 am

You know who does his voice, right? Rhys Darby. I love him in basically everything - including What We Do in the Shadows.
What? I had no idea. Just got even better. I'm pretty tempted to go back and watch the original Voltron from when I was just. I loved it then, but have no idea how well it holds up, especially with the new show being so good

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:34 am

I really enjoyed For All Mankind. Maybe it's because I'm a big space nerd, but it's very good - great acting, excellent production values. I'm sure you 4K nerds would love it, especially the stuff on the Moon.

I initially ignored it because of the early reviews, which mostly covered the first three episodes. The show really takes off after that (no pun intended lol). There is some domestic drama that I don't care for, but it serves to humanize the astronauts...so it's passable.

It's fantastic to think about what we could have done on the Moon if the public and politicians hadn't gotten bored of, you know, exploring the moon.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:26 pm

Yeah, TV coverage of the live interview with the Apollo 13 crew - you know, from space - was dropped by all the networks because ratings plummeted. They did the interview, it just wasn't broadcast by anyone.

Third ever attempt at landing people on the goddamned moon was passé.

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Yeah, TV coverage of the live interview with the Apollo 13 crew - you know, from space - was dropped by all the networks because ratings plummeted. They did the interview, it just wasn't broadcast by anyone.

Third ever attempt at landing people on the goddamned moon was passé.
Sadly yes. And by the time 15-17 came around, the general public didn't care anymore.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:18 am

We're 4 episodes into Lovecraft Country and it's definitely a show that we're currently watching. The first episode was amazing and it's been slowly downhill from there. Hopefully it picks up in the back 5.