Colossal TV Show thread

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Amazon only has Lord of the Rings rights. They don't have the rights to The Silmarillion.
They only have LOTR TV rights. The movie rights still belong to Middle-earth Enterprises. Hence it being open season on all things Tolkien.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord-of ... 202613609/
The Amazon deal does not cover “The Silmarillion,” the third major work taking place in Tolkein’s Middle Earth and adjacent worlds, published after the author’s death.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Is The Silmarillion a good read?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:04 pm

I don’t get why you keep bringing up The Silmarillion. Has anyone else even mentioned it?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:04 pm

It is good, you can definitely tell it was not edited completely.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes, but it can be a bit bland in some places.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:09 pm

I mean, I'm not trying to be a dick, but I feel like I'm having a conversation with EPP. :|

So apparently Christopher Tolkien resigned as Director of Tolkien Estate on August 29th, which is why the Tolkien Estate was involved in the Amazon deal and basically opens up the rights to all Tolkien properties.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017/11 ... en-estate/
Not true, hence:
Amazon only has Lord of the Rings rights. They don't have the rights to The Silmarillion.
Which is a Tolkien property.

They only have LOTR TV rights. The movie rights still belong to Middle-earth Enterprises. Hence it being open season on all things Tolkien.
Not true, see above, again.

The Amazon deal does not cover “The Silmarillion,” the third major work taking place in Tolkein’s Middle Earth and adjacent worlds, published after the author’s death.
I don’t get why you keep bringing up The Silmarillion. Has anyone else even mentioned it?
I brought it up because while it is Tolkien property, it's not opened up - which contradicts your statement that all Tolkien works are open. That's all I was getting at. I don't mean to be stuffy about it, I'm just passionate about all things Tolkien related and I don't to see false info spread.

:)

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Nerd.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes.

Come at me.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 pm

I wouldn't dare, the chance of slipping and falling on any number of multi-sided dice is just too great.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:41 pm

I mean, I'm not trying to be a dick, but I feel like I'm having a conversation with EPP. :|

So apparently Christopher Tolkien resigned as Director of Tolkien Estate on August 29th, which is why the Tolkien Estate was involved in the Amazon deal and basically opens up the rights to all Tolkien properties.

Not true, hence:

I brought it up because while it is Tolkien property, it's not opened up - which contradicts your statement that all Tolkien works are open. That's all I was getting at. I don't mean to be stuffy about it, I'm just passionate about all things Tolkien related and I don't to see false info spread.

But I didn’t say anything about Amazon having the rights to The Silmarillion. All they have is the TV rights to LOTR. Christopher Tolkien, who didn’t want anything Middle Earth related to ever appear outside a book, is no longer in charge, which means someone who is of a more open mind about TV and movies and theme parks and whatever the hell else is now in charge, which means it’s open season to try to acquire the rights of anything Tolkien related. Probably even The **** Silmarillion since Amazon doesn’t have the rights to it.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 pm

I wouldn't dare, the chance of slipping and falling on any number of multi-sided dice is just too great.
Never played D&D, lol.

Silentom

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Not true, hence:

But I didn’t say anything about Amazon having the rights to The Silmarillion. All they have is the TV rights to LOTR. Christopher Tolkien, who didn’t want anything Middle Earth related to ever appear outside a book, is no longer in charge, which means someone who is of a more open mind about TV and movies and theme parks and whatever the hell else is now in charge, which means it’s open season to try to acquire the rights of anything Tolkien related. Probably even The **** Silmarillion since Amazon doesn’t have the rights to it.
Fair enough.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Watching an old Law and Order where Garret Dilahunt is the suspect.

Freddy Rumsen

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Now watching Chicago PD. My word this is terrible.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 am

Now watching Chicago PD. My word this is terrible.
It was impossible for me to get past how that one guy talks. I just couldn't do it.

Freddy Rumsen

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am

I was kind of sitting on the couch pretending to read and it came up on NBC and thought I'd at least say I watched it once, but dear goodness that was trash.

Acting was terrible, plot made Walking Dead look like Shakespeare, and that guy you mention was horrid to hear talk.

It may be the worst episode of television I've ever seen.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:03 am

So Blacklist...
Did you really finally kill off Tom? Liz was in a coma for 10 months and still has use of her arms immediately, with no atrophy?

Should've killed her off too and made it the Red and Dembe show. Now that I would watch!

llipgh2

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 am

Started watching Ozzy and Jack's World Detour on A&E. Have to admit, it's an enjoyable show.

Jack is such a geek, and comes off as very down to earth. Ozzy is well, Ozzy. They do some very cool and interesting things on the show as well.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 am

Watched Stranger Things 1 again. It is, in fact, significantly better than ST2, which is merely very good.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 am

Started watching Ozzy and Jack's World Detour on A&E. Have to admit, it's an enjoyable show.

Jack is such a geek, and comes off as very down to earth. Ozzy is well, Ozzy. They do some very cool and interesting things on the show as well.
Is there a new season or are you watching repeats? We enjoyed season 1.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:09 am

Watched Stranger Things 1 again. It is, in fact, significantly better than ST2, which is merely very good.
I’m planning on doing the same. My initial reaction was they’re about equal, just different, but that could be wrong.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 am

I’m planning on doing the same. My initial reaction was they’re about equal, just different, but that could be wrong.
I thought so, too, but I simply had forgotten how perfectly paced, tightly narrated, and downright frightening ST1 is.

I dig Max, though.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 am

I agree. I watched S1 again right before S2. Props to S2 for being very good.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am

Yeah. S2 is really good but it's not at the level of S1. I think that says less about the quality of S2 and more about how amazing S1 is.